3.68/170/URM (AA Female) T-14 with $? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
NitroGenesis

New

3.68/170/URM (AA Female) T-14 with $?

Post by NitroGenesis » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:51 pm

Hello! So, I'm wondering about my chances to get into a T-14 school with money (I'm pretty debt adverse). My GPA is pretty bad so I'm afraid it might cripple me. LSN has an incredibly low sample size so I thought I'd ask around here. I really want to apply this cycle. Would I be okay applying this cycle or would I need to retake and apply next year to reach this goal? Here's my stats:

GPA: 3.68
LSAT: 170
URM: Yes, African-American female (also a lesbian but idk if that matters much lol)
Softs: Average. Lots of campus involvement, held many leadership positions. Studied abroad.
Work Experience: Worked throughout college and am currently self-employed (Graphic/Illustrative artist)

I'd really love to practice in Chicago so NW or UC would be amazing. :,)

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: 3.68/170/URM (AA Female) T-14 with $?

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:42 pm

Your GPA isn't even that bad and your LSAT is great. You're in the running, although not guaranteed, for huge scholarships across the T14 (see the data for 170 and <3.7 GPA below, with the usual caveats about self-reporting and tiny sample size).

If you're up for it, retaking might still be a good idea because it would move the needle at Yale/Stanford and for named full-rides like UChicago's Rubenstein. It's also a bit late in the cycle for scholarship money so, while you'd probably get some solid options anyway, don't be afraid to take a second shot in September.

DOJ1111

New

Post by DOJ1111 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:54 pm

Your stats are solid. If you can afford the time to reapply at the beginning of the next cycle, that might help you with $.

Echoing the sentiment of the previous poster, your GPA is not as bad as you might think it is.

If you are supporting yourself and covering all of your expenses, that is a solid accomplishment.

Good luck, sending you positive energy and encouragement :)

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:24 pm

Welcome to the fora, and congrats on your 170!

See below. I've expanded the sample size to include both URM and non-URM applicants. So, the below actually lowballs your chances significantly, and even so you have a great shot at $$$ at a T13, particularly Michigan, and a very reasonable shot at getting in to NW and even Chicago.

Now, if you were to squeeze an extra few points out of the LSAT, that would help (see below for combined URM/non-URM results with a ~173 LSAT). But, I think absolutely still worth trying this cycle. If you aren't satisfied with your results, and/or end up underperforming your MyLSN predictions due to applying too late in the cycle, you can always try again next cycle (schools don't penalize applicants for reapplying).
And again, very important: you will/should significantly outperform the stats above, which include (a majority of) non-URM applicants. So, I think the results above generally confirm the accuracy of LSAT Airbender's URM-only data earlier in this thread.

One last note. Even though LGBTQ status isn't considered a URM status for law school admissions purposes, sexual orientation can absolutely still serve as a basis for a compelling Diversity Statement. Keep in mind a DS isn't required, so if you've never experienced any adversity/feeling of "otherness"/etc. due to your race or sexual orientation, don't feel obligated to try to piece together a DS. But just wanted to flag up that option for you to consider.

NitroGenesis

New

Post by NitroGenesis » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:37 pm

Thank you for the replies everyone! All very informative and helpful. I think I'll blanket the T-14 and see how I do with scholarships. If I'm not happy with the offers (which sounds doubtful given the information y'all shared) then I'll reapply next cycle.

Thank you, again! :)

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:29 pm

NitroGenesis wrote:Thank you for the replies everyone! All very informative and helpful. I think I'll blanket the T-14 and see how I do with scholarships. If I'm not happy with the offers (which sounds doubtful given the information y'all shared) then I'll reapply next cycle.

Thank you, again! :)
Best of luck! For applying this cycle, every day counts, and keep in mind law schools won't review your application until it is entirely complete, including all of your transcripts and rec letters. So, if you haven't gotten your transcripts and/or rec letters in yet, maybe start there, as many recommenders take some time to do this (and schools & LSAC also take some time to mail in and process transcripts - assume at least a week, and plan for two, even for U.S. schools, from the time you submit your transcript request to the time LSAC finishes processing it). Don't wait until after you're done with your PS and (if applicable) DS before thinking about transcripts and rec letters.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”