Where do I send scholarship negotiation letter for NYU? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
democrattotheend

Bronze

Where do I send scholarship negotiation letter for NYU?

Post by democrattotheend » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:08 pm

I want to ask NYU to match/consider UVA's offer. I have my letter written but am not sure where to send it. The general admissions e-mail address I have is jd-admissions@exchange.law.nyu.edu, and the financial aid e-mail I have is law.finaid@nyu.edu. Should I send it to one or both of those e-mail addresses, or somewhere else? Or should I mail it instead?

starrydecisus

Silver

Re: Where do I send scholarship negotiation letter for NYU?

Post by starrydecisus » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:12 pm

If it's merit scholarships, you should send it to the admissions office. If it's financial need stuff, then you hit up financial aid. good luck!

Applicant2010

Bronze

Post by Applicant2010 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:14 pm

You can also send an email to the admissions office asking to whom you should direct a question concerning merit-aid.

jim9o011

New

Post by jim9o011 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:17 pm

Here's what I was told when I e-mailed the Director of Student Financial Services:

"Dear XXXXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting the Office of Student Financial Services at NYU School of Law regarding your financial aid award. In order to formally submit your request for reconsideration of your award package, please log back into the financial aid application system located at the following link: https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html Once you have logged in, click on the My Appeal selection located in the navigation bar at the top of the screen. Our office will review your submitted request and you will be notified of our decision via email.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Joel Schoenecker
Director of Student Financial Services"

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:25 pm

jim9o011 wrote:Here's what I was told when I e-mailed the Director of Student Financial Services:

"Dear XXXXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting the Office of Student Financial Services at NYU School of Law regarding your financial aid award. In order to formally submit your request for reconsideration of your award package, please log back into the financial aid application system located at the following link: https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html Once you have logged in, click on the My Appeal selection located in the navigation bar at the top of the screen. Our office will review your submitted request and you will be notified of our decision via email.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Joel Schoenecker
Director of Student Financial Services"
Thanks for the info. I have not yet gotten my financial aid info, so I guess I'll probably have to wait until I do and then appeal. I didn't have the UVA scholarship then, so I couldn't mention it when I applied. Who knows if it will count for anything anyway?

nahgems

Bronze

Post by nahgems » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:40 pm

This isn't an NYU specific response, but I thought I would add to the thread. I sent scholarship negotiation letters to three schools last year. I received responses from all three. One shot me down. Two of them actually increased my scholarship. To decide who to send the letters to I went back through emails (Application Complete/Acceptance/Invitation to Accepted Students Day) I had received from the admissions office. I picked an email that was from a "real" email address (not generic admissions@lawschoolname.edu) and I sent the letter. In one case, the person responded that they had forwarded my email to the Dean of Admissions. In two other cases the associate Dean of Admissions (who I had sent the letter to) responded directly. When I picked the "wrong" person, he let me know and politely forwarded it to the correct person. If you are a strong enough candidate to be negotiating aid, the admissions staff members are generally nice and helpful. Don't stress over little things like exactly who the letter should be sent to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”