3.1 167 AA male, chance me Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
dirtynef

New

3.1 167 AA male, chance me

Post by dirtynef » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:25 pm

Some WE, strong UG softs. Want CCN, would ED for sure. If not, would like Penn. Applying wherever else gives me a fee waiver, so far that's just Cornell. Will send out ED app prior to Oct. Will retake in Oct for a 170 but not holding my breath.

dirtynef

New

Re: 3.1 167 AA male, chance me

Post by dirtynef » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:19 pm

bump

dvlthndr

Bronze

Post by dvlthndr » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:47 am

You've asked about your chances before, and got some very solid advice the first few times around. I'm not sure if there's really anything more to say.

AA admissions are unpredictable to start, and applying as a splitter exacerbates things. Outside of HYS, everything in the T14 is "possible, but unlikely." For CCN your chances of getting in are probably in the 20-40% range. You could realistically get into all three... or just one... or none at all.

If you start to factor in aid packages, it gets even more unpredictable. Even with a 165, a decent aid package isn't out of the question (the occasional student gets $25-$50k at CCN, or up to $100k in the lower half of the T14). Your chances improve if you can hit 170, but it's still going to be a bit of a crap-shoot at any given school.

I wouldn't trade my chance at aid for the marginal benefit of applying ED. I would skip it, and just roll the dice on as many schools as possible. The odds are good that that *somebody* gives you an acceptance, and that you will have a couple aid-package as negotiating leverage. You can apply ED if you are really just ride-or-die for Chicago/Columbia and willing to leave money of the table, but I would apply broadly regardless.

dirtynef

New

Post by dirtynef » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:12 pm

Much appreciated. Previous post was in reference solely to ED, in a hypo where I could get above a 170. Unsure whether this will actually come through so I wanted to see how my current situation fared. There are like two data points with my scores on mylsn so I figured someone here might have some insight. But yeah, totally understand that. Looks like a 170 would help (obviously) but everything is up in the air no matter what. Will update LSN with outcomes for anyone else in a similar situation in the future.

PS: Fwiw to anyone reading this, AA with a 3.1-9 with a score between 165 and 169 has an 83% shot at NYU per mylsn, so consider that.

logan3000

New

Post by logan3000 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:07 pm

dirtynef wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:12 pm
PS: Fwiw to anyone reading this, AA with a 3.1-9 with a score between 165 and 169 has an 83% shot at NYU per mylsn, so consider that.

"3.1-9" meaning 3.1 - 3.9? that's a pretty massive range lol

dirtynef

New

Post by dirtynef » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:08 pm

Writing on mobile, whoops. 3.10-3.19 lol

logan3000

New

Post by logan3000 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:33 pm

ah ok, wow, nice.

seems like you've got a good shot then, but with such a small sample and the higher unpredictability of both 1) splitter admissions/aid, and 2) AA admissions/aid, would agree with the prior poster that you don't want to lock yourself in via ED when another might come through with significantly more aid (unless aid isn't a concern).

really think ED only makes sense when 1) the school is a major reach, 2) the school has some specific benefit for the applicant that others don't, and 3) aid isn't a concern. otherwise just apply broadly and either take the money or use whatever offers you get for leverage.

dirtynef

New

Post by dirtynef » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:56 pm

Much appreciated. Yeah, I definitely understand that rationale, but I saw another user on here with similar stats strike out with the entire T13. Granted, looks like he applied late, but I would not like to be in that boat. I think an early app plus ED is worth it. Hell, I may not even get in with that. The poster above is probably correct that I'm looking at a possibility of getting in and not a probability. Even with ED, an early app, great essays, solid LORs, and a good addendum, I'm still not looking at any real degree of certainty. Plus my goals are biglaw, so debt is something I'm somewhat comfortable with. I'll think about it over the next week or so but I think it might be the best option.

trafalgar

New

Post by trafalgar » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:41 pm

Apply broadly across the T14 (not Cornell) + Georgetown/UT/Vandy. Admissions are unpredictable but you should get at least one bite from the lower half of the T14 and you have a decent shot at the last 3. You may get some money from schools but you are going to be paying for most of your education wherever you get in.

Columbia/NYU/Penn are all unlikely from where you sit right now. If you can get to a 170, you have a shot.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:22 am

trafalgar wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:41 pm
Apply broadly across the T14 (not Cornell) + Georgetown/UT/Vandy. Admissions are unpredictable but you should get at least one bite from the lower half of the T14 and you have a decent shot at the last 3. You may get some money from schools but you are going to be paying for most of your education wherever you get in.

Columbia/NYU/Penn are all unlikely from where you sit right now. If you can get to a 170, you have a shot.
This would hold true at any school at the T14 he applied to.
I had similar stats to you OP, ended up getting some money from a T6, and foregoing serious money at a T14. PM me

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”