How does this work? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
lala222

New

How does this work?

Post by lala222 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:39 am

I know this is going to sound really dumb, but I figure what the hell I'll ask anyways.

How does this whole scholarship/getting money thing work? Do you wait until the school offers you money, or do you have to call them and ask for one? If the school was going to give me money, would they have offered it straight away in the acceptance letter?

I've gotten admitted to a few schools, none of which I believe I was a 'must have candidate for admission'. I have an ok GPA/LSAT score.

Do I just fill out FAFSA and wait, or is there something I can proactively do?

rw2264

Bronze

Re: How does this work?

Post by rw2264 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:54 am

fill out the fafsa and expect loan offers.

if you end up getting merit based aid from any of the schools you can possibly attempt to negotiate for more with others that gave you less money/none. but if you weren't a "must have" candidate at any of the schools you applied for, you probably won't get money from them.

lala222

New

Post by lala222 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:04 am

rw2264 wrote:fill out the fafsa and expect loan offers.

if you end up getting merit based aid from any of the schools you can possibly attempt to negotiate for more with others that gave you less money/none. but if you weren't a "must have" candidate at any of the schools you applied for, you probably won't get money from them.
Can you fill out fafsa before you know which school you are going to?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:25 am

lala222 wrote:
rw2264 wrote:fill out the fafsa and expect loan offers.

Can you fill out fafsa before you know which school you are going to?
Yes, in fact everyone should do this.

lala222

New

Post by lala222 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:59 pm

When I call the school to ask for money who should I ask to talk to? And how should I ask?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”