Terrible GPA (2.33-2.5) Chances in top 50 with strong LSAT? (170+) Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ClowdyRowdy

New

Terrible GPA (2.33-2.5) Chances in top 50 with strong LSAT? (170+)

Post by ClowdyRowdy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:06 pm

I was pretty depressed during undergrad, first gen college student. Just not really ready for school but I powered through and graduated. Grades hit an upward trend last two years. I am now 2 years out of school and looking at law school as my main option and looking to apply next cycle. If I could get a 170+ do I still have alright chances at decent schools? Feel free to be brutally honest, I understand the implications of a bad gpa.

cavalier1138

Re: Terrible GPA (2.33-2.5) Chances in top 50 with strong LSAT? (170+)

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:35 pm

First things first, what are you hoping to do with your degree? The "T50" is technically a tier cutoff, but it's not really a useful one, in that schools outside the T13 get increasingly regional.

A low 2.x GPA is bad, and it's going to take you out of the running for a lot of schools. Could a 170+ LSAT offset that enough for you to get into a strong law school? Sure, depending on your goals. And URM status can help with that. But first, you need to get the 170+, which is far easier said than done.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:01 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:First things first, what are you hoping to do with your degree? The "T50" is technically a tier cutoff, but it's not really a useful one, in that schools outside the T13 get increasingly regional.

A low 2.x GPA is bad, and it's going to take you out of the running for a lot of schools. Could a 170+ LSAT offset that enough for you to get into a strong law school? Sure, depending on your goals. And URM status can help with that. But first, you need to get the 170+, which is far easier said than done.
+100. I'd also add that it's not even clear to me whether OP would actually be considered a URM for law school admissions purposes. OP mentions being a "first gen college student", but first gen status, by itself, does not make one a URM for law school admissions purposes. (Sure, it'll help around the edges, and OP would likely be well-served by writing a strong Diversity Statement, but OP would still be looking at acceptances and scholarship offers generally in line with their LSAC GPA and LSAT score.)

Anyway, even as a non-URM, a 170+ would likely put OP in the running for a T20 admission, but again, all this is pretty meaningless absent an actual LSAT score. Getting a 170+ is hard!

ClowdyRowdy

New

Post by ClowdyRowdy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:07 pm

I am Puerto Rican and black as well, I didnt make that as clear as I should have.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:16 pm

ClowdyRowdy wrote:I am Puerto Rican and black as well, I didnt make that as clear as I should have.
OK, then yes, definitely URM for law school admissions purposes.

Anyway, all this is (very) premature. Get an actual LSAT score first and then we can look at chances. "What if I get a 170+" is a pretty meaningless hypothetical. Best wishes studying!

goldenblade

New

Post by goldenblade » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:33 am

I agree, what are you really getting on practice LSATs? The gpa is really dismal so even if you somehow got a 170+, the admissions people will still give a thumbs down wih that gpa. I think you'll have a better chance with lower ranked schools, but that may not be worth the cost.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”