Egyptian Considering Applying As Black Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lizzien123

New

Egyptian Considering Applying As Black

Post by lizzien123 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:06 pm

So I'm an Egyptian considering applying as Black. When people say Arabs should apply as white, I think they're typically referring to those who can easily pass as white. However, I do not fit into this. My hair is very curly, I have a broad nose, thick lips, and tan skin. Most people racialize me as mixed (Black and white) or Afro-Latina. However, I think I could be ethnically ambiguous with my hair straightened (I mostly wear it naturally but I sometimes straighten it). I worry about that ambiguity and how it could mean I'm taking advantage of a marginalized identity. It's kind of been a crisis throughout my life and the narrow categories of the law school app make it even more difficult. Would love some input.

cheaptilts

Silver

Re: Egyptian Considering Applying As Black

Post by cheaptilts » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:35 pm

If you historically identify as Black, then you should identify that way in your application. If you don’t, then don’t. It’s really that simple.

But how others identify you shouldn’t come into the equation. Neither should your perceived ethnic ambiguity. It’s really that simple.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:37 pm

This isn't very complicated.

Ask yourself: Would you describe yourself as black if you weren't gonna benefit from it in your law school admissions cycle? (I assume you know the answer to this question. You've answered the "What race are you?" question before no?)

If yes, great. You're black.

If no, well it sounds like you might get away with calling yourself black. But I don't think I need to explain why that's a really shitty thing to do.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:49 pm

Totally agree with the two answers above mine. I get that if you're regularly assumed to be Black, it makes negotiating the world more complicated, but it sounds like one of the reasons why that's more complicated is that you don't actually identify that way. If I've misunderstood that, then my apologies - your OP just makes it sound like it's an identity others put on you, not one you believe yourself to have.

Rooks

New

Post by Rooks » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:34 am

Identify as you always have. Remember, your state's Character and Fitness application is awaiting you after you graduate law school.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:43 am

The only answer to this situation is to tic the box. I’m a black male. And, if people see you as black, you’ve been disadvantaged in some way.

You’re now given a slight advantage. DO NOT feel bad about taking it.

Don’t mitigate the merits of AA or whether is was implemented for people in your situation.

No ones sitting there litigating the merits of legacy admissions, white privilege, and intergenerational wealth.

No one is saying did I get this LSAT score because my parents could afford a tutor. Or did I have this high GPA because I went to a great suburban high school.

Few doors ever open for minorities, don’t walk, leap through them.

lawschoollife88

New

Post by lawschoollife88 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:15 pm

Agree, identify as you always have identified-don't change things up last minute because you think it might give you an "edge"

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”