Was I supposed to leave parental information off the FAFSA? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
galahad85

Bronze

Was I supposed to leave parental information off the FAFSA?

Post by galahad85 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:52 pm

Even though the FAFSA said that I was considered independent, I went ahead and included parental information, since the schools I've been accepted it require that info anyway on the NeedAccess form (damn that thing). Now I'm not sure though - should I have just left it off of the FAFSA? I don't want it to hurt my eligibility for loans.

dakatz

Gold

Re: Was I supposed to leave parental information off the FAFSA?

Post by dakatz » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:54 pm

galahad85 wrote:Even though the FAFSA said that I was considered independent, I went ahead and included parental information, since the schools I've been accepted it require that info anyway on the NeedAccess form (damn that thing). Now I'm not sure though - should I have just left it off of the FAFSA? I don't want it to hurt my eligibility for loans.
I don't think it will be factored into the mathematical calculation they use. There is one school I applied to (GW) which requires the parent info on the FAFSA. I called up to find out how I can send that info to GW without sending it to the others, but the woman said it wouldn't matter if the info went to every other school because it wasn't part of their formula for calculation.

galahad85

Bronze

Re: Was I supposed to leave parental information off the FAFSA?

Post by galahad85 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:59 pm

dakatz wrote:
galahad85 wrote:Even though the FAFSA said that I was considered independent, I went ahead and included parental information, since the schools I've been accepted it require that info anyway on the NeedAccess form (damn that thing). Now I'm not sure though - should I have just left it off of the FAFSA? I don't want it to hurt my eligibility for loans.
I don't think it will be factored into the mathematical calculation they use. There is one school I applied to (GW) which requires the parent info on the FAFSA. I called up to find out how I can send that info to GW without sending it to the others, but the woman said it wouldn't matter if the info went to every other school because it wasn't part of their formula for calculation.
Okay. Thanks.

I guess this whole process is just making me a little paranoid.

Return to “Financial Aid”