AA Male from Canada with Questions Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Ultra

New

AA Male from Canada with Questions

Post by Ultra » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:42 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been a long time lurker since 2016 when I decided that I was going to get serious about attending law school at the end of my degree. Now four years later I am writing my LSAT this summer and applying to schools this fall. Being that i'm Canadian though, I have a few questions.

1) When it comes to financing a legal education in the US as a Canadian, are there federal/state student loans that I would be eligible for? Are there American banking institutions that would lend to me as a Canadian? Or would I have to finance this with lending from Canadian institutions?

2) Should I write a PS and a DS? If so what should I talk about within my PS and what should I talk about in my DS? Being AA most of this information would be related and it can be hard to separate, so if anyone has any personal experience it would be a big help.

That is all for now, I appreciate any help!

BrainsyK

Bronze

Re: AA Male from Canada with Questions

Post by BrainsyK » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:52 pm

1. I don't think that you're eligible for any US federal/state loans. US banks usually require a creditworthy US citizen to co-sign your loan. You'd have to finance this mostly with your own money or scholarship. Canadian banks are willing to lend if you have a creditworthy co-signer with decent income. The limit on most of these loans is usually ~$100,000 CAD. HYS have their own scholarship fund for law students, but they're the exception.

2. If you have nothing to talk about that's terribly interesting, don't write a DS. The big advantage will come from checking the box. If you do have something to talk about that genuinely makes you diverse, go for it.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”