160/3.98/Mexican Male - Vandy ED Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
MexicanCountryBoy

New

160/3.98/Mexican Male - Vandy ED

Post by MexicanCountryBoy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:53 pm

GPA: 3.98

LSAT: 160 (retaking in Oct/Nov)

URM: Mexican Male, 1st gen. college grad

Undergrad: Large California State University (currently attending)

Softs:
-President/Founder of Men’s Basketball Club

-Student Mentor for Phi Alpha Delta

-Team Captain for Intramural sports

-Member of creative writing social club

-worked throughout undergrad (sales and food service)

-will only have taken 3 years for undergrad

I’m doing ED at Vanderbilt

Regular decision: Texas, Notre Dame, ASU, University of Georgia, Wake Forest, University of Wiscousin

BobLoblaw18

New

Re: 160/3.98/Mexican Male - Vandy ED

Post by BobLoblaw18 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:16 pm

I would try to retake because you'd be a lock for the T13 with a better LSAT. Especially with only having gone through college in 3 years. Congratulations on being a first gen college grad too, that will also be a big asset with adcomms.

ED at Vandy is a bad idea unless there's a guaranteed scholarship attached to that.

MexicanCountryBoy

New

Post by MexicanCountryBoy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:31 pm

BobLoblaw18 wrote:I would try to retake because you'd be a lock for the T13 with a better LSAT. Especially with only having gone through college in 3 years. Congratulations on being a first gen college grad too, that will also be a big asset with adcomms.

ED at Vandy is a bad idea unless there's a guaranteed scholarship attached to that.
There is, $35k minimum guaranteed every year with additional possible based on merit and diversity.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:06 pm

Retake, don't waste that GPA on a crap LSAT score.

MexicanCountryBoy

New

Post by MexicanCountryBoy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:42 am

BobLoblaw18 wrote:I would try to retake because you'd be a lock for the T13 with a better LSAT. Especially with only having gone through college in 3 years. Congratulations on being a first gen college grad too, that will also be a big asset with adcomms.

ED at Vandy does guarantee a minimum of 35k a year. I'm also doing public interest law and Vandy has a pretty good loan forgiveness program.

Mostly do you think I would be accepted? I'm not sure I can improve my LSAT dramatically over the next two months and besides the really elite schools, I would probably pick Vandy. It's genuinely my first pick.

BobLoblaw18

New

Post by BobLoblaw18 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:13 am

MexicanCountryBoy wrote:

ED at Vandy does guarantee a minimum of 35k a year. I'm also doing public interest law and Vandy has a pretty good loan forgiveness program.

Mostly do you think I would be accepted? I'm not sure I can improve my LSAT dramatically over the next two months and besides the really elite schools, I would probably pick Vandy. It's genuinely my first pick.
What kind of public interest law do you want to do? Why are you so set on Vandy in particular?

MexicanCountryBoy

New

Post by MexicanCountryBoy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:02 pm

BobLoblaw18 wrote:
MexicanCountryBoy wrote:

What kind of public interest law do you want to do? Why are you so set on Vandy in particular?
Mainly civil liberties advocacy. I really like the culture at Vanderbilt and the small class sizes. I think Nashville is the perfect city to be in during law school and as a springboard when I graduate and try to find employment with civil rights/liberites orgs in the South.

evannelson97

New

Post by evannelson97 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:15 am

Emory would be a good option with your stats and career goals.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”