Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM?? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
bk1

Diamond

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Post by bk1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:03 pm

DWinter18 wrote:I didn't go through the entire thread so sorry if this has been answered.

My mother is full Mexican and my father is a Caucasian Jew from Brooklyn, NY. He met my mother in Mexico, they got married and she moved here with him and converted. Would I be considered Mexican if I am only half? It's legit 50/50, she is fully Mexican. I don't want to lie, because I'm half. Do I qualify?
How would they even know you're half? In any case it didn't matter, half URM is still URM.

DWinter18

New

Post by DWinter18 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:15 pm

bk187 wrote:
DWinter18 wrote:I didn't go through the entire thread so sorry if this has been answered.

My mother is full Mexican and my father is a Caucasian Jew from Brooklyn, NY. He met my mother in Mexico, they got married and she moved here with him and converted. Would I be considered Mexican if I am only half? It's legit 50/50, she is fully Mexican. I don't want to lie, because I'm half. Do I qualify?
How would they even know you're half? In any case it didn't matter, half URM is still URM.
Haha, not sure how they would know. They are always watching... So then I can look forward to a nice boost? Is it a boost in general or do they pad your LSAT score, or how exactly does it work?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:23 pm

DWinter18 wrote:
bk187 wrote:

Haha, not sure how they would know. They are always watching... So then I can look forward to a nice boost? Is it a boost in general or do they pad your LSAT score, or how exactly does it work?
It's a general boost though it will help you more if you have a low LSAT than if you have a low GPA. Look at the URMs on http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com to see how it affects people.

troll

New

Post by troll » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:56 pm

All hail betasteve!!!
Last edited by troll on Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:01 am

troll wrote:All hail Betasteve
This I can get behind.

kapachino

Silver

Post by kapachino » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:19 pm

So....does being black and NA make you a super URM, or do they have the same impact as just one?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:21 pm

kapachino wrote:So....does being black and NA make you a super URM, or do they have the same impact as just one?
I think it's the same as just being AA (because AA is the largest boost).

kapachino

Silver

Post by kapachino » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:26 pm

bk187 wrote:
kapachino wrote:So....does being black and NA make you a super URM, or do they have the same impact as just one?
I think it's the same as just being AA (because AA is the largest boost).

*Takes off cape* :(

sfxx

New

Post by sfxx » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:43 pm

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times over, but if you're half black half white and self identify as a black male (always have on standardized test, college admissions, job apps, etc.) can you just check black?

If someone has addressed this already please link me to the page, I tried to use the search function to no avail.

Also if I were to check black and white would this affect my urm status?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:46 pm

sfxx wrote:I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times over, but if you're half black half white and self identify as a black male (always have on standardized test, college admissions, job apps, etc.) can you just check black?

If someone has addressed this already please link me to the page, I tried to use the search function to no avail.

Yes, no. Self identification is exactly that, but common wisdom is that black/white generally get the same treatment as black.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:46 pm

sfxx wrote:I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times over, but if you're half black half white and self identify as a black male (always have on standardized test, college admissions, job apps, etc.) can you just check black?

1. Check what you've always checked.
2. Personally I don't understand people who don't check everything that they are (e.g. Obama), but that isn't really relevant since it's just my opinion.
3. Black/White and Black are the same thing for URM status. Heck Black and Black/White/Asian/NA/Hispanic are the same thing for URM status.

IamJosh

New

Post by IamJosh » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:26 pm

I come from a really diverse background... Where would I fall?

My mom is half Swedish, half white, my dad is half Puerto Rican and half German. That makes me 1/4 Swedish, 1/4 German, 1/4 Puerto Rican, and I think the rest is just white. Does any of that matter, or am I just a white person? To add to it, my dad was adopted by Finnish and Italian parents giving my no real Hispanic culture in my upbringing. Thanks.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:28 pm

IamJosh wrote:I come from a really diverse background... Where would I fall?

My mom is half Swedish, half white, my dad is half Puerto Rican and half German. That makes me 1/4 Swedish, 1/4 German, 1/4 Puerto Rican, and I think the rest is just white. Does any of that matter, or am I just a white person? To add to it, my dad was adopted by Finnish and Italian parents giving my no real Hispanic culture in my upbringing. Thanks.
You are a URM because you are at least part Puerto Rican. Law schools won't ask you to state percentages or anything like that (and even if they did I don't think it would matter), they'll just ask you to check every race that applies. Since you will presumably be checking Puerto Rican (among other things) you will get a URM boost.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:13 am

When people say URM boosts, is it an all or nothing system?

Or are there varying degrees of said boost depending upon background?

I am a Pakistani immigrant who moved to America when I was 7 years old...

I know that isn't URM but would the application fare exactly as an American white male or would there be any difference at all?

Or is there no way to accurately dictate that difference considering the nature of data available? Only the extremes; which have already been stated.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:16 am

When did German and Swedish stop being white. Did I miss a memo?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:49 am

sinfiery wrote:When people say URM boosts, is it an all or nothing system?

I know that isn't URM but would the application fare exactly as an American white male or would there be any difference at all?

Or is there no way to accurately dictate that difference considering the nature of data available? Only the extremes; which have already been stated.
AAs, MAs, PRs, ans NAs get a boost to their application just by marking their race on applications. You will get no automatic boost. Most applications will, however, give you the option to submit a written statement on how you feel you contribute to the diversity of the student body and the law school (this is commonly referred to as a "diversity statement"). Whether your race/ethnicity and immigration story benefit your application at all depends on this diversity statement. In the absence of a DS then your application's chances will not be improved by your race/ethnicity at all. If you write a diversity statement, your application is still unlikely to see any change in consideration. If you write a compelling diversity statement that shows you will really contribute to diversity, have experiences that distinguish you from a lot of their applicants, and are actually a special snowflake whose soft factors indicate you are more capable than your numbers otherwise indicate, this may help shift you into the "consider" or "admit" pile. A statement that basically says "I am a minority" isn't going to do you any favors as a non-URM; you need to really be able to explain the aforementioned factors of your diversity.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:05 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
sinfiery wrote:When people say URM boosts, is it an all or nothing system?

AAs, MAs, PRs, ans NAs get a boost to their application just by marking their race on applications. You will get no automatic boost. Most applications will, however, give you the option to submit a written statement on how you feel you contribute to the diversity of the student body and the law school (this is commonly referred to as a "diversity statement"). Whether your race/ethnicity and immigration story benefit your application at all depends on this diversity statement. In the absence of a DS then your application's chances will not be improved by your race/ethnicity at all. If you write a diversity statement, your application is still unlikely to see any change in consideration. If you write a compelling diversity statement that shows you will really contribute to diversity, have experiences that distinguish you from a lot of their applicants, and are actually a special snowflake whose soft factors indicate you are more capable than your numbers otherwise indicate, this may help shift you into the "consider" or "admit" pile. A statement that basically says "I am a minority" isn't going to do you any favors as a non-URM; you need to really be able to explain the aforementioned factors of your diversity.
Makes sense.

Thank you.

IamJosh

New

Post by IamJosh » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:57 am

Drake014 wrote:

When did German and Swedish stop being white. Did I miss a memo?
I guess that doesn't make sense, does it? I think skipped over my mom in my head, because my grandfather was born in Sweden. That's the only reason I can think of that I distinguished at least that part. Lol /fail

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:41 pm

I am Chinese (slash Vietnamese, depending how you look at it), and German & Russian...

according to... http://www.lsac.org/jd/pdfs/new-aggrega ... gories.pdf

it appears that i am both an "Asian" minority as well as a "two or more races" minority.

This would definitely make me a URM right? Don't think I'm stupid... Please... Just not used to the idea of Asian's being a URM since for undergrad, it was the COMPLETE opposite.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:43 pm

d0rklord wrote:I am Chinese (slash Vietnamese, depending how you look at it), and German & Russian...

it appears that i am both an "Asian" minority as well as a "two or more races" minority.

This would definitely make me a URM right? Don't think I'm stupid... Please... Just not used to the idea of Asian's being a URM since for undergrad, it was the COMPLETE opposite.
Nope, Asians aren't URMs.

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:45 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
d0rklord wrote:I am Chinese (slash Vietnamese, depending how you look at it), and German & Russian...

I am extremely confused by the website then? (http://www.lsac.org/jd/pdfs/new-aggrega ... gories.pdf)

**edit: by the way, i am not arguing with you nor undermining your answer, thank you for answering. I am just a bit confused.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:48 pm

d0rklord wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

I am extremely confused by the website then? (http://www.lsac.org/jd/pdfs/new-aggrega ... gories.pdf)
What's confusing about it? Minority is not the same as under-represented minority.

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:52 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
d0rklord wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

What's confusing about it? Minority is not the same as under-represented minority.
Ahhh.. Okay. So this list is just minority enrollment in schools, but not a list consisting of URM (that will receive boost in applications).

Sigh... My Asian heritage has failed me once again!

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:15 pm

hmm... interesting chart. I wonder what percentage of the "all hispanic" enrollment is the URM MA/PR group...

vk732

New

Post by vk732 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:33 pm

After reading all the posts on this thread, I've come to question my own URM status...
My mother was born and raised in Uganda. My father was born and raised in India. I was born in the U.S, so my mother is African and my father is South Asian..... Am I considered a URM? and what is an AA?

I'm new to TLS, so I'm still trying to get used to all these acronyms.
Thanks

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”