Worth A LOT of Loans??? help! Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
renee1693

New

Worth A LOT of Loans??? help!

Post by renee1693 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:57 pm

My dilemma:

So UF and UM would be extremely cheap for me. However, I absolutely don't want to live/study/practice in Florida.

University of Illinois gave me $75,000 but its in the middle of the cornfields, and I don't know how competitive it is in the Chicago and the east coast job markets.

Wash U only gave me $30,000 but I liked it and St. Louis, but again I don't really know much about it or its placement.

GW is ideally where I want to go but they only gave me $30,000. I love DC and I loved GW.

When is it not worth taking out excessive loans to go to law school, especially when the alternatives are less than ideal??

please help =(

lawyering

Bronze

Re: Worth A LOT of Loans??? help!

Post by lawyering » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:59 pm

I'd recommend checking out their LRAP offerings...that could make the difference between smart loans and dangerous ones. Good luck with your decision!!

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:43 pm

Forget UM and UF if you don't want to practice in Florida. The other three are harder. If you want low debt go illinois. if you want to maximize your DC chances, go Washington or GW.

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:58 pm

Keeping everythign the same, Washu would b the cheapest of the options (ie. going to a school to place you in the DC market).

GW will obviously place well but will cost you an additional 10k/yr due to COL. WashU places well in pretty much all the major markets in DC and the Midwest - don;t know for sure about Cali and the West.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”