Credit Requirement for PLUS Loan Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
chameleon

New

Credit Requirement for PLUS Loan

Post by chameleon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:55 pm

Does anyone know what sort of credit score is required to avoid needing a cosigner for the PLUS loan? My parents are more broke than I am and I am hoping my fair credit score will be enough.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Credit Requirement for PLUS Loan

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:00 pm

It's not about your credit score, I believe they only are checking for outstanding delinquencies. If you don't have any outstanding unpaid debts they should approve you. Since these are federally-backed loans, it's insanely hard to discharge them during bankruptcy, and presumably an advanced degree will allow you to make enough money to pay them back, they don't care so much about your current credit score, just your current reliability.

misslawyer2013

New

Post by misslawyer2013 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:02 pm

vanwinkle wrote:It's not about your credit score, I believe they only are checking for outstanding delinquencies. If you don't have any outstanding unpaid debts they should approve you. Since these are federally-backed loans, it's insanely hard to discharge them during bankruptcy, and presumably an advanced degree will allow you to make enough money to pay them back, they don't care so much about your current credit score, just your current reliability.
Disqualified for some large unpaid hospital bills. What can I say, i'm broke with no health insurance. :cry:

Oblomov

Bronze

Post by Oblomov » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:08 pm

misslawyer2013 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:It's not about your credit score, I believe they only are checking for outstanding delinquencies. If you don't have any outstanding unpaid debts they should approve you. Since these are federally-backed loans, it's insanely hard to discharge them during bankruptcy, and presumably an advanced degree will allow you to make enough money to pay them back, they don't care so much about your current credit score, just your current reliability.
Disqualified for some large unpaid hospital bills. What can I say, i'm broke with no health insurance. :cry:
God bless America, keeping the poor poor.

But the first quoted post is correct. It does't matter what your score is, so long as you don't have any accounts unpaid. The latter will disqualify you even if it is for $1.

conformalgeom

New

Post by conformalgeom » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:40 pm

Oblomov wrote:It does't matter what your score is, so long as you don't have any accounts unpaid. The latter will disqualify you even if it is for $1.
Please tell me this wouldn't include Stafford loans I still have to repay from undergrad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:43 pm

conformalgeom wrote:
Oblomov wrote:It does't matter what your score is, so long as you don't have any accounts unpaid. The latter will disqualify you even if it is for $1.
Please tell me this wouldn't include Stafford loans I still have to repay from undergrad.
It's only about delinquency. You can have outstanding debt, as long as you've been making payments on time. If you have, you'll be fine.

monkeygirl

New

Post by monkeygirl » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:27 am

One thing to add:

When I read over the eligibility requirements, I noticed that any defaults, repossessions, tax liens, etc. in the last five years will result in you having an "adverse credit history." In those cases, as well as what has already been mentioned, you will need a cosigner.

Fortunately, 2004 was my bad year. :lol:

Here's a link to Q&A from PLUS:

http://studentaid.ed.gov/students/attac ... oansQA.pdf

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:31 am

Oblomov wrote:
God bless America, keeping the poor poor.
Yeah, evil America, paying for people to go to law school... :roll:

luckyjd

Bronze

Post by luckyjd » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:39 am

misslawyer2013 wrote:
Did you try to contact the hospital to work out a discounted deal? They give the uninsured significant discounts. It's better than having collection out on you :?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”