Should I take the LSAT or GRE? USC is my top choice Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
1Mommylawyer

New

Should I take the LSAT or GRE? USC is my top choice

Post by 1Mommylawyer » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:38 pm

Hello,
I am a URM with a 3.87 GPA. I want to study from now until November to take either the LSAT or GRE. Which should I take? I do plan to apply to most of the T-15, but USC is my absolute top choice. Also wondering if I should apply ED?

Thanks!

dvlthndr

Bronze

Re: Should I take the LSAT or GRE? USC is my top choice

Post by dvlthndr » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:50 pm

Take the LSAT. Not every school takes GRE scores, and there is a risk that it will negatively impact your chances at scholarships etc. at certain schools. The GRE is really meant for people that spent a few years in graduate school and did something else prior to law school (e.g., people with a masters degree in some STEM field).

Don’t apply E.D. unless you are willing to pay full price for a school. If you perform well on the LSAT there is a strong chance that many T14 schools will offer you a substantial scholarships. Even if you want to go to USC for personal reasons (e.g., you are geographically limited), I would strongly recommend applying normally.

1Mommylawyer

New

Post by 1Mommylawyer » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:28 pm

dvlthndr wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:50 pm
Take the LSAT. Not every school takes GRE scores, and there is a risk that it will negatively impact your chances at scholarships etc. at certain schools. The GRE is really meant for people that spent a few years in graduate school and did something else prior to law school (e.g., people with a masters degree in some STEM field).

Don’t apply E.D. unless you are willing to pay full price for a school. If you perform well on the LSAT there is a strong chance that many T14 schools will offer you a substantial scholarships. Even if you want to go to USC for personal reasons (e.g., you are geographically limited), I would strongly recommend applying normally.
Thank you for your advice!

gekko

New

Post by gekko » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:58 am

I just want to mention a weird email I got after writing to confirm to USC that my file was complete with the exception of an LSAT since I was a GRE applicant. (I'd actually just spoken to them a couple days before at the West Coast Consortium fair.) I got one email that said thanks for the update and then another one indicating that since I had a GRE I couldn't be considered this year (Fall 2020) since they had a different earlier deadline for those who wished to be considered as GRE applicants. It's still sitting in my LSAC account without transmission...I got the impression from a call that no one there knows the process and it's a ton of red tape.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”