Delete Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
johnnysacks

New

Delete

Post by johnnysacks » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:24 pm

delete
Last edited by johnnysacks on Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJ1010

Bronze

Re: AA Male 161/2.75

Post by AJ1010 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:54 pm

Try mylsn.info
I typed in your numbers and 0 people were admitted to the top 14 with your stats. I set the predictor to "AA only", so I did account for your URM status. That GPA is more than likely going to prevent you from getting into a top 14. Can you retake your LSAT? Even when I change the LSAT parameters to 164-166 with the 2.75 GPA it still gives you a 0% chance at the whole top 14 (with a small shot at acceptance at Georgetown). Is there anything you can do to explain your GPA being so low? Have you been out of school for a while? Something?

johnnysacks

New

Post by johnnysacks » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:12 pm

delete
Last edited by johnnysacks on Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJ1010

Bronze

Post by AJ1010 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:57 pm

So you should totally got to mylsn.info and type in your stats. That will let you see all of the schools. The issue is that there isnt much data covering applicants with similar numbers to you. if that doesnt help, go to the regular lawschoolnumbers.com site and look at the graphs of each school. That will show you all of the acceptances, rejections, and waitlists for each school you asked about.

A Poor Pianist

New

Post by A Poor Pianist » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:19 am

AJ1010 wrote:go to the regular lawschoolnumbers.com site and look at the graphs of each school. That will show you all of the acceptances, rejections, and waitlists for each school you asked about.
+1

This is honestly your best bet, OP. MyLsn is little more than useless for URMS considering how unpredictable our cycles tend to be due to the wide number of variables with AA admissions. While your GPA hurts a lot, your LSAT makes you competitive among minorities. I'm not going to suggest a retake because you did not ask for advice on that, but if the option is on the table it couldn't hurt. With your current numbers, I'd say you have a shot at:

FSU (Potential $)
UF (with $)
George Mason (with $)
U Miami (with $$)
St John's (Potential $)

Vandy
George Washington
Boston U
Boston College

Good luck this cycle if you choose to apply.

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Post by BobBoblaw » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:42 am

Bump that LSAT score up by 4-5 points and your options will increase dramatically. If you got a 161, you could probably get a 165 of you buckle down and study hard for the February LSAT. In order to not miss the deadlines, you can submit your applications with your current score and then have it updated to your February score to any school that doesn't straight up reject you before February scores are released. I think schools can see when you are registered for future LSAT takes and they may thus hold of on rejecting you until those scores come in.

Also, anything you can do to explain that GPA is important. Others have said the same. Working to pay your way through college, or taking care of elderly relatives or minor children may convince some adcomms, though only to a degree, they still have to report your undergrad GPA to USNWR after all. Such a low GPA will probably be a red flag to many adcomms unless you can prove that you will be able to thrive in law school via a higher LSAT score.

johnnysacks

New

Post by johnnysacks » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:25 pm

BobBoblaw wrote:Bump that LSAT score up by 4-5 points and your options will increase dramatically. If you got a 161, you could probably get a 165 of you buckle down and study hard for the February LSAT. In order to not miss the deadlines, you can submit your applications with your current score and then have it updated to your February score to any school that doesn't straight up reject you before February scores are released. I think schools can see when you are registered for future LSAT takes and they may thus hold of on rejecting you until those scores come in.

Also, anything you can do to explain that GPA is important. Others have said the same. Working to pay your way through college, or taking care of elderly relatives or minor children may convince some adcomms, though only to a degree, they still have to report your undergrad GPA to USNWR after all. Such a low GPA will probably be a red flag to many adcomms unless you can prove that you will be able to thrive in law school via a higher LSAT score.
God damn man its really a rough situation to be in. I've studied for the LSAT well over a year with a 142 starting point. I dunno if I wanna take ANOTHER year off just to eek out 4 points.

azaleafire

Bronze

Post by azaleafire » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:16 pm

johnnysacks wrote:
BobBoblaw wrote:Bump that LSAT score up by 4-5 points and your options will increase dramatically. If you got a 161, you could probably get a 165 of you buckle down and study hard for the February LSAT. In order to not miss the deadlines, you can submit your applications with your current score and then have it updated to your February score to any school that doesn't straight up reject you before February scores are released. I think schools can see when you are registered for future LSAT takes and they may thus hold of on rejecting you until those scores come in.

God damn man its really a rough situation to be in. I've studied for the LSAT well over a year with a 142 starting point. I dunno if I wanna take ANOTHER year off just to eek out 4 points.
I know when I was done I didn't want to even LOOK at a test prep book again. But the way I see it, its taking another few weeks of intense study (plus 175 to take it again), and definitely being a contender at some schools with some cash or maybe being a contender at some schools with no cash. It's up to you. I decided it wasn't worth. You may want to reconsider.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”