GULG need aid? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
flyover

New

GULG need aid?

Post by flyover » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:09 am

Sorry, but I can't find a clear answer to this: What does need aid at GULC require?

I was told recently that I was deemed ineligible for need-based aid.

I find this odd because I have basically zilch for savings, am scraping by on tutoring and contract work currently and my parents will contribute zero to law school (and I wouldn't ask any more).

Do I need to have been on food stamps before? Should I bother appealing?

starsong

Bronze

Re: GULG need aid?

Post by starsong » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:52 pm

flyover wrote:Sorry, but I can't find a clear answer to this: What does need aid at GULC require?

I find this odd because I have basically zilch for savings, am scraping by on tutoring and contract work currently and my parents will contribute zero to law school (and I wouldn't ask any more).

GULC is extremely stingy with need-based aid. As with most schools, the formula takes into account your parents ability to contribute, not how much they will, in fact, contribute.

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:58 pm

flyover wrote:Sorry, but I can't find a clear answer to this: What does need aid at GULC require?

Are you talking about grants or loans?

I don't think that their grants are need-based.

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:01 pm

violinst wrote:

By definition, grants are need-based. Scholarships, on the other hand, are usually merit-based.

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:05 pm

starsong wrote:
violinst wrote:

By definition, grants are need-based. Scholarships, on the other hand, are usually merit-based.
True.

At GULC, they call it Dean's Tuition Grant. I was told that it's the same as a Dean's Scholarship. I believe that it is the only kind of grant they give. Correct me if I am wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:08 pm

violinst wrote:
starsong wrote:
violinst wrote:

True.

At GULC, they call it Dean's Tuition Grant. I was told that it's the same as a Dean's Scholarship. I believe that it is the only kind of grant they give. Correct me if I am wrong.
Yeah, the terminology is confusing. I received a certain merit scholarship, but a larger number was listed under "Dean's Tuition Grant". So the difference may be a need-based grant.

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:24 pm

starsong wrote:
violinst wrote:
starsong wrote:
Yeah, the terminology is confusing. I received a certain merit scholarship, but a larger number was listed under "Dean's Tuition Grant". So the difference may be a need-based grant.
Oh, I thought that mine was merit-based....

flyover

New

Post by flyover » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:37 pm

starsong wrote:As with most schools, the formula takes into account your parents ability to contribute, not how much they will, in fact, contribute.
Yeah, this is what worried me. I suppose in theory my family could contribute if they don't mind living out of a cardboard box and eating ramen like I probably will.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”