3.08 From #1 Public University & 171 LSAT Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
atnychvz

New

3.08 From #1 Public University & 171 LSAT

Post by atnychvz » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:11 am

Was a transfer into Berkeley & majored in Political Economy. Notorious major on campus with low GPA average. Worked full time all of undergrad. My major GPA was like a 2.9 and cumulative GPA ended up a 3.08. Currently working at a top investment bank (think Goldman, Morgan Stanley). Also first Gen, URM Hispanic. Shooting for UCLA ED. Also USC, Berkeley, Irvine. Safety is Pepperdine. Where else should I apply and am I shooting too high? Thank You.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: 3.08 From #1 Public University & 171 LSAT

Post by crazywafflez » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:22 am

Do you want to stay in Cali? Guessing yes, I think your list is good- you are a splitter hardcore. Being a URM is certainly going to help, but I think being hispanic won't carry you as far in California. Idk if you need to ED to UCLA- do they give scholarships to ED students? I think you've got a good chance at a scholarship at UCI for close to a full ride, and decent packages at USC or even UCLA (less confident on this one, but I do think you'll get in). Cal is harder to guess- I actually think they give a bit more leniency on LSATs than GPAs, but maybe they look for splitters on both ends and balance it. I think UCB will be tough for you in general though.
Honestly, unless you are sold on being a lawyer, I wouldn't trade your job at a top investment bank to go to Pepperdine or a school comparable to it. Not to disparage Pepperdine, it is a fine school, but the chances of you making more money (if big law or decent in house work are your goals) are slim, and it'll be tough to clench a good govt position too if that is what you are gunning for. If you are just aiming to become a public servant (ie public defender or something) just go to the cheapest school you can with the best scholly offer, or a school with a great LRAP program. Best of luck.

atnychvz

New

Post by atnychvz » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:00 am

I'd like to stay in California, but not opposed to schools in major cities. NY, DC, Chicago, SF. What would you suggest?

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:36 am

atnychvz wrote:I'd like to stay in California, but not opposed to schools in major cities. NY, DC, Chicago, SF. What would you suggest?
You should blanket the T14 as a URM splitter. All of them can get you back to California and this strategy ensures you get paid in scholarship $$$ for your LSAT score. Even if you don't want to go to, say, UVA (although you should strongly consider it, should it be your best offer), you can take your scholarship offer from UVA to Berkeley and see if they'll match or come close.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:50 am

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
atnychvz wrote:I'd like to stay in California, but not opposed to schools in major cities. NY, DC, Chicago, SF. What would you suggest?
You should blanket the T14 as a URM splitter. All of them can get you back to California and this strategy ensures you get paid in scholarship $$$ for your LSAT score. Even if you don't want to go to, say, UVA (although you should strongly consider it, should it be your best offer), you can take your scholarship offer from UVA to Berkeley and see if they'll match or come close.
+1. You're going to have an unpredictable cycle because of your not-awesome GPA and your awesome LSAT and URM status, but you'll have better odds at a good t14 scholarship offer if you apply to all (or most) of them (personally I'd only omit Yale).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”