URM African American Males Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
brinicolec

Gold

Re: URM African American Males

Post by brinicolec » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:36 am

I think a high GPA is going to lead to acceptances because it may be seen as somewhat of an anomaly (based on some of the posts I've seen ITT), but I do think that a high LSAT also holds a significant amount of weight -- especially if it's still strong when compared to their 25/50/75. Obviously, the ideal situation is a high GPA + a high LSAT lol.

I've seen people say the boost for AAs is as high as like +10 -- though that seems quite excessive.

I also agree with some of the commentary on GPAs not necessarily being the greatest indicators of academic capability, especially when some people (such as myself) could potentially write GPA addenda but choose not to because of potential stigmas tied to issues dealt with during UG that led to poorer performance -- which was something that ppl on here told me to avoid AND something that I kind of felt adcomms may not be able to get over when considering my application.

As someone who was on Dean's List my first and second years of college and only began to see a drop in my GPA when I started to have to deal with the issues that I wasn't comfortable telling adcomms about (and ended up with a sub-3.5 GPA), it is somewhat frustrating because while GPA addenda are welcome, sometimes it's something that you're not comfortable sharing or something that you know people have difficulty understanding that impacted your grades.

Tbh, all grading systems are kind of trash. Lol.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:52 pm

brinicolec wrote:I think a high GPA is going to lead to acceptances because it may be seen as somewhat of an anomaly (based on some of the posts I've seen ITT), but I do think that a high LSAT also holds a significant amount of weight -- especially if it's still strong when compared to their 25/50/75. Obviously, the ideal situation is a high GPA + a high LSAT lol.

I've seen people say the boost for AAs is as high as like +10 -- though that seems quite excessive.

I also agree with some of the commentary on GPAs not necessarily being the greatest indicators of academic capability, especially when some people (such as myself) could potentially write GPA addenda but choose not to because of potential stigmas tied to issues dealt with during UG that led to poorer performance -- which was something that ppl on here told me to avoid AND something that I kind of felt adcomms may not be able to get over when considering my application.

As someone who was on Dean's List my first and second years of college and only began to see a drop in my GPA when I started to have to deal with the issues that I wasn't comfortable telling adcomms about (and ended up with a sub-3.5 GPA), it is somewhat frustrating because while GPA addenda are welcome, sometimes it's something that you're not comfortable sharing or something that you know people have difficulty understanding that impacted your grades.

For USC in the box that said do you believe your GPA shows your academic performance. GPA or LSAT, I can't remember which one. I wrote how I believed it did not show my performance because in many of my classes I have set the curves on test and have been seen as the brightest student in the room. They took that lol. It is true though.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:12 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:I think a high GPA is going to lead to acceptances because it may be seen as somewhat of an anomaly (based on some of the posts I've seen ITT), but I do think that a high LSAT also holds a significant amount of weight -- especially if it's still strong when compared to their 25/50/75. Obviously, the ideal situation is a high GPA + a high LSAT lol.

For USC in the box that said do you believe your GPA shows your academic performance. GPA or LSAT, I can't remember which one. I wrote how I believed it did not show my performance because in many of my classes I have set the curves on test and have been seen as the brightest student in the room. They took that lol. It is true though.
I didn't really have to deal with any curved classes lol

lnsl123

Bronze

Post by lnsl123 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:21 pm

Last edited by lnsl123 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willmarl

New

Post by willmarl » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:32 pm

Is Affirmative Action in every state when it comes to law school or certain states? Do they consider URM's applying to Law school differently in every state?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:41 pm

willmarl wrote:Is Affirmative Action in every state when it comes to law school or certain states? Do they consider URM's applying to Law school differently in every state?
If I'm remembering correctly, some states don't do AA. I believe some discussion has been had about different states considering URMs differently but I'm not sure whether or not it's true.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:57 pm

I always thought AA only applied to the t14+ best regional schools

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:59 pm

PrezRand wrote:I always thought AA only applied to the t14+ best regional schools
You're talking AA as in affirmative action, right? I don't believe that's the case.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:27 pm

I do think the most noticeable affirmative action boost is at the T25 schools, i.e., you have a better chance of admittance w/ $ being slightly below both medians at a T-14 as opposed to being slightly below both medians at Cardozo. That's just my guess, though.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:31 pm

runinthefront wrote:I do think the most noticeable affirmative action boost is at the T25 schools, i.e., you have a better chance of admittance w/ $ being slightly below both medians at a T-14 as opposed to being slightly below both medians at Cardozo. That's just my guess, though.
From a stance of it being more noticeable, I could see that. But I think that AA is also at other schools. I'd imagine it's more noticeable at the top schools because those are the schools that often have medians that are above what is common for minority students (for a variety of reasons).

I also wouldn't know though because the highest (or lowest, depending on how you look at it) school I applied to was #25.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”