Advice for law school journey. Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Ross Specter

New

Re: Advice for law school journey.

Post by Ross Specter » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:57 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Ross Specter wrote:I have full confidence in securing a job.
And full confidence in being able to perform in the top of your class at a school like Howard. And full confidence in pretty much everything except your ability to do well on the LSAT, despite not needing to take it for a number of years.

Confidence is great (to a certain degree). I think what's throwing people off here is that you seem to be deliberately avoiding the most viable route to your goals based on your lack of confidence in one specific area and your abundance of confidence in others.
I have full confidence in written response tests not as much confidence in multiple choice tests.

Libya

New

Post by Libya » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:48 pm

You cannot predict how you will do before law school. And as someone with business acumen I hope you can see how going to a school with around 25% biglaw placement is a very risky investment if the goal is biglaw. Also, being in the top 25% of your class does not even guarantee biglaw because the hiring does not perfectly correlate with grades. Absent significant connections st a biglaw firm, I would not go into law school expecting biglaw at any school outside the T14.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:44 pm

Ross Specter wrote:I have full confidence in written response tests not as much confidence in multiple choice tests.
Law schools also give multiple choice tests.

As for Howard, not to speak for LSATWiz, but you still have better odds at a T14 than at Howard. His point was that Howard punches above its weight because it's a reliable source of black associates for firms concerned about diversity in hiring. But it's still only placing 25% in biglaw. A T14 that places more like 70-75% in biglaw (leaving aside clerkship placement) still provides you with more opportunities, and to the extent that diverse hiring is a concern, you still offer that to a firm from a T14. And you will get in front of many more firms than you would from Howard.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:32 pm

Howard's impressive among Tier 2/3 schools in that it offers any chance at all to interview for big law firms -- that doesn't mean it's a good idea to go there if one's goal is biglaw.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”