Late in the game, but I have no idea how to go about this... Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
onetimeonly95

New

Late in the game, but I have no idea how to go about this...

Post by onetimeonly95 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:56 pm

I got into law school and I start classes late August. I haven't really looked for an apartment and finally have started to look around (pretty apathetic about the whole law school thing). Anyway, I'm not quite sure how I'm going to pay for it since I have no job/money. Obviously the next best thing that I can do is take out a loan, but how would I go about this? Do I just take out a personal loan from a specific loan distributor? I'm completely out of the loop of things and would like some help. Thanks.

sundance95

Gold

Re: Late in the game, but I have no idea how to go about this...

Post by sundance95 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:59 pm

Calling flame.

In case I'm wrong, I suggest you withdraw. "Kind of apathetic" means don't go right now. Wait until you are excited.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:02 pm

Woah, cluelessly taking on 100K in debt for a degree you are "apathetic" about is a terrible, terrible idea. I cannot encourage you enough to really consider what you are doing here.

If you do decide to go, you'll need to take out Federal Stafford and Direct Plus loans (depending on the amount). You may have missed the deadlines for loans and submitting a FAFSA for the year. If that is the case, you'll have to wait a year to apply. Call your school's financial aid office for details and deadlines. Do NOT take out private loans. Ever. It could potentially ruin your life and financial future.

(I know some people will call flame. Oh well.)

onetimeonly95

New

Post by onetimeonly95 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:05 pm

jks289 wrote:Woah, cluelessly taking on 100K in debt for a degree you are "apathetic" about is a terrible, terrible idea. I cannot encourage you enough to really consider what you are doing here.

If you do decide to go, you'll need to take out Federal Stafford and Direct Plus loans (depending on the amount). You may have missed the deadlines for loans and submitting a FAFSA for the year. If that is the case, you'll have to wait a year to apply. Call your school's financial aid office for details and deadlines. Do NOT take out private loans. Ever. It could potentially ruin your life and financial future.

I received a large scholarship to a T-30..I was excited but not so much because I'm soon to be leaving great people behind. Otherwise I'm fine. But I did not miss the deadline for submitting a fafsa.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:46 am

onetimeonly95 wrote:
jks289 wrote:Woah, cluelessly taking on 100K in debt for a degree you are "apathetic" about is a terrible, terrible idea. I cannot encourage you enough to really consider what you are doing here.

I received a large scholarship to a T-30..I was excited but not so much because I'm soon to be leaving great people behind. Otherwise I'm fine. But I did not miss the deadline for submitting a fafsa.
You may not get the loans in time. In which case, you'll need a "bridge" loan (I think it's called) which can be disbursed when you get approved for federal aid. As far as I know, you pay it back when your PLUS loans get disbursed. Not 100% on that though.

Am I right here?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”