Making a price conscious choice after 120k in debt with IBR Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
OneSixtySix

Bronze

Making a price conscious choice after 120k in debt with IBR

Post by OneSixtySix » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:02 am

Lets say I was choosing between a school @ 160k in debt and a school @100k in debt. If I have an interest in going into IBR, how logical is it to disregard the debt total in light of IBR/LRAP/etc? It almost seems that after a certain point, its worth it to go wherever I wish and deal with 10 years @ 10 percent of income.

For what its worth I'm talking T15-25, (maybe T10-25 if I'm lucky).

erniesto

Bronze

Re: Making a price conscious choice after 120k in debt with IBR

Post by erniesto » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:12 am

I've been mulling over this thought as well. I'm not in the same range, but assuming (hoping) I get into one of my reaches in the 30-45 range at sticker I'm going to have to compare that offer with Tier 2s who are throwing paper at me equaling 1/2 to 3/4 tuition.

IBR makes debt seem a minor issue.

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:16 am

OneSixtySix wrote:It almost seems that after a certain point, its worth it to go wherever I wish and deal with 10 years @ 10 percent of income.
Everything I've read and re-read and re-read about IBR suggests this. Now, figuring where that threshold is is the tricky part.

Given my plan for govt/PI and the certainty that I'll be looking at $120K+ in debt (looking at same situation as above poster ... hoping to swing a coupla those 30-45ers, surely at sticker), I'll definitely let IBR level the field and choose my school based on everything OTHER THAN debt.

letsdoit1982

Bronze

Post by letsdoit1982 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:17 am

OneSixtySix wrote:Lets say I was choosing between a school @ 160k in debt and a school @100k in debt. If I have an interest in going into IBR, how logical is it to disregard the debt total in light of IBR/LRAP/etc? It almost seems that after a certain point, its worth it to go wherever I wish and deal with 10 years @ 10 percent of income.

I'm dealing with the exact same predicament. If you are POSITIVE that you are going to do PI and if you are POSITIVE that you can get the PI job you want, then do it. In fact, you might as well take out as much debt as you can in federal loans and use that money to buy anything random you want (or save it for monthly payments). Your monthly payments won't change one iota, so who cares? This way the tax payers will essentially end up paying for your new car, new clothes, etc. MANY people are going exploit IBR like this, and while I thought it was unethical at first, I figure it serves the govt. right for not realizing that these types of programs get taken advantage of. :D

This is actually one big problem with IBR now that I think about it. Lets say that I get a full scholarship to a school. I can still take out 150k in debt, and while I will end up paying back approximately 40k of that back (10 year IBR), the tax payers just paid me 110k to go to law school.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:56 am

letsdoit1982 wrote:
OneSixtySix wrote:Lets say I was choosing between a school @ 160k in debt and a school @100k in debt. If I have an interest in going into IBR, how logical is it to disregard the debt total in light of IBR/LRAP/etc? It almost seems that after a certain point, its worth it to go wherever I wish and deal with 10 years @ 10 percent of income.

I'm dealing with the exact same predicament. If you are POSITIVE that you are going to do PI and if you are POSITIVE that you can get the PI job you want, then do it. In fact, you might as well take out as much debt as you can in federal loans and use that money to buy anything random you want (or save it for monthly payments). Your monthly payments won't change one iota, so who cares? This way the tax payers will essentially end up paying for your new car, new clothes, etc. MANY people are going exploit IBR like this, and while I thought it was unethical at first, I figure it serves the govt. right for not realizing that these types of programs get taken advantage of. :D

This is actually one big problem with IBR now that I think about it. Lets say that I get a full scholarship to a school. I can still take out 150k in debt, and while I will end up paying back approximately 40k of that back (10 year IBR), the tax payers just paid me 110k to go to law school.
no you can't. schools will cap the amount you can take out for living expenses (if you have a full ride) and it takes quite an appeal to take out more (like having a family)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

letsdoit1982

Bronze

Post by letsdoit1982 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:09 pm

Veritas wrote:
letsdoit1982 wrote:

no you can't. schools will cap the amount you can take out for living expenses (if you have a full ride) and it takes quite an appeal to take out more (like having a family)
I didn't think it was up to schools. I thought it was up to the federal government.

NYC2013

New

Post by NYC2013 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:01 pm

You get your loan money through the school. You don't just submit a form online asking for 150k and get a check from uncle sam. You submit forms through the gov't that the school's financial aid office then uses to coordinate loans, scholarships, and grants UP TO the expected cost of attendance, meaning you're living on a tight fixed income if you're going with 100% loan/grant financing

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:11 pm

letsdoit1982 wrote: I'm dealing with the exact same predicament. If you are POSITIVE that you are going to do PI and if you are POSITIVE that you can get the PI job you want, then do it. In fact, you might as well take out as much debt as you can in federal loans and use that money to buy anything random you want (or save it for monthly payments). Your monthly payments won't change one iota, so who cares? This way the tax payers will essentially end up paying for your new car, new clothes, etc. MANY people are going exploit IBR like this, and while I thought it was unethical at first, I figure it serves the govt. right for not realizing that these types of programs get taken advantage of. :D

Ok, 1) there is a cap on how much you borrow. I was able to live well under the total cost of living in undergrad, so I assume you can live under it comfortably and then take out more money for crap. So its possible.

But 2) How is it not unethical simply because the gov't foots the bill instead of a person or private institution? And saying "the gov't will pay for it" is saying we, as taxpayers will pay for it! I love it when people say, oh the government can pay for it.

Also, back to OP: IBR is a back-ended forgiveness program. Meaning if you lose your qualifying employment and/or want to work in something else in year 9 of repayment, all of that extra interest and the principal that you weren't paying is still there. Of course, everything's forgiven after 25 years even without PI/gov work, but that's a hell of a long time to have your wages garnished by 10%.

monique522

New

Post by monique522 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:17 pm

beesknees wrote: Also, back to OP: IBR is a back-ended forgiveness program. Meaning if you lose your qualifying employment and/or want to work in something else in year 9 of repayment, all of that extra interest and the principal that you weren't paying is still there. Of course, everything's forgiven after 25 years even without PI/gov work, but that's a hell of a long time to have your wages garnished by 10%.
you fool, if your wages are being garnished, you have a whole hell of a lot more problems than "IBR" can solve

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:21 pm

beesknees wrote: Also, back to OP: IBR is a back-ended forgiveness program. Meaning if you lose your qualifying employment and/or want to work in something else in year 9 of repayment, all of that extra interest and the principal that you weren't paying is still there.
This is true, but I believe you can pick up any other federal job (teacher, garbage man, etc.) and start the clock back up at 9 years.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:27 pm

Veritas wrote:
letsdoit1982 wrote:

False. Everyone can borrow up to the limit in the student budget with no consideration for scholarship amounts. Why do 0L's post nonsense like this?

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:04 pm

JPU wrote: False. Everyone can borrow up to the limit in the student budget with no consideration for scholarship amounts. Why do 0L's post nonsense like this?
I posted it because that's what I was told by a financial aid person.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:30 pm

Last edited by Mr. Matlock on Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:39 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, and I may be, BUT, I don't believe GRAD PLUS loans are covered in this program. Just Perkins and Stafford.

(Please prove I'm wrong!!! )
You're wrong, but I've got no proof at the moment.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:44 pm

snakemongler84 wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, and I may be, BUT, I don't believe GRAD PLUS loans are covered in this program. Just Perkins and Stafford.

(Please prove I'm wrong!!! )
You're wrong, but I've got no proof at the moment.
http://www.ibrinfo.org/what.vp.html#pslf

It is towards the bottom of the page.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:46 pm

Last edited by Mr. Matlock on Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:57 pm

JPU wrote:
Veritas wrote:
letsdoit1982 wrote:

[strike]False. Everyone can borrow up to the limit in the student budget with no consideration for scholarship amounts. Why do 0L's post nonsense like this?[/strike]
Actually, it's true. This is from an actual financial aid communication from a school:
Keep in mind that you are guaranteed $20,500 in federal loan funds if you submitted your 2009-2010 FAFSA. Also, the remaining cost that isn’t met through the $20,500 and/or scholarship offers, will be offered to you through the Grad Plus program. The credit check for the Grad Plus program does not take a long time to complete.
Your budget takes into account your scholarship award, and allows you to take out more only to meet the difference between the $20.5k + scholarship and the COA...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:59 pm

JPU wrote:
Veritas wrote:
letsdoit1982 wrote:

False. Everyone can borrow up to the limit in the student budget with no consideration for scholarship amounts. Why do 0L's post nonsense like this?
TINTCR. Methinks you're the clueless 0L.

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:01 pm

What if you borrow 200k and then qualify for a full scholarship after you borrow? Can you still do 10% IBR for 10 years and pocket the majority of the loan?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:24 pm

whuts4lunch wrote:What if you borrow 200k and then qualify for a full scholarship after you borrow? Can you still do 10% IBR for 10 years and pocket the majority of the loan?
Loans aren't disbursed until just before classes start, so you'd certainly know about any scholarships by then. And you're bound to report all scholarships to FAFSA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”