Horrible Stats; What schools should I apply to Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mxnal

New

Horrible Stats; What schools should I apply to

Post by mxnal » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:23 pm

3.57 gpa
153 Lsat
MA urm
I plan on submitting all of my apps by next week, I want to apply to 9-12 schools. 3 reaches, and the rest schools I can realistically get into. Attended a top-20 uni if that matters. Any advice or recommendations help. unfortunately I can't retake.

nealric

Re: Horrible Stats; What schools should I apply to

Post by nealric » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:28 am

mxnal wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:23 pm
unfortunately I can't retake.
This is rarely actually the case. Bump up the score into the 160s, and you'll be in a totally different universe.

As for where to apply if you absolutely refuse to sit out a year and retake, given your stats, you'd need to apply to regional schools. Hard to give recommendations without a location preference.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:18 pm

I echo the prior advice.

You can and should retake.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:27 pm

What are your career goals/anticipated COA?

BL2017

New

Post by BL2017 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:27 pm

Honestly, your best bet from a purely “just trying to get in” with your current stats perspective would be to target schools in states with no diversity (Iowa/Minnesota/Indiana, etc.) and try to gain admission on a reach. Maybe a T2 in a big city you’d be cool living in after graduation and having a modest job.

But you really should retake.

mxnal

New

Post by mxnal » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:31 pm

nealric wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:28 am
mxnal wrote:
This is rarely actually the case. Bump up the score into the 160s, and you'll be in a totally different universe.

As for where to apply if you absolutely refuse to sit out a year and retake, given your stats, you'd need to apply to regional schools. Hard to give recommendations without a location preference.
You're 100% right, part of the issue with retaking was having my parents wanting me to go straight into law school out of undergrad. But after some discussion I think retaking would suit me best, my gpa would also be much better by next cycle. Out of curiosity, what would the thoughts be on still applying to a few schools during this cycle and if I am not happy with the results simply wait for next cycle? is this common?

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:02 am

mxnal wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:31 pm
nealric wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:28 am
mxnal wrote:

You're 100% right, part of the issue with retaking was having my parents wanting me to go straight into law school out of undergrad. But after some discussion I think retaking would suit me best, my gpa would also be much better by next cycle. Out of curiosity, what would the thoughts be on still applying to a few schools during this cycle and if I am not happy with the results simply wait for next cycle? is this common?
You can always try, but you may be tempted to sell yourself short.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”