A little help here guys... Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
zeth006

Silver

A little help here guys...

Post by zeth006 » Wed May 12, 2010 8:32 pm

Ok, I'm in a minor panic at the moment.

I got a $23k grant for 1L at USD. I heard from an online chat session with USD's financial aid people that because the grant is well, non-renewable, I won't be eligible for a need-based grant during 2L or 3L. At best, unless I'm top 5-9%, I can only hope for an "endowed scholarship" which could mean anything. Unless I become somehow eligible for an "endowed scholarship" the financial aid mentioned, I'll have to compete for merit-based grants. Basically every man for himself style.

So my question now. Is it typical for people who rank even as low as bottom 40-70% of their class to receive some kind of merit-based aid or endowed scholly to help pay for law school?

Gold

Re: A little help here guys...

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:21 pm

I've never really heard of someone being given aid after starting school. So, by the time you have a rank, it's way too late. Looks like you are taking out loans like most people.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:41 pm

blhoward2 wrote:I've never really heard of someone being given aid after starting school. So, by the time you have a rank, it's way too late. Looks like you are taking out loans like most people.
Then it's a bit late to ask for a top 30% stip. I didn't send deposits to other schools. No more leveraging power unless I lie.

andreea7

Bronze

Post by andreea7 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:22 am

zeth006 wrote:Ok, I'm in a minor panic at the moment.

I got a $23k grant for 1L at USD. I heard from an online chat session with USD's financial aid people that because the grant is well, non-renewable, I won't be eligible for a need-based grant during 2L or 3L. At best, unless I'm top 5-9%, I can only hope for an "endowed scholarship" which could mean anything. Unless I become somehow eligible for an "endowed scholarship" the financial aid mentioned, I'll have to compete for merit-based grants. Basically every man for himself style.

So my question now. Is it typical for people who rank even as low as bottom 40-70% of their class to receive some kind of merit-based aid or endowed scholly to help pay for law school?
Hmm, why would someone with a low rank get a "merit" scholarship? Clearly only need-based would apply if the school revisits that every year.

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:13 pm

while it is likely that you may have to take out additional loans 2/3L... I would advise talking to your FA office instead of asking strangers on TLS.... this is a school specific issue... for instance, PITT offers alot of FA that is ONLY available to 2/3L students... Your FA office will let you know how you could be eligible for this $$$ if it does exist... talk to them and if all else fails, just borrow! ha ha

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheReignmaker

New

Post by TheReignmaker » Wed May 19, 2010 12:15 pm

Compaq1984 wrote:while it is likely that you may have to take out additional loans 2/3L... I would advise talking to your FA office instead of asking strangers on TLS.... this is a school specific issue... for instance, PITT offers alot of FA that is ONLY available to 2/3L students... Your FA office will let you know how you could be eligible for this $$$ if it does exist... talk to them and if all else fails, just borrow! ha ha
+1

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Wed May 19, 2010 12:18 pm

Also, check the USD website. It talks about tuition scholarships for 2L and 3L...you just have to be the top 10-15 students.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Wed May 19, 2010 3:46 pm

CmonSD wrote:Also, check the USD website. It talks about tuition scholarships for 2L and 3L...you just have to be the top 10-15 students.

That shouldn't be too difficult. :roll:

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Wed May 19, 2010 4:01 pm

zeth006 wrote:
CmonSD wrote:Also, check the USD website. It talks about tuition scholarships for 2L and 3L...you just have to be the top 10-15 students.

That shouldn't be too difficult. :roll:
Lol right? What I was getting at is: if that is their requirement for 2L & 3L scholarships, I doubt they will give merit scholarships for the 40% range. But as an above poster said, you should talk to the school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”