Egyptian as URM? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mpasi

Bronze

Re: Egyptian as URM?

Post by mpasi » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:04 pm

Rashida Jones is half white.

psychlaw

New

Post by psychlaw » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:34 pm

Check "other" you said yourself you dont identify as black, African american ect. To me it seems like you just want an AA boost. Which doesnt make since, cus if you put other and explain Egyptian then you would probably get even more of a boost than AA. Schools want diversity.

"A person taking advantage of a URM boost is like a woman having babies just to get more money from welfare."
-kid sitting next to me in class

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:38 pm

psychlaw wrote:cus if you put other and explain Egyptian then you would probably get even more of a boost than AA.
Um, no.

psychlaw

New

Post by psychlaw » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:42 pm

Why not? I bet there are less Egyptians applying to law school than AA.

MartianManhunter

Bronze

Post by MartianManhunter » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:01 pm

mpasi wrote:Rashida Jones is hot.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:03 pm

psychlaw wrote:Why not? I bet there are less Egyptians applying to law school than AA.
While probably true, that has nothing to do with it.

SehMeSerrious

Gold

Post by SehMeSerrious » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:57 am

Last edited by SehMeSerrious on Thu May 19, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YSS

New

Post by YSS » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:01 pm

SehMeSerrious wrote:
YSS wrote:African-Americans = BLACK

there are BLACK Egyptians and WHITE Egyptians

do you look more like a Nubian or Saudi?

If you look like a Nubian then you are definitely BLACK and can check African-American. If not then your just trying to get a boost through fraud.
Does Rashida Jones look Nubian?
no but her father does

if one of your parents is black then you are black even if you look more like your non-black parent

I've been to egypt before and there are definitely alot of black egyptians who would be correct in classifying themselves as african-american HOWEVER the majority of egyptians are arab and they definitely aren't african-american (at least in the context of America).

SehMeSerrious

Gold

Post by SehMeSerrious » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:55 am

Last edited by SehMeSerrious on Thu May 19, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:20 am

1. select other write diversity statement.
Mild boost.

2. select black/african american or african american and write diversity statement.
a. AA boost
b. They think you are trying to take advantage of the boost.
c. They think you are an idiot because you don't understand the connotation behind it.

I'm leaning towards b or c.

SehMeSerrious

Gold

Post by SehMeSerrious » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:59 am

Last edited by SehMeSerrious on Thu May 19, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DavidYurman85

Bronze

Post by DavidYurman85 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:04 pm

this thread has five pages?

just select how you identify on a daily basis. if it's african-american select that, white select that, multi-racial select the races. whatever you select, just make sure it's consistent. and either way...write a diversity statement.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:02 pm

Use the Boost!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:52 pm

DavidYurman85 wrote:this thread has five pages?

just select how you identify on a daily basis. if it's african-american select that, white select that, multi-racial select the races. whatever you select, just make sure it's consistent. and either way...write a diversity statement.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:19 pm

http://www.law.duke.edu/admis/downloads ... n_2011.pdf

Read the definitions of the racial groups.

EDIT: ohh this is the same poster as that other thread.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:23 pm

Doritos wrote:Image

Use the Boost!
That was like 3 pages ago.

Emeth!

New

Post by Emeth! » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:34 pm

BiglawAmbitions wrote:Egyptians identify themselves as Arab. I've been to both Cairo and Alexandria, and if you refer to them as "African" they will be come very offended.
I think you might have it backwards a LOT of Egyptians i know (myself included) will be extremely offended if you call them Arabs. I am Coptic I trace my history back to early Egyptians not the Arabs who came to Egypt later. For the most part only Muslim Egyptians (which granted are the extreme majority in Egypt) identify as Arabs. so yeah most Egyptians consider themselves Arabs but, definitely not all.

....sorry for the rant lol :wink:

Emeth!

New

Post by Emeth! » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:39 pm

Hey soo.. I think the best solution might just be to ask the schools what they think...Thats what I did. I am 1/2 Egpytian and so i emailed all the schools i'm applying to and ask if i am African American? Many (including Harvard) said "yep!" others like George Mason said, "nope your white". some suggested that I could write an addemdum explaining myself further if i want.

Problem solved.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:58 pm

rad law wrote:

Use the Boost!

Not on this thread buddy

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:59 pm

Doritos wrote:
rad law wrote:

Use the Boost!

Not on this thread buddy
My bad. So many shitty URM threads.

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:25 pm

Emeth! wrote:Hey soo.. I think the best solution might just be to ask the schools what they think...Thats what I did. I am 1/2 Egpytian and so i emailed all the schools i'm applying to and ask if i am African American? Many (including Harvard) said "yep!" others like George Mason said, "nope your white". some suggested that I could write an addemdum explaining myself further if i want.

Problem solved.
Hmm...I am also Egyptian, and if I did this I would be wary of the advice. I have called the admissions offices of a few schools with other questions, and it seems like the person you're speaking with isn't actually a part of the process of admissions. Not only that, they usually give you the answer they feel you want to hear. I'm marking "white" on my applications because every application I have filled out specifically places "North Africa" next to "white". To be Egyptian is to be North African, and frankly, marking otherwise seems dishonest to me.

If some student working as a receptionist for admissions tells me I can mark African American on my application I'm not going to take his word for it. Writing a diversity statement is the best way to point out your ethnic background, and it probably won't do much to help your chances at admission. Schools care about what's reportable.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”