Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM?? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
bk1

Diamond

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Post by bk1 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:01 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Plenty of applications don't even ask you to distinguish between different types of Hispanic, though. Looking at my submitted apps from last year I see that Michigan and NYU don't give you the option to specify what type of Hispanic you are. Some schools may differentiate between different categories of Hispanics (and I think there's good evidence that some schools give comparable boosts to Cubans when they do specify), but there are definitely schools where I see no evidence they distinguish between different Hispanic groups.
LSAC ethnicity questionnaire, which does differentiate, is sent to all schools if you allow it (and I'd assume for most people that is the default choice).

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:18 am

bk187 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Plenty of applications don't even ask you to distinguish between different types of Hispanic, though. Looking at my submitted apps from last year I see that Michigan and NYU don't give you the option to specify what type of Hispanic you are. Some schools may differentiate between different categories of Hispanics (and I think there's good evidence that some schools give comparable boosts to Cubans when they do specify), but there are definitely schools where I see no evidence they distinguish between different Hispanic groups.
LSAC ethnicity questionnaire, which does differentiate, is sent to all schools if you allow it (and I'd assume for most people that is the default choice).
That's not sent with the application, though; it's available as part of CRS. I'm pretty sure that law schools don't use that for evaluation (just like they don't use that "3.5-3.74, 3.75 and up" GPA range self-reporting) since it's not official. If law schools used that survey for purposes beyond advertising to minorities, there'd be no reason to ask the non-DOE ethnicity question on the application itself.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:47 am

Bildungsroman wrote:That's not sent with the application, though; it's available as part of CRS. I'm pretty sure that law schools don't use that for evaluation (just like they don't use that "3.5-3.74, 3.75 and up" GPA range self-reporting) since it's not official. If law schools used that survey for purposes beyond advertising to minorities, there'd be no reason to ask the non-DOE ethnicity question on the application itself.
I don't think the fact that is part of the application process doesn't mean it isn't stupidly redundant on the school's part. In either case both of us are guessing.

It also says it is sent as part of your "Law School Report." I don't recall what that is.

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:26 am

bk187 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:That's not sent with the application, though; it's available as part of CRS. I'm pretty sure that law schools don't use that for evaluation (just like they don't use that "3.5-3.74, 3.75 and up" GPA range self-reporting) since it's not official. If law schools used that survey for purposes beyond advertising to minorities, there'd be no reason to ask the non-DOE ethnicity question on the application itself.
I don't think the fact that is part of the application process doesn't mean it isn't stupidly redundant on the school's part. In either case both of us are guessing.

It also says it is sent as part of your "Law School Report." I don't recall what that is.
We were talking about this in the other thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=250

I'm going to call LSAC again tomorrow and see if I can clarify with them if they see the "CRS" info. Because right now I have decline to respond there, while I've just been putting "Hispanic" on all my apps. NYU, NU, Harvard all only have boxes for Hispanic and PR, no Mexican box.

lukeboydwick

New

Post by lukeboydwick » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:54 pm

I'm both a US and Brazilian citizen. Thoughts?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:10 pm

lukeboydwick wrote:I'm both a US and Brazilian citizen. Thoughts?
Citizenship doesn't define race. Is your family of African origin, Hispanic origin, or are you European transplants?

lukeboydwick

New

Post by lukeboydwick » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:54 am

bdubs wrote:
lukeboydwick wrote:I'm both a US and Brazilian citizen. Thoughts?
Citizenship doesn't define race. Is your family of African origin, Hispanic origin, or are you European transplants?
Tough to trace my family's lineage. Grandparents were born and raised in Brazil if that does anything for me.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:08 am

lukeboydwick wrote:Tough to trace my family's lineage. Grandparents were born and raised in Brazil if that does anything for me.
What did your grandparents consider themselves? What do your parents consider themselves? What have you considered yourself your entire life up until you found out about URMs?

P.S. If the answer is either Brazilian or Brazilian-American then just mark Brazilian (or whatever group on the race/ethnicity questionnaire includes Brazilians).

goodxkarma

New

Post by goodxkarma » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:56 am

Had just created a new thread, but then saw this one and decided to move my posting.

Here's the deal with me: I understand that Jews are, for the most part, unable to claim URM status on law school applications (after all, we comprise a pretty significant portion of the law school student body - no way around acknowledging that!). My case, however, is slightly different. I'm Sephardic, and considering that Sephardic Jews comprise only about 15% of the world's Jewish population (of which about 1% is located in the United States), a number of people have told me that I can thus call myself an Underrepresented Minority. For those who are unaware, Sephardic Jews hail from the Iberian Peninsula, where they lived happily until expulsion by the Spanish Inquisition. Allow me to accordingly verify the immortal words of Monty Python: Indeed, NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition.

In any case, I associate very strongly with Sephardic culture, and my looks most definitely reflect that part of my heritage. I think I wrote "White" in the corresponding section of my LSAT signup sheet (I'm registered to take the test in a couple weeks), but that's really only because Sephardic people never get their own Ethnicity box :P On paper, I've always been White... But by blood and emotion, I'm absolutely Sephardic.

I'm looking to apply primarily to schools in CA (USC, UCLA, Berkeley, Stanford, etc.), and could certainly write a [convincing] diversity statement about my heritage. First and foremost, however, I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

What do you think? Should I apply as an Underrepresented Minority?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:59 am

What do you mean, "should I apply as an Underrepresented Minority?" There's no "underrepresented minority" box on the application; you'll mark white because you're white. You can write a diversity statement about it, though I doubt it will affect your cycle at all.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:10 pm

You're not a URM. Only African Americans, Mexican Americans, Native Americans, and Puerto Ricans are URMs.

POSERmyLOVE

New

Post by POSERmyLOVE » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:53 pm

So do Salvadoran Americans count as urm?

kapachino

Silver

Post by kapachino » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:24 pm

POSERmyLOVE wrote:So do Salvadoran Americans count as urm?
InGoodFaith wrote:You're not a URM. Only African Americans, Mexican Americans, Native Americans, and Puerto Ricans are URMs.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:25 pm

POSERmyLOVE wrote:So do Salvadoran Americans count as urm?
Unfortunately, they do not.

kapachino

Silver

Post by kapachino » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:27 pm

goodxkarma wrote:Had just created a new thread, but then saw this one and decided to move my posting.

Here's the deal with me: I understand that Jews are, for the most part, unable to claim URM status on law school applications (after all, we comprise a pretty significant portion of the law school student body - no way around acknowledging that!). My case, however, is slightly different. I'm Sephardic, and considering that Sephardic Jews comprise only about 15% of the world's Jewish population (of which about 1% is located in the United States), a number of people have told me that I can thus call myself an Underrepresented Minority. For those who are unaware, Sephardic Jews hail from the Iberian Peninsula, where they lived happily until expulsion by the Spanish Inquisition. Allow me to accordingly verify the immortal words of Monty Python: Indeed, NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition.

In any case, I associate very strongly with Sephardic culture, and my looks most definitely reflect that part of my heritage. I think I wrote "White" in the corresponding section of my LSAT signup sheet (I'm registered to take the test in a couple weeks), but that's really only because Sephardic people never get their own Ethnicity box :P On paper, I've always been White... But by blood and emotion, I'm absolutely Sephardic.

I'm looking to apply primarily to schools in CA (USC, UCLA, Berkeley, Stanford, etc.), and could certainly write a [convincing] diversity statement about my heritage. First and foremost, however, I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

You're confusing race with ethnicity. Bils is right. You need to check white as your race, and then write about your culture in a diversity statement

stompa

New

Post by stompa » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:22 pm

Do Sri Lankans get a significant diversity boost?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:27 pm

stompa wrote:Do Sri Lankans get a significant diversity boost?
As a group, they get no URM boost.
Last edited by 071816 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:31 pm

stompa wrote:Do Sri Lankans get a significant diversity boost?
They don't get a URM boost. You can write a DS and might still see a noticeable diversity boost if you'd actually add to class diversity.

This is probably the best way to think of it: URM boosts are stronger and closer to being automatic. Non-URMs can still get a diversity boost but it's more variable, depending on your background and how each school regards it. Someone with a truly compelling story and background could see a substantial boost, but for most non-URMs it won't be too substantial.

To the max

New

Post by To the max » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:01 pm

I am 50% first generation American born Chinese and 50% white . Jewish on top of that :). Am planning to mark white on application although I carry a Chinese last name. Any thought as to whether a personal statement discussing trying to fit into both cultures would help or hurt my app? Or should I just apply as white and skip the whole racial/religious thing as there are already many Asians and Jews in law school?
Last edited by To the max on Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inthebeginning

New

Post by inthebeginning » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:08 pm

goodxkarma wrote:Had just created a new thread, but then saw this one and decided to move my posting.

HAHAHA if you were an ethiopian jew, maybe, but there's no way you'de be able to pull this off with anyone who knows what sephardic means

shbe0701

New

Post by shbe0701 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:53 pm

Last edited by shbe0701 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

marsdentromba

New

Post by marsdentromba » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:03 am

Would I be considered a non-traditional applicant by any of these measures and/or what kind of impact will these have on my application?

- I'm 1/4 Hispanic (1/8 Spain, 1/8 Cuban, paternal grandmother's mother, paternal grandfather's father). I marked Hispanic in undergrad, although I definitely look like a run-of-the-mill caucasion, and have a European last name. I don't plan to write a DS on it, but I do plan to mark the box.
- I've enrolled in and withdrawn from three graduate school programs (two math-related, one education-related).
- LSDAS 3.4, major 3.7 (social sciences). Most of my coursework in my last two years of UG were hard science and mathematics courses which I didn't have pre-reqs for but took on special permission. These subsequently drove my GPA down a bit. Will adcomms give any consideration to this fact?
- I finished 2 classes short of a BS in math because I didn't want to finish the math degree.
- By the time I start law school, I'll have spent most of the last three years in Korea. I am partially fluent in Korean now, and am hoping to pass the advanced test of proficiency in korean before I leave.

Thanks for any feedback.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:53 am

marsdentromba wrote:Would I be considered a non-traditional applicant by any of these measures and/or what kind of impact will these have on my application?

- I'm 1/4 Hispanic (1/8 Spain, 1/8 Cuban, paternal grandmother's mother, paternal grandfather's father). I marked Hispanic in undergrad, although I definitely look like a run-of-the-mill caucasion, and have a European last name. I don't plan to write a DS on it, but I do plan to mark the box.
- I've enrolled in and withdrawn from three graduate school programs (two math-related, one education-related).
- LSDAS 3.4, major 3.7 (social sciences). Most of my coursework in my last two years of UG were hard science and mathematics courses which I didn't have pre-reqs for but took on special permission. These subsequently drove my GPA down a bit. Will adcomms give any consideration to this fact?
- I finished 2 classes short of a BS in math because I didn't want to finish the math degree.
- By the time I start law school, I'll have spent most of the last three years in Korea. I am partially fluent in Korean now, and am hoping to pass the advanced test of proficiency in korean before I leave.

Thanks for any feedback.
Run of the mill "Other Hispanic" box checker with a 3.4/176. This is one of the reasons that "Other Hispanic" doesn't get the same boost that MA or PR get. That and the fact that LSAC/NALP make a distinction between the three.

Dropping out of grad school 3 times will not help you, but it's not clear how much it will hurt you.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:09 pm

marsdentromba wrote:Would I be considered a non-traditional applicant by any of these measures and/or what kind of impact will these have on my application?

Thanks for any feedback.
Lots of hispanics look like run of the mill caucasians and have European last names bro (by definition, all last names from Spain are Eurpoean last names). Check you facts!

I would say check the other hispanic box or whatever but don't expect any boost from it (not because you don't look like America's stereotype of what a "hispanic" should look like, but because you wouldn't be considered a URM and don't seem to have a strong connection with your Latin American/Spanish roots).

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:29 am

I don't think you quite understand what underrepresented means. Underrepresented does not mean there are few of you. It means that your representation in the general population is significantly less than your representation in both law schools and lawyers. For instance, if you make up .001% of the general population, you should make up somewhere around .001% of the lawyer/law school population.

At this time, only African Americans, Chicanos or Mexicans, Native Americans, and Puerto Ricans are considered URMs. Everyone else should write a diversity statement.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”