Merit-Based Fee Waivers Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
KatieKat

New

Merit-Based Fee Waivers

Post by KatieKat » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:27 pm

I am really hoping to get some app fee waivers to avoid going broke.. However, I am registered to take the LSAT for the first time in October (currently PTing at 165-169, hoping for 170+). I'm planning on having my applications ready to send out as soon as I get my score. I'm afraid that if I wait until I have my LSAT score to request merit-based fee waivers, it will take a while for schools to respond and I may not get to apply early.

Should I just go ahead and send the requests with only my GPA (3.95 LSDAS)? And if so, should I send them soon or wait until closer to September?

Gold

Re: Merit-Based Fee Waivers

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:32 pm

I did this and received 8 or 9 before I ever took the LSAT. You don't really want to wait until after if you are taking the Oct LSAT. I just sent a quick e-mail saying this is that my LSDAS GPA, where I am PT'ing at, and that while I wouldn't qualify for need-based I could use the financial assistance, is it possible to get a merit fee waiver. Some of schools said they had a policy of giving one to anyone who in anyway said it may be a financial hurdle.

I did this about Aug/Sep and a few schools weren't even set up for it yet then. NYU had actual printed fee waivers made that they mailed out and they were still at the printer when I asked.

KatieKat

New

Re: Merit-Based Fee Waivers

Post by KatieKat » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:36 pm

Thanks for the reply.. It's good to hear that you were in the same position and it worked out for you :)

Return to “Financial Aid”