Non-Traditional a Deterrent? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
JGermaine

New

Non-Traditional a Deterrent?

Post by JGermaine » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:05 pm

Apologies in advance, this might be a bit long. While reading through the forum, I've seen several snarky responses from people who seem to think that only those who entered at 22/23 are serious about attending law school, so I feel it's important to give some backstory.

I am 36. I have been teaching in my field (I was not an education major) for about 13 years. When I was in undergrad, despite the fact that I wanted to go to law school, I chose my major (a social science) based on pressure from my family and then went to graduate school, instead. I was recently diagnosed with a chronic (not fatal) illness, and nothing will highlight your regrets for you like a health scare. I've decided that if I want to go to law school, it's now or never--and never is not an option.

I earned my B.A. cum laude and my M.A. with distinction. My overall combined GPA was 3.68. Other relevant information: I am not married and have no children, I am published in my field (not primary author; research/coding assistant), my current teaching field is tangentially related to the type of law I'm interested in, and I am Chahta (I am enrolled and carry CDIB and Adult Tribal Membership cards.)

I am registered for the LSAT in July, and what I would like to know is what my target score should be to even begin to seem like an appealing candidate to a law school worth attending.

(Also, semi-related: Do I address the "Why now?" in my personal statement?)

Thank you.

cavalier1138

Re: Non-Traditional a Deterrent?

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:22 pm

JGermaine wrote:While reading through the forum, I've seen several snarky responses from people who seem to think that only those who entered at 22/23 are serious about attending law school, so I feel it's important to give some backstory.
I'm not sure where you've seen those. The vast majority of snarky responses I see are telling 22/23-year-olds to slow the hell down and not go to law school right away. Make sure you aren't confusing criticism of people expressing a sudden desire to leave a lucrative career to spend $300k on a T2 school for the "experience" with criticism of their age.
JGermaine wrote:I earned my B.A. cum laude and my M.A. with distinction. My overall combined GPA was 3.68. Other relevant information: I am not married and have no children, I am published in my field (not primary author; research/coding assistant), my current teaching field is tangentially related to the type of law I'm interested in, and I am Chahta (I am enrolled and carry CDIB and Adult Tribal Membership cards.)

I am registered for the LSAT in July, and what I would like to know is what my target score should be to even begin to seem like an appealing candidate to a law school worth attending.
Only your undergrad GPA counts for admissions purposes, so what was your standalone undergrad GPA?

With regards to your target LSAT score: Your target is 180. Once you have a score, you can evaluate whether you have a reasonable shot at a school worth attending. But determining which schools are worth attending is going to depend on your career goals.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”