URM Chances at T6? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
del93

New

URM Chances at T6?

Post by del93 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:21 am

I just got back my score of 170 on the December LSAT administration. I'm a Latina woman, not Mexican or Puerto Rican though, and also marked American Indian as my race since my family is from a predominantly indigenous part of a South American country and my grandparents still speak the language and I identify with a lot of that culture, which I discussed in my diversity statement.

Additionally, I graduated from a top Ivy with a 3.95 GPA and have been working at a legal nonprofit for a couple of years, which I discussed in my personal statement as context for why I wish to pursue public interest law.

What are my chances at Harvard/Yale/Stanford with my stats? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I haven't been able to find much information about my particular situation, even after going to LSN and perusing forum after forum. Thanks so much!!
Last edited by del93 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

uhwrestler

Bronze

Re: Chances at T6

Post by uhwrestler » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:25 am

del93 wrote:I just got back my score of 170 on the December LSAT administration. I'm a Latina woman, not Mexican or Puerto Rican though, and also marked American Indian as my race since my family is from a predominantly indigenous part of a South American country and my grandparents still speak the language and I identify with a lot of that culture, which I discussed in my diversity statement.

Additionally, I graduated from a top Ivy with a 3.95 GPA and have been working at a legal nonprofit for a couple of years, which I discussed in my personal statement as context for why I wish to pursue public interest law.

What are my chances at Harvard/Yale/Stanford with my stats? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I haven't been able to find much information about my particular situation, even after going to LSN and perusing forum after forum. Thanks so much!!

your in at most t-6 with money....you have a very good shot at yale and stanford

grades??

Silver

Re: URM Chances at T6?

Post by grades?? » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:37 am

If you qualify as an American Indian (not saying you don't, I just know a lot of the t14 has gotten really specific about exactly who they recognize as American Indian so be aware that some might not consider an indigenous ancestry from South America as necessarily American Indian, but I am not sure either way) then you will be enjoying your pick between YSH. You should probably ask each of the three whether or not you qualify as American Indian to be sure. I know some t14s have instituted a policy where you have to be a card-carrying, recognized member of a tribe to even select the American Indian choice. You should really find out directly from each about this.

However, if you don't get the above bump but just get a hispanic bump, you will get into H, but maybe not Y or S. Id say 30% shot at Y or S if just a hispanic, but not American Indian bump.

armc808

Bronze

Post by armc808 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:26 pm

Sounds like you're in great shape to me!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:57 pm

Just make sure your personal statement and diversity statements are excellent and you are in everywhere honestly.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:39 pm

You might as well start looking for housing in New Haven, Cambridge, or Palo Alto :wink:

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”