Please Help!!!! Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
rosieposie12

New

Please Help!!!!

Post by rosieposie12 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:33 pm

Hey everyone, I am a female URM (Puerto Rican) with a 3.29 LSAC gpa, (deans list 4/6 terms) and I am expecting to get around 170 on my LSAT. There is a twist with my GPA, my freshman and sophomore year, I had an undiagnosed chronic medical condition that seriously affected my ability to perform academically, this was coupled with the fact that I was in a bad environment at my school, which only served to stress me out/aggravate my condition. After treatment (and transferring) I received 5 As and 4 A- for my entire junior year at a "more competitive" school (3.85 lsac gpa). I am absolutely writing an addendum to address this, but what effect will this type of transcript have on my application cycle? Especially given the extremely steep upward trend? What schools should I be looking at/ do I realistically have a chance with?

I've been feeling pretty down because I clearly have the ability to succeed academically, but I had some unfortunate complications, and I keep beating myself up over my low gpa.

Thanks in advance!

ObiWahooKenobi

New

Re: Please Help!!!!

Post by ObiWahooKenobi » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:05 pm

If you do score 170, you should have your pick of some excellent schools. My guess is the low GPA will make it very difficult to get into HYS, but who knows? Good luck - you're going to do great.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:04 am

ObiWahooKenobi wrote:If you do score 170, you should have your pick of some excellent schools. My guess is the low GPA will make it very difficult to get into HYS, but who knows? Good luck - you're going to do great.

I agree Obi Wan! Worry about the LSAT, that is what is going to save you. Write an addendum like you said, and your cycle will be good. T14 for sure, coin flip chance at T6, and not great chances for HYS, but if you want to go there, always take a chance and apply.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rosieposie12

New

Post by rosieposie12 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:17 am

Would it be a better idea to wait another year so I have a stronger GPA? (Probably around a 3.5)

rosieposie12

New

Post by rosieposie12 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:17 am

Also, thank you both for your replies!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:00 am

rosieposie12 wrote:Would it be a better idea to wait another year so I have a stronger GPA? (Probably around a 3.5)
I think this depends on what your "dream" school is. I think a higher GPA will also be helpful, but if you have a good shot at your dream school this cycle....

ObiWahooKenobi

New

Post by ObiWahooKenobi » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:31 pm

rosieposie12 wrote:Would it be a better idea to wait another year so I have a stronger GPA? (Probably around a 3.5)
If there is a job at which you would be excited to work for a year (or more), that could only help. And a 3.5 is a much better GPA than 3.29, so that could be a good idea. Law school admissions do like work experience (I believe that my 3 years of work experience prior to applying helped mitigate my relatively low GPA, though my strong LSAT was much more important).

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:23 pm

Most people will tell you that the T14 is in reach, t6 will be difficult, and HYS is more than likely unreachable. However, depending on your app and LSAT, all are possibly in reach.

oidsedidy

New

Post by oidsedidy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:31 pm

rosieposie12 wrote:Hey everyone, I am a female URM (Puerto Rican) with a 3.29 LSAC gpa, (deans list 4/6 terms) and I am expecting to get around 170 on my LSAT. There is a twist with my GPA, my freshman and sophomore year, I had an undiagnosed chronic medical condition that seriously affected my ability to perform academically, this was coupled with the fact that I was in a bad environment at my school, which only served to stress me out/aggravate my condition. After treatment (and transferring) I received 5 As and 4 A- for my entire junior year at a "more competitive" school (3.85 lsac gpa). I am absolutely writing an addendum to address this, but what effect will this type of transcript have on my application cycle? Especially given the extremely steep upward trend? What schools should I be looking at/ do I realistically have a chance with?

I've been feeling pretty down because I clearly have the ability to succeed academically, but I had some unfortunate complications, and I keep beating myself up over my low gpa.

Thanks in advance!

Do not worry about your GPA- not so much because it won't be a factor but because it is out of your control. If you spent all of the time and money necessary to improving your GPA from taking additional classes on LSAT prep then your money/time will be far better spent. Once you have an LSAT score, revisit your situation and think carefully about your goals. If you crack 170, there will be many great options available to you- so focus all of your attention on that rather than worrying about the 3.29. Best of luck!

rosieposie12

New

Post by rosieposie12 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:45 pm

ObiWahooKenobi wrote:
If there is a job at which you would be excited to work for a year (or more), that could only help. And a 3.5 is a much better GPA than 3.29, so that could be a good idea. Law school admissions do like work experience (I believe that my 3 years of work experience prior to applying helped mitigate my relatively low GPA, though my strong LSAT was much more important).

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”