UVA vs Georgetown vs R&R Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
NitroGenesis

New

UVA vs Georgetown vs R&R

Post by NitroGenesis » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:26 pm

Stats are 3.68/170/URM (black)
So I applied to most of the T-14 in late December. I’ve been accepted into UVA and Georgetown, and the cost of attendance for both would be around 220k (would probably be a bit less though, since I’ll be living with my partner). I’ve been waitlisted at almost every other school, and am still waiting to hear back from a few. My goals are fed gov or PI, but debt hanging over my head scares me, so I could do BL for a bit to pay it off faster. I don’t /want/ to but ya know how it is. Please be honest, would I be an idiot if I didn’t retake? I know I applied a bit late, and I wrote my PS on a topic some people consider risky. My highest practice test score is a 174, so I'm confident I could at least score a few points higher with some hard work.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: UVA vs Georgetown vs R&R

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:51 pm

Send LOCIs- I was waitlisted at the school I'm currently at, sent one in, and two days later got in off the waitlist with a scholarship. I think you'll get some money for sure- if you don't just wait until next cycle. Your stats are good enough to merit some real cash from G'town and others- are there some other issues in your application? Wait and see is your best approach. Between G'town and UVA i'd pick UVA; especially since there are LRAP programs and you are interested in govt and PI jobs. You could try telling G'town you got a UVA offer and they need to sweeten the pot for you. What other T14s did you apply to? I'd wait and see or reapply next cycle with a safer PS. Did you get an offers from T20 schools for full rides- cause honestly, your stats would merit basically full rides at WashU and a pretty darn good package at say Vandy or UCLA. Truthfully, your stats should've given you good snags at the lower T14 (but, waitlisted you cause of yield protection). Send some LOCIs and get in contact with the departments over there. Best of luck.

Sackboy

Silver

Re: UVA vs Georgetown vs R&R

Post by Sackboy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:54 pm

Your PTs show you can make a sizable LSAT improvement, so R&R in September when apps open. Do not wait until December again. Also, change your essay topic to something less "risky." This whole deal is 95% GPA+LSAT driven. The essay is to show that you are a human being that can type. There is no reason to pick a topic that could be a red flag. I'm sorry if this suppresses your artistic expression, but it's for the better.

You will have much better options if you R&R. You had a particularly weak cycle for your numbers as it is, so improvement on your LSAT/applying earlier/fixing your essay topic should dramatically change your results.

If you absolutely must go, UVA >>>> GULC.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”