GradPlus Question Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
shaville

New

GradPlus Question

Post by shaville » Wed May 05, 2010 5:08 am

I've been browsing the financial aid forum and have seen a few folks say that in order to qualify for a loan, you can't have been 90 days late on a payment in the last five years. However, others have said that you can't currently be 90 days late making a payment. Anyone know which is the case?

kalvano

Diamond

Re: GradPlus Question

Post by kalvano » Wed May 05, 2010 11:12 am

http://www.gradloans.com/graduate-plus-loan/
What kind of credit do I need?

A qualified Graduate PLUS Loan borrower does not have an adverse credit history (defined in regulations as being 90 days or more delinquent on any debt, or having a credit report that shows default, discharge, foreclosure, repossession, tax lien, wage garnishment or write-off of a Title IV debt during the five years preceding the date of the credit report). Note that Graduate and Professional Student PLUS loans do not use any kind of a debt-to-income ratio or FICO® score, unlike private education loans.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed May 05, 2010 11:16 am

kalvano wrote:http://www.gradloans.com/graduate-plus-loan/
What kind of credit do I need?

A qualified Graduate PLUS Loan borrower does not have an adverse credit history (defined in regulations as being 90 days or more delinquent on any debt, or having a credit report that shows default, discharge, foreclosure, repossession, tax lien, wage garnishment or write-off of a Title IV debt during the five years preceding the date of the credit report). Note that Graduate and Professional Student PLUS loans do not use any kind of a debt-to-income ratio or FICO® score, unlike private education loans.
More appropriate emphasis to answer the question. Cannot currently be 90 days late, cannot have a discharge, foreclosure, repo, etc. in past five years.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Sat May 08, 2010 9:44 pm

Question in regards to this...

If you have horrendous credit (like me...was unemployed for a period of time and went into default on a bunch of accounts) can a cosigner fix the issue of qualifying? I know you can have a cosigner and all, but is there ever a point where they are like "too bad, cosigner or not, you suck"?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat May 08, 2010 10:52 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:Question in regards to this...

If you have horrendous credit (like me...was unemployed for a period of time and went into default on a bunch of accounts) can a cosigner fix the issue of qualifying? I know you can have a cosigner and all, but is there ever a point where they are like "too bad, cosigner or not, you suck"?
No, as long as your cosigner qualifies, you're good.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Sun May 09, 2010 5:36 pm

Renzo wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:Question in regards to this...

No, as long as your cosigner qualifies, you're good.
Thanks. I'm trying to manage my anxiety about Grad Plus...it's the only thing I'm genuinely worried about right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”