Adverse Credit Student Loans without a co-signer? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
evilgenius

Bronze

Adverse Credit Student Loans without a co-signer?

Post by evilgenius » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:13 pm

Out of curiosity does anyone know of any private student loans for those with adverse credit that don't require a co-signer? I have applied for a grad plus loan, but all of the schools I spoke with said that they can't process my application until July, and thus cant tell me whether or not I'm approved.

I don't have extremely bad credit, but I'm very nervous about not finding out whether I will be able to pay for school until July. I'm also worried about not knowing if I'll need a co-signer until then. Any suggestions are welcome.

twopoodles

Bronze

Re: Adverse Credit Student Loans without a co-signer?

Post by twopoodles » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:37 pm

At this point, you're the only one who knows...how bad is your credit? If you have missed more than one payment in a row in the last five years...start befriending a potential cosigner. If you just have more debt than income, well, welcome to the club.

If you don't know what's on your credit report, find out. Honestly, it is not that difficult to guess. In general, however, if you do find a bank to finance you when the gov't wouldn't, there's a good chance you're going to be paying insane interest and if you are taking out a lot, it is probably not a good idea.

Return to “Financial Aid”