URM In-House Counsel Answering Questions Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
WastingMyLife

New

URM In-House Counsel Answering Questions

Post by WastingMyLife » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:42 pm

I've been in-house counsel for the past 2 years at a major company (you've heard of it and probably used its services at some point). Prior to being in-house, I worked at an AM 500 law firm for several years, transferring from a mid-sized law firm prior to that. I graduated from Berkeley in 2012. Happy to answer any questions.

Tailormade18

New

Re: URM In-House Counsel Answering Questions

Post by Tailormade18 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:42 pm

How many years did you have to work before you went in-house? Do you think it is possible to go in-house without first working for a “Big Law” form? Did you take a substantial pay cut?

Thanks!

Intro-gamer

New

Post by Intro-gamer » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:48 am

WastingMyLife wrote:I've been in-house counsel for the past 2 years at a major company (you've heard of it and probably used its services at some point). Prior to being in-house, I worked at an AM 500 law firm for several years, transferring from a mid-sized law firm prior to that. I graduated from Berkeley in 2012. Happy to answer any questions.
What was your practice area at the firm? Is your practice area as in-house counsel the same as your practice area when you were a firm associate? Or have you adopted a more generalist role?

What have been the pros and cons of going in-house in your opinion?

HPCompaqLA230

New

Post by HPCompaqLA230 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:00 pm

Thanks for answering everyone. Very helpful.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”