Is it a waste to apply? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
LegalSquare

New

Is it a waste to apply?

Post by LegalSquare » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:23 pm

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if you think I have a shot at Harvard or Yale. I am hesitant to waste my application material if I were to be a reapplicant.

Stats:
3.7-3.8
URM Latinx (yes one of the latinx ones that supposedly gives boost)
Non first gen student
First gen American
Fulbright and a couple of cool internships
Masters from ivy
26 yo

I was thinking of retaking the lsat in April just to have another score to submit (no idea if they'd even look at this) / prepare for the high possibility of being a reapplicant. As of now, I’m sprinkling T14, but wondering if a shot in the dark now to Harvard and Yale is a total waste or not. I am eager to apply simply because I feel so old so it’d be better not to wait, BUT I will do it if need be.

Thanks for any insight and I know my score isn’t that hot (my anxiety made me blank on most of the logic games) so I am hoping I can overcome that and get a 170ish my next take. Fingers crossed.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Re: Is it a waste to apply?

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:36 pm

Yes, it's a waste to apply to Harvard and Yale with those numbers, even with good softs. See my comment on your other (identical) thread for more details.

LegalSquare

New

Post by LegalSquare » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:02 pm

Thanks, appreciate your comments on both posts. I posted it on the urm forum, promise I’m not trying to be annoying! Lol

antelope

New

Post by antelope » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:47 pm

At this point, it's a waste of time and money to apply there with those stats. You'd be below both 25ths at those schools, even the URM boost won't make much difference this late in the cycle.

Not sure if you read the FAQ page for Harvard admissions, but last LSAT they take is February and they don't hold decisions for future scores, signing up for April won't do anything for this cycle. Same for Yale, they don't hold apps for future scores, you can see it on their admissions process page.

If you're not happy with your results this cycle, you can prepare for the lsat, retake and reapply earlier next cycle, this could be the best you could do. Best of luck in this process, OP.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”