CLEO 2010 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
JDO

New

Re: CLEO 2010

Post by JDO » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:09 pm

I'll be in Missouri. Just got a waitlist email and responded to Ms. Williams' direct line... Answered a question or two, then she slipped in a statement that I would receive a letter of acceptance!

JDO

New

Post by JDO » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:23 pm

I'm putting together a message to the schools that are still reviewing my application. I am contacting the admissions offices. What should I say in the letter? Any advice?

kimmie

New

Post by kimmie » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:17 am

Congrats JDO
See u were worrying for nothing...

JDO

New

Post by JDO » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:23 pm

Thanks Kimmie, I've been following this thread and using it as support. I hope that others get that last chance to get in as well.

Was there a facebook group created?

tgt007

New

Post by tgt007 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:19 am

http://www.facebook.com/groups/create.p ... 528&ref=mf
2010 CLEO Six Week Summer Institute - Missouri

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=3 ... 198&ref=nf
2010 CLEO Six Week Summer Institute - FIU

JDO

New

Post by JDO » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:45 am

The links do not work for me. Could you give me the name of the group? Thanks TG.

tgt007

New

Post by tgt007 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:31 am

Try these links... If they don't work then the keywords should.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/gro ... 5843652528
2010 CLEO Six Week Summer Institute – Missouri

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/gro ... 5994158198

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:14 am

Trelawny wrote:
tab wrote:Hey! I am a little confused about this whole nomination process. I applied for the program in November and still have not received a decision. I have gotten acceptances to Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Emory and George Washington Law. I was waitlisted at UVA and I'm still waiting to hear from 7 other top 15 institutions. I am currently working in a country with limited internet/phone access so it has been a hassle trying to figure out what the program needs from me. My brother phoned the office and was told that my school acceptances were not enough. Apparently they have not gotten nominations from the schools I listed. Did anyone contact their law schools directly for a nomination or does CLEO need to request this nomination?
I think you don't need CLEO's six week institute. Your acceptances in to Tier 1 schools is better than what the program will offer you. I can imagine all the scholarships that you will receive from those schools compared to you paying CLEO $2000 and receiving back 5k or 2k a year. I suggest you apply to the Attitude is Essential Program, it's two days and is free and you will receive the same benefits as those who went through the summer program. CONGRATS!!
This person sounds more like a Law Preview candidate than a CLEO candidate...even though some students admitted to CLEO have also been admitted to top law schools.

JDO

New

Post by JDO » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:22 am

tgt007 wrote:Try these links... If they don't work then the keywords should.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/gro ... 5843652528
2010 CLEO Six Week Summer Institute – Missouri

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/gro ... 5994158198
Thanks, these ones worked!

Coriecej01

New

Post by Coriecej01 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:56 pm

For those attending CLEO's Six Week Summer Institute in Missouri,

I'll be one of three TA's this summer for the institute. If you have any Columbia, MO specific questions, please feel free to shoot them my way. I'll try to be timely in my response. I'm currently awaiting acceptance into the Facebook group and will field questions there as well.

Good Luck to all the applicants and I'll see you all in June! :)

kimmie

New

Post by kimmie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:34 am

First of all, thanks Coriecej01 for taking out the time to help us on questions. I have heard constantly of the substantial amount of reading we will have to do and on my Missouri admit letter I noticed it said that there will be Saturday sessions. Do you know the time frame of those sessions on Saturdays because that was going to be the days I planned to get ahead on my reading?

Please let me know and thanks once again.

Coriecej01 wrote:For those attending CLEO's Six Week Summer Institute in Missouri,

I'll be one of three TA's this summer for the institute. If you have any Columbia, MO specific questions, please feel free to shoot them my way. I'll try to be timely in my response. I'm currently awaiting acceptance into the Facebook group and will field questions there as well.

SportsFanatic

Bronze

Post by SportsFanatic » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:24 am

Coriecej01 wrote:For those attending CLEO's Six Week Summer Institute in Missouri,

Thanks for answering questions.... I do have one non law or curriculum related question. Is there a gym or work-out facility we will be able to use while there?

Coriecej01

New

Post by Coriecej01 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:29 am

kimmie wrote:First of all, thanks Coriecej01 for taking out the time to help us on questions. I have heard constantly of the substantial amount of reading we will have to do and on my Missouri admit letter I noticed it said that there will be Saturday sessions. Do you know the time frame of those sessions on Saturdays because that was going to be the days I planned to get ahead on my reading?

Please let me know and thanks once again.
No Problem!

There will be a substantial amount of reading, as they are trying to simulate the law school experience as closely as possible. So, you may have up to 15 pages of reading for every class. Add that to the fact that you will be reading case law, which at times can be really boring. It can take a couple hours to get through it all.

As far as the Saturday Sessions, as I understand it, this will be a time when they bring in speakers, or take trips. So, while you will not be in class, it will take time away from reading. Again, the schedule is still in the process of being finalized, so I'm not sure how often the Saturday Sessions will occur or how long the session might be. However, if I get any additional information regarding the session, I will shoot you a message.

-C

Coriecej01

New

Post by Coriecej01 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:33 am

SportsFanatic wrote:

Thanks for answering questions.... I do have one non law or curriculum related question. Is there a gym or work-out facility we will be able to use while there?
Yes, there is a Recreation Center (and it's pretty nice), within a very short walking distance from the law school. It is open to the public for a fee. I am unsure what the fee is, however if you want, I can try to find out.

YourExcellence-ness

New

Post by YourExcellence-ness » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:09 pm

Thanks for taking questions. Where will we be living.. and will we have to share the actual bedroom with a roommate or are there special suite style accommodations that can be made? I dont necessarily have a problem with sharing a room but i'd like to know ahead of time what to expect. If we do indeed have roommates, how are they chosen? If we already know someone who will also be attending, can we request to room together?

Coriecej01

New

Post by Coriecej01 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:40 pm

YourExcellence-ness wrote:

Thanks for taking questions. Where will we be living.. and will we have to share the actual bedroom with a roommate or are there special suite style accommodations that can be made? I dont necessarily have a problem with sharing a room but i'd like to know ahead of time what to expect. If we do indeed have roommates, how are they chosen? If we already know someone who will also be attending, can we request to room together?
I know that you all will be staying on campus, in the dorms, however I don't think you will have a room mate.

kimmie

New

Post by kimmie » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:32 am

I'm so excited! I'm driving down, will anyone else be doing the same?

YourExcellence-ness

New

Post by YourExcellence-ness » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:34 am

kimmie wrote:I'm so excited! I'm driving down, will anyone else be doing the same?

I guess i gotta break down and buy a plane ticket. The drive from the dirty dirty would prove to be way too difficult.

YourExcellence-ness

New

Post by YourExcellence-ness » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:48 pm

Just had the most interesting conversation with Mrs. Williams. This woman is a character and plays no games.. it might be a long summer! lol

kimmie

New

Post by kimmie » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Please PM me and let me know what this convo was in regards to....lol

YourExcellence-ness

New

Post by YourExcellence-ness » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:40 pm

kimmie wrote:Please PM me and let me know what this convo was in regards to....lol
It wasnt really what she said but it was how she said it. I called to ask if they would send an official letter to the schools that had waitlisted me. She let me know that it is my job to do that.. along with making comments like "oh we are going to to do it right this summer".. she went on to pull my file and i guess see my info and where i went to college. she said "I knew you had to have gone to that school.. i can always smell yall.. always trying to make people work for you" HILARIOUS.

All and all she is clearly very knowledgeable and has been at this for a while. When I told her which schools had waitlisted me she told me what i should include in my letter which was pretty general (I will be attending the CLEO 6-week summer program at The University of Missouri-Columbia Law and want to know if you would reconsider my application after I complete the program. Please advise." She also pointed out a word that i had mispelled on some part of my application. She is definitely serious and about business.. I can definitely appreciate her ability to be upfront. She was most certainly upfront when i told her that i had been rejected from a certain school.. she said "oh if they denied you then that's final." like i said... interesting. OHHHH... and getting past the secretary in order to speak with Mrs. Williams was quite the task in itself.

Coriecej01

New

Post by Coriecej01 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:56 pm

Yes, Ms. Williams is a tough cookie. Don't BS her, because she will call you on it. Luckily, I don't have personal experience with this, but I have witnessed it.

FYI- for those of you who will be flying. I have to tell you- it may be a bit complicated or expensive, depending upon many factors. Columbia has a regional airport, however I am unfamiliar with what airlines actually fly in to that airport. When I travel, I usually fly out of Kansas City, MO (which is about 2 hours west of Columbia). You can also fly in to/out of St. Louis, which is about 1 1/2 hours east of Columbia. If you fly into Chicago, then you will still have about a six hour drive to Columbia.

PLEASE NOTE: I say all this not knowing what information CLEO has given you regarding travel to and from Columbia from your respective locations.

Trelawny

New

Post by Trelawny » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:29 pm

I got accepted into cleo. Not sure that I would like to attend because I have to sign that I will attend the school that nominated me in order to complete the program.

Trelawny

New

Post by Trelawny » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:31 pm

Coriecej01 wrote:Yes, Ms. Williams is a tough cookie. Don't BS her, because she will call you on it. Luckily, I don't have personal experience with this, but I have witnessed it.

FYI- for those of you who will be flying. I have to tell you- it may be a bit complicated or expensive, depending upon many factors. Columbia has a regional airport, however I am unfamiliar with what airlines actually fly in to that airport. When I travel, I usually fly out of Kansas City, MO (which is about 2 hours west of Columbia). You can also fly in to/out of St. Louis, which is about 1 1/2 hours east of Columbia. If you fly into Chicago, then you will still have about a six hour drive to Columbia.

PLEASE NOTE: I say all this not knowing what information CLEO has given you regarding travel to and from Columbia from your respective locations.
I hate small planes. Plus how much is a cab from the airport to the University. I have not been given a placement yet but really don't want to go to Missouri. It's too expensive and again I hate small planes.

kimmie

New

Post by kimmie » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:00 pm

@ Coriecej01, will we be stuck with cafeteria food only?

Coriecej01 wrote:Yes, Ms. Williams is a tough cookie. Don't BS her, because she will call you on it. Luckily, I don't have personal experience with this, but I have witnessed it.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”