Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM?? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jacko

New

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Post by jacko » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:57 pm

I'm part Native-American on both sides of my family but I don't really appear to be a Native American. My heritage hasn't played a tremendous role in my upbringing. Although I'm going to check that I am an ethnic minority, I feel like I'm actually diverse because of other influences in my upbringing. Will my ethnicity play a role in the admissions process?

kruiz88

Bronze

Post by kruiz88 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:03 pm

Last edited by kruiz88 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helicio

Bronze

Post by Helicio » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:42 am

Azmatt

Bronze

Post by Azmatt » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Ignore the fact that I'm 6'4, blonde, and have hazel eyes. Hah. I'm basically 3/4 German, but I'm also 1/8 Mexican and 1/8th Native American. I don't claim affiliation with any tribe because I don't really identify myself as a minority.

I don't really like the idea of sneaking this into an application just to get a boost. But, would I even qualify as URM?

If you have a good idea, please send me a PM. I'd appreciate it.
Last edited by Azmatt on Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:39 pm

Azmatt wrote:Ignore the fact that I'm 6'4, blonde, and have hazel eyes. Hah. I'm basically 3/4 German, but I'm also 1/8 Mexican and 1/8th Native American. I don't claim affiliation with any tribe because I don't identify.

I don't really like the idea of sneaking this into an application just to get a boost. But, would I even qualify as URM?

If you have a good idea, please send me a PM. I'd appreciate it.
You would qualify as a URM if you identified as Mexican or Native American on your applications. So, it depends on whether or not you choose to represent yourself that way. However, with regard to NAs, not having a tribal affiliation would hurt you (many schools explicitly ask about or otherwise want this).

Have you identified as Hispanic or Native American on applications in the past? Would you feel comfortable doing so now? Do you have some experiences related to these parts of your heritage to write a Diversity Statement about?

If the answer to those is "yes" you could be a URM. If it's "no" to all of them then you probably shouldn't start identifying as those things now. L

Azmatt

Bronze

Post by Azmatt » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:44 pm

That's more or less how I looked at it. I never identified myself as URM previously. I dont' imagine I'd use it to be very honest. If I somehow bombed the LSAT, I'd maybe use it to break the T100. But, that's a big IF.

I wouldn't feel right about using that to sneak a few spots higher in the T25 or using it for scholarship $$.

I'm not a piece of shit.

Flett

Bronze

Post by Flett » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:48 am

Azmatt wrote:That's more or less how I looked at it. I never identified myself as URM previously. I dont' imagine I'd use it to be very honest. If I somehow bombed the LSAT, I'd maybe use it to break the T100. But, that's a big IF.

I wouldn't feel right about using that to sneak a few spots higher in the T25 or using it for scholarship $$.

I'm not a piece of shit.
:lol: That made me smile. I like the way you think. Good luck on your LSAT and leave the bottom of the T100 to me. :wink: (Enrolled Native, 3.15, LSAT in Oct.)

Istudyhard

New

Post by Istudyhard » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:19 pm

vietnamese URM?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:20 pm

Istudyhard wrote:vietnamese URM?
Can you fucking read at all?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:49 pm

bk187 wrote:
Dude, that's unnecessary.

Istudyhard

New

Post by Istudyhard » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:44 pm

I aware that asian is OP o_O but i've read about things like "Cambodian and vietnamese are exceptions"

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:53 pm

Istudyhard wrote:I aware that asian is OP o_O but i've read about things like "Cambodian and vietnamese are exceptions"
Nope. No exceptions.

URM is only known to apply to African-American, Hispanic (often specifically just Mexican-Americans and Puerto Ricans), and Native Americans. That's it. It's a designation with specific legal meaning. You might still get some "diversity boost" from talking about your unique background, but that won't be the same as being considered a URM.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:45 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Possibly. I specifically directed him to this thread after he posted the exact same question in a 1+ year old thread that was only tangentially related.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:49 pm

bk187 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Possibly. I specifically directed him to this thread after he posted the exact same question in a 1+ year old thread that was only tangentially related.
Well, regardless of the context, try to keep from being too hostile toward people actually asking for help, please.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:53 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Well, regardless of the context, try to keep from being too hostile toward people actually asking for help, please.
Fair enough. Duly noted.

Lafakad

New

Post by Lafakad » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:23 am

So I am 1/2 Cuban (Mom swam here!), 1/2 White, feel 100% white. Would I be considered a URM? I don't speak Spanish fluently so I would hate to falsely identify myself as something I am not.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:26 am

Lafakad wrote:So I am 1/2 Cuban (Mom swam here!), 1/2 White, feel 100% white. Would I be considered a URM? I don't speak Spanish fluently so I would hate to falsely identify myself as something I am not.

elian gonzalez, is that you?

Lafakad

New

Post by Lafakad » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:34 am

hiromoto45 wrote:
Lafakad wrote:So I am 1/2 Cuban (Mom swam here!), 1/2 White, feel 100% white. Would I be considered a URM? I don't speak Spanish fluently so I would hate to falsely identify myself as something I am not.

elian gonzalez, is that you?
haha that would be an ultimate soft.

Also, my last name is of German decent, so I wonder if that affects anything.

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:51 am

Hey I saw your post and was just wondering why you feel 100% white? Do you look white and just havent been in touch with your cuban side? Does nobody know your mom is cuban so they just treat you like a regular white guy?

I hope these questions arent offensive. I've always wondered about this stuff. I'm black and brown skinned so I never had to worry about passing/not passing.

And to answer your question you posted. As a genetic cuban you can check the box on apps but cubans don't usually get a boost and it doesn't seem like you would have much to write about in a diversity statement so I'm not sure if theres really any help there.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:58 am

Read the first post.

Lafakad

New

Post by Lafakad » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:17 pm

merichard87 wrote:
Hey I saw your post and was just wondering why you feel 100% white? Do you look white and just havent been in touch with your cuban side? Does nobody know your mom is cuban so they just treat you like a regular white guy?

I hope these questions arent offensive. I've always wondered about this stuff. I'm black and brown skinned so I never had to worry about passing/not passing.

And to answer your question you posted. As a genetic cuban you can check the box on apps but cubans don't usually get a boost and it doesn't seem like you would have much to write about in a diversity statement so I'm not sure if theres really any help there.
To be honest, I think it's that I feel "different" from my family. For example, my cousins are either in jail or getting two different girls pregnant at the same time, and thats not who I am. Also I took the "weird" route and went to college. I was usually ashamed of listing myself as Spanish, I used to lie about it and say that I was white, even though I look Hispanic. Yea I know its stupid, but thats honestly why I think I "feel" white.

I did grow up in a Cuban part of town, so I feel like I could write a pretty good DS.

Dripworx

Bronze

Post by Dripworx » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:13 pm

1/2 Colombian (mom) 1/2 Argentinian (dad), I speak spanish fluently. I wish I could say I was a URM but I have a feeling that I cant despite the fact that cubans can... Living in south florida makes me feel like Colombians are the urm's not cubans :P

I read on LSN about an applicant that qualified as a URM and got into GW with a 165/3.0... turns out she was cuban.

Would/Could they extend the arm of URM to a poor little colombian kid like me?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:15 pm

Dripworx wrote:1/2 Colombian (mom) 1/2 Argentinian (dad), I speak spanish fluently. I wish I could say I was a URM but I have a feeling that I cant despite the fact that cubans can... Living in south florida makes me feel like Colombians are the urm's not cubans :P

I read on LSN about an applicant that qualified as a URM and got into GW with a 165/3.0... turns out she was cuban.

The truth is that it will vary by school. Based on what I've seen, I think some schools will treat all Hispanics as URM to at least some extent, while others only give boosts to MX and PR applicants. Just apply broadly and hope for the best.

Dripworx

Bronze

Post by Dripworx » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:20 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Dripworx wrote:1/2 Colombian (mom) 1/2 Argentinian (dad), I speak spanish fluently. I wish I could say I was a URM but I have a feeling that I cant despite the fact that cubans can... Living in south florida makes me feel like Colombians are the urm's not cubans :P

The truth is that it will vary by school. Based on what I've seen, I think some schools will treat all Hispanics as URM to at least some extent, while others only give boosts to MX and PR applicants. Just apply broadly and hope for the best.

would it be wise to ask admissions anonymously through email what would fall under the category of URM at their school?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:13 am

Dripworx wrote:would it be wise to ask admissions anonymously through email what would fall under the category of URM at their school?
They aren't going to give you any answer that is useful. They don't specifically broadcast "Hey we give people URM bumps." Just apply and see what happens. If you are AA/NA/MX/PR it is almost certain. If you are other Hispanic it is possible. Outside of that it is definitely no.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”