Would really appreciate some help, Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
TempAcc1234

New

Would really appreciate some help,

Post by TempAcc1234 » Fri May 29, 2020 7:20 pm

Hey, if you're reading this I truly hope you and your loved ones have been safe and healthy during these trying times.

I'm writing this post because I simply can't seem to find one consistent answer anywhere. I've read online, in forums, on just about everything I can find and have not been able to find a definitive answer to what I can't help but feel is a simple question. Being born in the Dominican Republic, am I considered a URM? Some extra information if needed: My parents were also born in the Dominican Republic, I have fairly light skin (sometimes confused with being Caucasian), and came to America during 2nd grade of primary school where I took ESL courses. I've since then lived in New York City. If possible, although I'm not sure how probable, I'd really appreciate if someone who has been processed as a URM while being Dominican could chime in.

Thank you for your time!

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Would really appreciate some help,

Post by crazywafflez » Sat May 30, 2020 8:24 pm

At your point it is how you feel. I'm hispanicish- Sephardi ancestry then to Uruguay. I didn't feel comfortable putting URM, but I put like white hispanic and other if I remember correctly. I wrote a diversity statement too. I think whatever you are most comfortable putting is fine. I think marking URM is fine in your case if you feel comfortable identifying as a minority group that has largely been underrepresented in the legal community.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”