Native American top law school chances Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ncan360

New

Native American top law school chances

Post by ncan360 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:07 pm

Planning on applying next year, was not able to complete the application process/LSAT in time this year due to professional commitments.

- Native American, grew up in very underrepresented state

- 3.73 GPA undergrad from an Ivy, with honors. Humanities major.

- MA from an Oxbridge school (UK)

- LSAT practice tests in upper 160s, hoping to get low 170s by time of exam (taking in July). I think this is probably my biggest variable.

- Successful professional career in tech/entertainment industry, worked in several offices in multiple countries in leadership positions. Will be a slightly more mature applicant (late 20s/early 30s)

Looking at top 5 schools especially Stanford. Interested in my chances for top 14. Are Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc totally out of line for me?

I've used 7sage and a few other law school predictors, but am interested in subjective opinions.

Thanks in advance.

dabigchina

Gold

Re: Native American top law school chances

Post by dabigchina » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:11 pm

U will be fine for literally every law school.

kinge

New

Post by kinge » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:13 pm

A high 160s score (167+) would make you very very competitive for HYS. A 170+ would practically make you an autoadmit. You would probably get significant scholarship money at multiple lower T14s too.

Best of luck on the LSAT!

ncan360

New

Post by ncan360 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:55 pm

Thank you both.

My top choices are Stanford, Harvard, Yale, then Chicago, Columbia, and then Georgetown, USC.

Hoping the LSAT goes as planned, if not better!

ncan360

New

Post by ncan360 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:01 pm

Would appreciate any other tips or guidance as I am quite early in this process.

Thank you

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:16 pm

Focus on the LSAT for now. It's about 95% of what you have control over at this point.

You can also start reaching out to professors from college/grad school about letters of recommendation.

If you haven't already heard about it, Stanford's Knight-Hennessy program would be a dream for you, and (again, depending heavily on the LSAT) you seem competitive on paper. Maybe try and get in touch with some alumni of your undergrad who are in the program.

ncan360

New

Post by ncan360 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:42 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:Focus on the LSAT for now. It's about 95% of what you have control over at this point.

You can also start reaching out to professors from college/grad school about letters of recommendation.

If you haven't already heard about it, Stanford's Knight-Hennessy program would be a dream for you, and (again, depending heavily on the LSAT) you seem competitive on paper. Maybe try and get in touch with some alumni of your undergrad who are in the program.

Good advice. Thank you. I'm familiar with the Knight-Hennessy program and will continue to explore it. Seems exceptionally competitive!

I have remained in touch with these professors since grad school so the LORs should be easy. I expect to get one professional recommendation too.

After more research, really pushing for Stanford and Harvard and then have my T14 picks and safeties.

ncan360

New

Post by ncan360 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:52 pm

168 + is a good bet for most these schools?

Bronze

Post by 239840 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:43 pm

ncan360 wrote:168 + is a good bet for most these schools?
It should be good enough for lower T14 schools, yes. If you want HYS or CCN to be options, a 170 would set you up even better for success, particularly with a 3.73. You have strong softs, so a 168 might get the job done, though.

ncan360

New

Post by ncan360 » Wed May 20, 2020 12:46 pm

GPA was actually 3.75 (from non HYP ivy), LSATs consistently in low 170s now. Expecting 170 +

Any updates on chances with these stats?

Top schools at the moment: Stanford, Yale, Berkeley, Harvard, Columbia, Chicago, NYU, USC, UCLA, UT Austin.

Enrolled in recognized tribe and active involvement with it growing up and it is still a big part of my family, obviously. From very underrepresented state with a large NA population.

dvlthndr

Bronze

Post by dvlthndr » Wed May 20, 2020 4:12 pm

URM admissions are unpredictable, particularly Native American admissions (there are just too few applicants with exceptional LSAT/GPA numbers in a given cycle to make meaningful predictions).

That said, you can play with mylsn and see how URM applicants have generally done in the past: 165/3.75 gives you “decent” odds at every T14 school (~30%), and 170/3.75 gives you “very good” odds at every T14 school (~80%).

ncan360

New

Post by ncan360 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:16 pm

Thanks so much for your response. I understand; it's difficult to gauge with few statistics to make sense of predictions. Fingers crossed for good results, particularly given the nature of the situation at present and likely lots of deferrals for this upcoming year.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Thu May 21, 2020 10:10 pm

With a 3.75, Oxbridge grad degree (I'm assuming a merit/ 2:1 or higher), and a 165+ score you will get into Gtown, and probs the lower t14. I'd suspect you would be getting some money as well. 168 your chances go up dramatically for the T14- I don't think the T6 are quite a lock here but still a good chance. A 170 will make you easily competitive for great scholarships at all schools- I don't think HYS are ever a sure lock though, no matter the stats- but with your softs and background I'd think you could count on H tbh. I'd be shocked if CCN didn't admit you with money at a 170 as a URM with your background. Good luck and keep up the great work.

ncan360

New

Post by ncan360 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:49 pm

The 2:1 is just a distinction for undergrad, I received the highest honors possible in my program, however.

Working hard to get 170 + and very confident I will pull off at least 168 +. I can always retake August or October need-be.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”