Chances at HYS? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jw316

Silver

Chances at HYS?

Post by jw316 » Tue May 05, 2009 7:43 pm

I'm just wrapping up my freshman year, 4.0 first semester and after obtaining a heartbreaking 3.5 in one class [4.0's in the rest] this semester, I'm expecting to finish the year with a cumulative 3.94. If I maintain a GPA between a 3.88 and a 3.98, at bare minimum what range do I need to aim for on the LSAT for admission into HYS as an AA male?

Additionally, when should I begin prepping for the LSAT given the fact that I want to take either the February or June 2011 test?

I've got a better resumé than almost anyone I know with a summer internship at a major corporation while in high school, active in student government at a Big Ten university, and as I'm only a freshman I plan on continuing to build it up even more.

P.S. I know this is early, I need to focus on maintaining a high GPA, etc. but I've been on the verge of an anxiety attack over the 3.5 I got....and no, it's not a sign of immaturity, I'm just incredibly driven to the point where some may argue it's unhealthy.

Thank you!
Last edited by jw316 on Tue May 05, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geoanthem

Bronze

Re: Chances at HYS?

Post by geoanthem » Tue May 05, 2009 7:43 pm

Is this a joke? Come back in a few years.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue May 05, 2009 7:44 pm

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Tue May 05, 2009 7:45 pm

165 should be good, but please, in order to enjoy college and continue getting good grades, don't think about the LSAT for another year or year and a half.

jw316

Silver

Post by jw316 » Tue May 05, 2009 7:46 pm

geoanthem wrote:Is this a joke? Come back in a few years.
No it's not a joke. Obviously I can't necessarily accurately predict my academic performance, but assuming things continue the way they have been there's no reason why I can't make the argument that the GPA range given will be accurate.

jw316

Silver

Post by jw316 » Tue May 05, 2009 7:47 pm

legends159 wrote:165
mallard wrote:165 should be good, but please, in order to enjoy college and continue getting good grades, don't think about the LSAT for another year or year and a half.
Thank you very much.

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Tue May 05, 2009 7:48 pm

jw316 wrote:
No it's not a joke. Obviously I can't necessarily accurately predict my academic performance, but assuming things continue the way they have been there's no reason why I can't make the argument that the GPA range given will be accurate.
You can agree that this is a bold assumption, right?

jacktripper

New

Post by jacktripper » Tue May 05, 2009 7:48 pm

just focus on your GPA for now. Wait at least till the end of 2009 till you begin thinking about the LSAT.

jco

New

Post by jco » Tue May 05, 2009 7:50 pm

jw316 wrote:
I don't think geoanthem was reacting to your GPA projection.

For your own sake, don't begin worrying about the LSAT already. Try to get some relaxation and have a little fun to avoid burnout. Concentrate on your studies. Learn about topics that interest you. Grow as a person. That kind of thing. In the long run that will do more for your success in getting into and doing well in law schools like HYS.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Tue May 05, 2009 7:52 pm

jco wrote:
jw316 wrote:

For your own sake, don't begin worrying about the LSAT already. Try to get some relaxation and have a little fun to avoid burnout. Concentrate on your studies. Learn about topics that interest you. Grow as a person. That kind of thing. In the long run that will do more for your success in getting into and doing well in law schools like HYS.
Thats exactly what I meant. Thanks for putting it so succinctly.

jw316

Silver

Post by jw316 » Tue May 05, 2009 7:54 pm

SoxyPirate wrote:
jw316 wrote:
Yes, I can agree that it's a bold assumption but given the fact that I almost wasn't even admitted into the university I'm attending due to a fairly low high school GPA (attributed to the lack of work ethic, general immaturity (I skipped a grade and as such I'm a full year ahead of myself) [no excuse], and some other miscellaneous familial issues) and all things considered did very well for my freshman year, I figure it's either go big (or bold) or go home.

jw316

Silver

Post by jw316 » Tue May 05, 2009 7:56 pm

geoanthem wrote:
jco wrote:
jw316 wrote:

Thats exactly what I meant. Thanks for putting it so succinctly.
Then I apologize as I took your post to be a flame. Thanks for the advice.

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Tue May 05, 2009 7:57 pm

jco wrote:
jw316 wrote:

I agree with jco. Keep your grades up, enjoy your college years, and be humble. Saying your resume is better than anybody else's you know isn't saying much since you're a freshman and just haven't had as much time as fellow applicants. Don't take that as an attack. I've worked for over 10 years...was on my way to the Middle East when 9/11 happened and after the airports reopened I went over and was stationed there for 15 months...all while doing an undergrad and graduate degree. And there are MANY people on TLS whose resumes will blow mine out of the water...jus sayin...

I think it's pretty cool you're really focused already...but don't forget to enjoy this time. You might look back and think these should've been the best years of your life...

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Tue May 05, 2009 7:58 pm

Yes I would be the one being a flame in this situation. Not the one with 6 posts

jacktripper

New

Post by jacktripper » Tue May 05, 2009 8:01 pm

jw316 wrote:
SoxyPirate wrote:
jw316 wrote:
Yes, I can agree that it's a bold assumption but given the fact that I almost wasn't even admitted into the university I'm attending due to a fairly low high school GPA (attributed to the lack of work ethic, general immaturity (I skipped a grade and as such I'm a full year ahead of myself) [no excuse], and some other miscellaneous familial issues) and all things considered did very well for my freshman year, I figure it's either go big (or bold) or go home.
I can relate to OP because I projected my GPA at the end of my sophomore year when I realized I was going to need a high GPA in the future for law school applications. I say good on you. It's good to set a target/goal so you have something to work towards. Just be sure you take the easiest classes you can. Find out which professors are the easiest. I used ratemyprofessors.com back in the day, but I don't know if the kids use that site anymore. Good luck.

jw316

Silver

Post by jw316 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:02 pm

geoanthem wrote:Yes I would be the one being a flame in this situation. Not the one with 6 posts
How does my post count have anything to do with that?

"Flame: an angry, hostile, or abusive electronic message"

lulumae

New

Post by lulumae » Tue May 05, 2009 8:04 pm

168+ and you would stand a really good chance. In three years.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Tue May 05, 2009 8:07 pm

jw316 wrote:
geoanthem wrote:Yes I would be the one being a flame in this situation. Not the one with 6 posts

A lot of people would take you to be a fake poster with the low post count and such. I wasn't sure whether it was a fake or you were serious in which case you need to stop worrying about the lsat, do well in school and have fun.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:07 pm

ust be sure you take the easiest classes you can. Find out which professors are the easiest. I used ratemyprofessors.com back in the day, but I don't know if the kids use that site anymore

This is the best advice anyone on this thread has given you so far. You need to remember that law schools really only care about GPA, LSAT, and ethnicity. You want to get that GPA as high as you can. From here on out you should only take the easiest teachers and easiest classes that you can. Then get a good LSAT score. That's the key to getting into a top law school. Ignore everyone who tells you to pick teachers who "are good teachers and you learn a lot from them, but they are hard graders' in the end this won't do a damn thing for you except lower your GPA and thus lower your chances at HYS. You should be taking classes easy enough that the lowest grade you get every semester is an A-, maybe a few B+ but even that's pushing it. Good Luck!

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Tue May 05, 2009 8:09 pm

I think the primary danger in considering HYS so heavily at this point in your college career is that you're shutting out other potential career paths. Are you sure that you want to commit to 3 more years of schooling after undergrad? Are you sure you want to be a lawyer at all? Are you sure you don't want to do something like engineering/actuarial math/school teacher/etc? Let me tell you, I'm starting at YLS this fall, and I still ask myself all of those questions every few days. You're going to change a lot during undergrad--don't shut that out because of some dumb pipe dream to go to Harvard or Yale Law. The whole ambition thing leads nowhere if you let it control your predilections and lifestyle--if it's what you want, it'll develop organically.

I guess I could condense that into the suggestion that you not peg yourself as a future lawyer too quickly.

jw316

Silver

Post by jw316 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:11 pm

geoanthem wrote:
jw316 wrote:

A lot of people would take you to be a fake poster with the low post count and such. I wasn't sure whether it was a fake or you were serious in which case you need to stop worrying about the lsat, do well in school and have fun.
I can assure you I'm serious. I've been trolling on the site (not even under my username) since September when I found out about it and LSD (the forum, not the hallucinogen lol). The only reason my post count is so low is because as I am only a freshman, and I'm nowhere near the start of my cycle or even LSAT prep I just don't have that much to offer in terms of replies to posts or legal conversations...I've definitely taken in a lot though. Thanks for the advice.

wardboro

Bronze

Post by wardboro » Tue May 05, 2009 8:12 pm

The college freshman doesn't do well on the TLS board. The last thing you want to do is develop an addiction with all these years to go. Honestly, the prestige freak-out is good for you to the extent it motivates you to try to get into the best school you can. It also helps others to have realistic expectations.

That said, 3 years of this prestige freak-out would not be good for you. It would either make you devastated when you're rejected from your dream school, or it give you such a sense of entitlement you might lose most of your friends.

Know what, forget that. If this is what makes you happy, then go ahead.
Last edited by wardboro on Tue May 05, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:12 pm

Please note: flame is not "Flame: an angry, hostile, or abusive electronic message"

as it is used on this forum, flame is a fake poster, someone who creates an account just to be annoying, get on people's nerves, or post stupid shit.

so, while u may not be a "flame," geo certainly isn't a flame, as he has been around as a respected poster for quite some time, whereas u have been here all of 6 posts.

just wanted to clear that up.

jw316

Silver

Post by jw316 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:18 pm

heyguys wrote:I think the primary danger in considering HYS so heavily at this point in your college career is that you're shutting out other potential career paths. Are you sure that you want to commit to 3 more years of schooling after undergrad? Are you sure you want to be a lawyer at all? Are you sure you don't want to do something like engineering/actuarial math/school teacher/etc? Let me tell you, I'm starting at YLS this fall, and I still ask myself all of those questions every few days. You're going to change a lot during undergrad--don't shut that out because of some dumb pipe dream to go to Harvard or Yale Law. The whole ambition thing leads nowhere if you let it control your predilections and lifestyle--if it's what you want, it'll develop organically.

I guess I could condense that into the suggestion that you not peg yourself as a future lawyer too quickly.
Unless something drastic happens, I'm positive. I've wanted to be a lawyer since I was 7 years old. Quite frankly, it's probably the only thing that's remained constant since then other than my legal name. Regardless of the major I graduate with (which I understand is definitely subject to change this early on), I know I want HYS for law school upon graduation.

jacktripper

New

Post by jacktripper » Tue May 05, 2009 8:20 pm

heyguys wrote:I think the primary danger in considering HYS so heavily at this point in your college career is that you're shutting out other potential career paths. Are you sure that you want to commit to 3 more years of schooling after undergrad? Are you sure you want to be a lawyer at all? Are you sure you don't want to do something like engineering/actuarial math/school teacher/etc? Let me tell you, I'm starting at YLS this fall, and I still ask myself all of those questions every few days. You're going to change a lot during undergrad--don't shut that out because of some dumb pipe dream to go to Harvard or Yale Law. The whole ambition thing leads nowhere if you let it control your predilections and lifestyle--if it's what you want, it'll develop organically.

-1. If it becomes obvious down the line that you don't want to go down the law school path, by all means don't do it, but don't start doubting yourself because some people think you are "too ambitious." I remember talking to my academic counselor sophomore year about going to grad or law school. She told me to reconsider because a lot of people regret it down the line. That's B.S. underachievers say to feel better about themselves. You are fully capable of doing this. Don't settle for any less than what you most desire. If ambition is what makes you happy, then set the bar as high as you can and reach it every time. Law school may not be what you want to do, but make sure whatever it is you decide to do... you do your best.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”