Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM?? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Nom Sawyer

Silver

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Post by Nom Sawyer » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:02 am

am060459 wrote:"Yes, there are a lot of lawyers. But, there are not a lot of Latino lawyers, African American lawyers, Asian lawyers, Native American lawyers. Minorities are still greatly underrepresented in the legal profession."

http://lsac.org/SpecialInterests/minori ... -to-ls.asp

To promote diversity, law schools actively seek qualified African American, Latino, Asian, and Native American students, as well as other students of color.

http://lsac.org/SpecialInterests/minori ... on-faq.asp

Who are qualified Asians?
Law schools actively seek Asians with 3.8+ GPAs and 170+ LSATs to add much needed diversity and increase representation in the legal field. In fact, law schools will boost their admission chances by judging their LSAT score "as-is", instead of subtracting 3~4 points first. Also most schools will take an Asian's highest LSAT score if he retakes.

yung

Bronze

Post by yung » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:08 pm

I'm a NATIVE TAIWANESE (not chinese, before chinese came to Taiwan, just like native americans were) does this count me as urm? or do I circle Asian or do I circle pacific islander

yung

Bronze

Post by yung » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:20 pm

Sorry just want to clarify some more: I am NOT any kind of Chinese at all (not any kind of Han) We are extreme minority even in the island of Taiwan

dudester

Bronze

Post by dudester » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:25 pm

yung wrote:Sorry just want to clarify some more: I am NOT any kind of Chinese at all (not any kind of Han) We are extreme minority even in the island of Taiwan
Taiwanese (native or not) = Asian = not URM.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:34 pm

dudester wrote:
yung wrote:Sorry just want to clarify some more: I am NOT any kind of Chinese at all (not any kind of Han) We are extreme minority even in the island of Taiwan
I would say Pacific Islander, I'm not sure they get any kind of special consideration though. Do you think native Taiwanese are actually functionally different from immigrant Taiwanese in this day and age? I don't really know that much about it, everyone just says they're Taiwanese even when they're not native.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:39 pm

You could put Pacific Islander probably, but I don't know whether that's URM or not. It's not one of the obviously recognized URM groups (which are Mexican-American, Puerto Rican, African-American, and Native American) so I suspect no, but there's no real clear data on it either way.

dudester

Bronze

Post by dudester » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:54 pm

vanwinkle wrote:You could put Pacific Islander probably, but I don't know whether that's URM or not. It's not one of the obviously recognized URM groups (which are Mexican-American, Puerto Rican, African-American, and Native American) so I suspect no, but there's no real clear data on it either way.

I believe Taiwanese people are Asians not Pacific Islanders. I don't care enough to discuss it. Do your thing OP.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:55 pm

dudester wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:You could put Pacific Islander probably, but I don't know whether that's URM or not. It's not one of the obviously recognized URM groups (which are Mexican-American, Puerto Rican, African-American, and Native American) so I suspect no, but there's no real clear data on it either way.

I believe Taiwanese people are Asians not Pacific Islanders. I don't care enough to discuss it. Do your thing OP.
Native Taiwanese are more ethnically tied to Pacific Islanders, not East Asians.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:56 pm

dudester wrote:

Honestly I don't care enough to research it myself, that's up to OP IMO. I was just saying that even if he did that I don't know whether that'd be a URM or not, and probably not, so either way he loses.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:00 am

r6_philly wrote:lol if you are URM, your son can't be white...

Everyone who is legally and biologically related to me in this country is URM, does that make me URM?
I don't buy the one drop rule. Its quite likely that some or all of my children will appear visibly white. Kinda bugs me sometimes.

latinolaw

New

Post by latinolaw » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:32 pm

My father is Mexican, my mother American. I grew up in several Latin American countries. Am I URM?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:44 pm

Drake014 wrote:

Everyone who is legally and biologically related to me in this country is URM, does that make me URM?
I don't buy the one drop rule. Its quite likely that some or all of my children will appear visibly white. Kinda bugs me sometimes.

You forgot Homer Plessy is 1/8 black?

My son is half black and will definitely identify with blacks.

But my point was if my social identification is black but my skin color is not what does that make me?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:08 pm

latinolaw wrote:My father is Mexican, my mother American. I grew up in several Latin American countries. Am I URM?
If you choose "Hispanic - Mexican" on your applications, then yes, you will be.

schuywalker

New

Post by schuywalker » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:29 am

The US Census categorizes pacific islanders as :
Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands. It includes people who indicate their race as "Native Hawaiian," "Guamanian or Chamorro," "Samoan," and "Other Pacific Islander."
you would not be considered a pacific islander

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:16 pm

I've heard of Filipinos claiming to be Pacific Islanders before, but it's almost certainly not intended to include them (or native Taiwanese). It's never worth lying about these sorts of things. Just write a diversity statement about being native Taiwanese if you have some interesting experience to share; native Taiwanese is an unusual group and could get some adcomms a little interested.

Raven1228

New

Post by Raven1228 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:16 pm

Hi,

My mother was born in Peru, and while I've read that South American hispanics are not considered URM, my dad was born in England. Does this unusual mix give me any leeway at all?

I marked my ethnicity as European/Hispanic. I understand neither is URM by itself, but do you think the combination counts for anything?

Thanks so much,

Steven

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:17 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sun May 10, 2015 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:42 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Drake014 wrote:

You forgot Homer Plessy is 1/8 black?

My son is half black and will definitely identify with blacks.

But my point was if my social identification is black but my skin color is not what does that make me?
My fiancee has a similar situation. You're white but write a diversity statement. If you grew up poor, be sure to include that.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:44 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
dudester wrote:
I would say Pacific Islander, I'm not sure they get any kind of special consideration though. Do you think native Taiwanese are actually functionally different from immigrant Taiwanese in this day and age? I don't really know that much about it, everyone just says they're Taiwanese even when they're not native.
Kinda irrelevant. Chances are, native Taiwanese aren't under represented or significantly under represented in advanced degrees in the United States. For some reason, people seem to forget the UR in URM.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:28 am

Drake014 wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:
dudester wrote:
Kinda irrelevant. Chances are, native Taiwanese aren't under represented or significantly under represented in advanced degrees in the United States. For some reason, people seem to forget the UR in URM.
Actually, they probably are. Native Taiwanese are much worse off than Han Taiwanese economically, although not destitute or anything (and usually because they tend to live in rural areas of Taiwan more than anything else). But there are so few in the US that "under-represented" is incredibly hard to measure.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:55 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Irrational.

Raven1228

New

Post by Raven1228 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:12 am

hahahaha

MGH1989

Bronze

Post by MGH1989 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:09 pm

Ive posted this on another part of this forum, but I will ask it here. My mother was born and raised in Mexico City and my father is American. I was born in the U.S.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:11 pm

MGH1989 wrote:Ive posted this on another part of this forum, but I will ask it here. My mother was born and raised in Mexico City and my father is American. I was born in the U.S.
What's the Q?

MGH1989

Bronze

Post by MGH1989 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:15 pm

kn6542 wrote:
MGH1989 wrote:Ive posted this on another part of this forum, but I will ask it here. My mother was born and raised in Mexico City and my father is American. I was born in the U.S.
What's the Q?
Am I a URM or not?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”