What are my chances? 3.85 157 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Spartan98

New

What are my chances? 3.85 157

Post by Spartan98 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:12 pm

Hi everyone,

Just got my September test score back - 157. I was hoping for something higher and will keep studying for the November test. I PTed around 161. My GPA is a 3.85 with honors credit. Lots of softs - president of Mock Trial, volunteer with refugees, worked at the State Appellate Defenders and Michigan Supreme Court. What is the best school (in terms of ranking) that I can get into? I am 1/2 URM too, - Native American and Asian. Thank you for your thoughts!

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: What are my chances? 3.85 157

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:15 pm

Spartan98 wrote:What is the best school (in terms of ranking) that I can get into?
This is a dangerous way of thinking. Best and highest-ranked are very different things, especially for the kind of school you'll be able to get into with a 157.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:38 pm

Yes, with a 157 you shouldn't be looking at rankings, you should be looking at what is best for your career. The best thing you can do is retake and get into the 160s on your LSAT.

After that, you need to decide what and where you want to work after law school. Unless you get into a top 13 law school, geography becomes really important. If you want to stay in Michigan and you can't get into Michigan law or another t13, then going to Michigan State on a full ride is the better play than going to say Emory even though Emory has a higher USNews ranking.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:33 pm

Agree with the above. What do you want to do with your JD?

Spartan98

New

Post by Spartan98 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:37 pm

I want to litigate and/or work for the ACLU. I have been receiving fee waivers from really great schools (like the University of Pennsylvania), and I wonder if it's even realistic/why they are sending me them. Also, I don't really know what state I want to live in, so going to a school because I want to work there isn't a huge factor for me.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:57 pm

Spartan98 wrote:I want to litigate and/or work for the ACLU. I have been receiving fee waivers from really great schools (like the University of Pennsylvania), and I wonder if it's even realistic/why they are sending me them. Also, I don't really know what state I want to live in, so going to a school because I want to work there isn't a huge factor for me.
Litigation is an incredibly broad swathe of law, on the one hand, and the ACLU hires like two lawyers a year on the other hand. You have time to think about this, but you should probably do a lot more looking into what kind of career you want to have after law school: what kind of day-to-day work? how much money do you expect to make? are you okay with the fallback options for people who miss out on ACLU-style "unicorn" positions? Your answers to these questions will inform what kind of law school you need to go to and at what price.

You'll get fee waivers from all kinds of places. They use very crude filters (e.g. you might have gotten picked by Penn because your GPA is over a 3.8, or because you live in a certain state) and their primary aim is to get as many applications as possible, even if that includes a lot of applicants who don't make sense for the school, because it makes their job easier.

Spartan98

New

Post by Spartan98 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:33 pm

Do you guys think I have a T14 chance? I hope/wonder if my URM status will really help.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:25 pm

Spartan98 wrote:Do you guys think I have a T14 chance? I hope/wonder if my URM status will really help.
Not with your current score. But if you can get into the mid-160s, your URM status is absolutely going to help.

Spartan98

New

Post by Spartan98 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:00 am

Hi guys! Just wanted to update. Got a call, two days ago. Got into Cornell. Keep your options open and apply, even if you don't think you have a good chance!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”