Can someone *please* explain the "boost" I should expect being a URM? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:18 am

brinicolec

Gold

Re: Can someone *please* explain the "boost" I should expect being a URM?

Post by brinicolec » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:28 pm

Gray wrote:Even if you don't plan to attend, there's no reason not to apply to CA schools for scholarship negotiation purposes.

I would add WUSTL to the list for the same reason.

I have added WUSTL for that reason; I must have forgotten to add it to this list. I also added USC because someone recommended it for scholarship negotiation purposes but are you suggesting UCLA should be on the list because I'd probably be able to get some $$ from them?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:31 pm

PrezRand wrote:I get that cycles for AAs can be unpredictable, which is why it is important to apply to several t14 schools. However, I thought the region you would like to practice law in or the region where you have strong ties to mattered the most. Would it make sense for someone who lives in Cali to apply to UT, Duke, Virginia, and etc?

Wait... Are you asking a question of your own? Only asking because I don't live in Cali, and I really don't have strong ties to any specific state. I did three years of college in NC but I don't like NC/don't want to live or practice here post-grad. Other than that, I was a military brat growing up so I've been all over the place.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:01 pm

brinicolec wrote:
PrezRand wrote:I get that cycles for AAs can be unpredictable, which is why it is important to apply to several t14 schools. However, I thought the region you would like to practice law in or the region where you have strong ties to mattered the most. Would it make sense for someone who lives in Cali to apply to UT, Duke, Virginia, and etc?

Wait... Are you asking a question of your own? Only asking because I don't live in Cali, and I really don't have strong ties to any specific state. I did three years of college in NC but I don't like NC/don't want to live or practice here post-grad. Other than that, I was a military brat growing up so I've been all over the place.
Yeah, I am asking the people that responded to you. Many people on this forum generally say that it is tough to crack markets you do not have ties to. I've also noticed a lot of people apply to law schools in an unpredictable manner. Would it really make sense to apply to Northwestern if you want to work down south? I'm just asking for a better understanding.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:12 pm

PrezRand wrote:Yeah, I am asking the people that responded to you. Many people on this forum generally say that it is tough to crack markets you do not have ties to. I've also noticed a lot of people apply to law schools in an unpredictable manner. Would it really make sense to apply to Northwestern if you want to work down south? I'm just asking for a better understanding.

Based on my understanding/my lurking on this forum, I'd say a couple things:

1) Look @ sites like lawschooltransparency and see where students at the schools you're interested in end up working after they graduate. I think, generally speaking, most schools seem to place students mostly where the school is located (which makes sense).

2) It seems like people recommend casting a wide net not just for more of a chance of getting into T14 schools, but also to set you up for better scholarship negotiations. So say you don't want to go to Northwestern but you apply (preferably with a fee waiver) and get a good amount of scholarship money from them, you can ~ presumably ~ use that to negotiate with another school of your choice if, for whatever reason, they didn't give you such a great deal. Obviously, the schools have to be somewhat comparable for negotiating to work or Northwestern would have to be the better school. I've also read that this is less necessary if you're someone who has a really high GPA and LSAT because you'll probably get thrown a lot of money anyway.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:29 pm

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:45 pm

brinicolec wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Yeah, I am asking the people that responded to you. Many people on this forum generally say that it is tough to crack markets you do not have ties to. I've also noticed a lot of people apply to law schools in an unpredictable manner. Would it really make sense to apply to Northwestern if you want to work down south? I'm just asking for a better understanding.

1) Look @ sites like lawschooltransparency and see where students at the schools you're interested in end up working after they graduate. I think, generally speaking, most schools seem to place students mostly where the school is located (which makes sense).

2) It seems like people recommend casting a wide net not just for more of a chance of getting into T14 schools, but also to set you up for better scholarship negotiations. So say you don't want to go to Northwestern but you apply (preferably with a fee waiver) and get a good amount of scholarship money from them, you can ~ presumably ~ use that to negotiate with another school of your choice if, for whatever reason, they didn't give you such a great deal. Obviously, the schools have to be somewhat comparable for negotiating to work or Northwestern would have to be the better school. I've also read that this is less necessary if you're someone who has a really high GPA and LSAT because you'll probably get thrown a lot of money anyway.
Yeah, I looked at LSatreport a while ago. That was one of the reasons i asked in this thread. There are some T14 schools like Penn, Berkeley, and NU that I have considered applying to, but it does not seem like many people that go there come back to TX or even Cali to a lesser extent

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:03 pm

Gray wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Gray wrote:Even if you don't plan to attend, there's no reason not to apply to CA schools for scholarship negotiation purposes.

I would add WUSTL to the list for the same reason.

I have added WUSTL for that reason; I must have forgotten to add it to this list. I also added USC because someone recommended it for scholarship negotiation purposes but are you suggesting UCLA should be on the list because I'd probably be able to get some $$ from them?

They might, you never know - UCLA will work with a USC offer and Georgetown will work with a UCLA offer. It can't hurt, especially if you get a fee waiver.
I've read Georgetown is stingy with their money so couldn't hurt. I'm going to the LAWS in DC Tuesday to see if I can pick up some fee waivers because someone else said they were able to grab quite a few there (& hopefully I'll get some valuable info too lol).

Thanks for the input!

surgicalTheater

New

Post by surgicalTheater » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:29 pm

politibro44 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Nebby wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mullens wrote:Once the application cycle starts, you will probably receive unprompted fee waivers from most of those schools. Make sure you have the settings/info on LSAC filled out that you agree to accept emails or whatever and with your approx stats + ethnicity. I think from the school end, they send out fee waivers to everyone over certain LSAT scores/GPAs so fill it out. If that doesn't happen before you're ready to fire your application off, just email admissions requesting a fee waiver and you're almost certain to get one.

I agree you should apply to Columbia and down. Remove everything below Vanderbilt from your list except the state schools in your state (and keep Howard if you so desire). People recommend blanketing because URM admissions tend to be more random and unpredictable. No point in missing out on the school that would've accepted you/given the best scholarship. Also helps later for scholarship negotiations purposes.
Regarding state schools, that's a little tricky because I guess technically I'm a NC resident but really only for in-state tuition purposes. I was a military brat growing up and am actually about to move out of NC at the end of the month, so I'm assuming I have no state schools at this point? Lol.

Okay so, to be sure I'm understanding correctly, this is my amended list based on your recommendations (excluding schools in Cali and NYC because I have a ferret and they're not legal there :( ) :

Chicago
UPenn
Michigan
UVA
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
Northwestern
UT Austin
Emory
GWU
Vanderbilt
Not applying to NYC and California because you have a ferret of dumb.
Seems dumber to apply to schools I won't attend because I can't live in the area. Perhaps you're not a pet owner, but I briefly considered selling him or something if I were to get in and realized it would make me unhappy (not that I have to explain to you anyway).
I agree it's not a great reason not to apply. I go to school in California and my classmate has a ferret. Hasn't been an issue for her.
But just try to explain that away for C&F...

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:46 pm

I hate all 0Ls

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:04 am

First off, this is absolute gold. Second, how long do ferrets live? I hope 10 years from now you don't regret passing up on some great schools because of your ferret friend.

Live a little bit, and bring the ferret along for the ride.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:12 am

RaceJudicata wrote:First off, this is absolute gold. Second, how long do ferrets live? I hope 10 years from now you don't regret passing up on some great schools because of your ferret friend.

Live a little bit, and bring the ferret along for the ride.

LOL. I just read this thread and I can't believe what I am hearing. Forget the ferret, this is the rest of your life and future we're talking about. I understand what it is like to have an attachment to a pet that you've learned to love and care for, and I don't doubt your ferret makes you happy.

That said, the fact you are basing a decision of this order on a pet ferret is nothing short of asinine. As everyone already said there is no way anyone is going to find out if you are smart. A girl in my dorms freshman year hid having a kitten. Also throughout my time in undergrad I have known people to have all sort of pets. Birds, lizards, and even a puppy for a few weeks... Granted these aren't illegal in the state of NY where I attended UG, but they were certainly not aloud on campus. If it is that important to you, I suppose it would be worth the risk.

Is there a way a parent or friend can adopt your ferret while you're in school? You could visit it and perhaps re-adopt it when you're finished.

I just don't think it prudent to make decisions about what may easily be the most important decision of your life based on a pet. I don't condone breaking the law, but I think I'd be willing to make an exception with ferrets. Especially if you're going to pass up a better opportunity because of said ferret.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:30 am

Okay everyone, let's revisit the ferret topic ONE MORE TIME because you all apparently don't read.

1. Didn't ask any of you for an opinion on my ferret. As someone with a mood disorder, I could technically have one of those "therapy" dogs or something of the sort if I wanted to, but I chose to get a ferret instead. That being said, he still serves the same purpose as to keep me company and be my little cuddle buddy and all of that when my mood is where it doesn't need to be. Again, not that I need to explain to you all.

2. I have already stated I would add NYC schools to my list and possibly consider commuting, which would probably be cheaper anyway when it comes to housing. Cali schools, who knows. Maybe, maybe not. Even though I was born in Cali, I've never had a desire to return there so it's not tugging on my heart strings, though I have added USC on my list for (hopefully) negotiation purposes and am considering adding UCLA as well.

3. No, I don't have any friends I'd be willing to have him stay with (trust) while I'm in law school and my parents move around a lot and all of that so it's just not reasonable for them.

4. If you all want to give "advice" about how you feel about my opinion on keeping my ferret (that I didn't ask for), you're gonna do what you wanna do, but some of you are being .... assholes (can I say that? Well, I guess we'll find out) about it when it was never a topic of discussion I asked for input on to begin with. I asked for opinions on my chances based on the list I had concocted and was open and interested in suggestions on schools that should/shouldn't be on the list. I didn't ask for a bunch of snippy judgmental people to come in and comment on the fact that I don't want to rid of a pet I've had for several years (and will have for several more). Note: this (#4) isn't addressed to everyone who has made a remark regarding my ferret, but I would like to remind people that I came on here to get advice from others who have experienced applying or just happen to know more than I've managed to learn so far, not to get "slick" remarks from you all because you don't understand certain things about me. I've been very polite to all of you (sometimes against my natural instinct) so it's a bit ridiculous that some of you are being petty.

Another note: Thank you to everyone on the thread who has been kind/helpful in their responses and offered solutions/suggestions or information I wasn't aware of. I appreciate it!

Any other comments regarding the ferret thing won't be responded to.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:34 am

PrezRand wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Yeah, I looked at LSatreport a while ago. That was one of the reasons i asked in this thread. There are some T14 schools like Penn, Berkeley, and NU that I have considered applying to, but it does not seem like many people that go there come back to TX or even Cali to a lesser extent
Do you know of any lawyers in the area you want to practice in? Perhaps they could give you better insight on the schools that have a good job outlook for the area? I'm not familiar with either area so I'm not really sure if it would be better to stay local or what!

Dip

New

Post by Dip » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:46 pm

Mullens wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
T14orTradeSchool wrote:I think you should cast a wider net upwards. Maybe from CCN down, cost permitting. I say try to get as many fee waivers as possible. and apply to as many T14s as posisble. Numbers in your range are especially unpredictable for URMs, I think. Though I'd say you'd get at least a T14, just hard to tell which, which is why it's important to get a good spread.
So basically, you think I should apply to all T14 other than HYS and Columbia?

Also, regarding fee waivers, who exactly do I contact to request those? I'm not in dire need *but am in need! lol* so, based on the LSAC waiver description, I'm assuming I'd have to go straight to the schools. Do I just get in touch with the admissions office? Also, since it's super early, should I wait to request them until it's closer to the beginning of the cycle?

Thanks!
Once the application cycle starts, you will probably receive unprompted fee waivers from most of those schools. Make sure you have the settings/info on LSAC filled out that you agree to accept emails or whatever and with your approx stats + ethnicity. I think from the school end, they send out fee waivers to everyone over certain LSAT scores/GPAs so fill it out. If that doesn't happen before you're ready to fire your application off, just email admissions requesting a fee waiver and you're almost certain to get one.

I agree you should apply to Columbia and down. Remove everything below Vanderbilt from your list except the state schools in your state (and keep Howard if you so desire). People recommend blanketing because URM admissions tend to be more random and unpredictable. No point in missing out on the school that would've accepted you/given the best scholarship. Also helps later for scholarship negotiations purposes.
Could you expound on this? Law schools will offer unsolicited fee waivers?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:49 pm

Dip wrote:
Mullens wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
T14orTradeSchool wrote:I think you should cast a wider net upwards. Maybe from CCN down, cost permitting. I say try to get as many fee waivers as possible. and apply to as many T14s as posisble. Numbers in your range are especially unpredictable for URMs, I think. Though I'd say you'd get at least a T14, just hard to tell which, which is why it's important to get a good spread.

Also, regarding fee waivers, who exactly do I contact to request those? I'm not in dire need *but am in need! lol* so, based on the LSAC waiver description, I'm assuming I'd have to go straight to the schools. Do I just get in touch with the admissions office? Also, since it's super early, should I wait to request them until it's closer to the beginning of the cycle?

Thanks!
Once the application cycle starts, you will probably receive unprompted fee waivers from most of those schools. Make sure you have the settings/info on LSAC filled out that you agree to accept emails or whatever and with your approx stats + ethnicity. I think from the school end, they send out fee waivers to everyone over certain LSAT scores/GPAs so fill it out. If that doesn't happen before you're ready to fire your application off, just email admissions requesting a fee waiver and you're almost certain to get one.

Yeah I've gotten some emails offering fee waivers for a few schools already (not T14 yet though). Apparently it's a way for them to boost their app numbers so they can have a lower acceptance rate since people aren't applying to LS as much as they once did.

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Post by nyu2019maybeplease » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:41 pm

Last edited by nyu2019maybeplease on Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:45 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Dip wrote:
Mullens wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Thanks!

Yeah I've gotten some emails offering fee waivers for a few schools already (not T14 yet though). Apparently it's a way for them to boost their app numbers so they can have a lower acceptance rate since people aren't applying to LS as much as they once did.
If you don't mind me asking, what schools gave you a fee waiver?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:42 pm

PrezRand wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Dip wrote:
Mullens wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Thanks!

If you don't mind me asking, what schools gave you a fee waiver?
Mostly schools I have no interest in at this point. I've read T14s tend to wait until the cycle starts or is closer. I did get one from WUSTL though, and Miami

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:43 pm

nyu2019maybeplease wrote:David Guthartz call in. There has actually been a long-running battle over the status of ferrets in NYC.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... ocate.html
Well... He's a character lol. Interesting though.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”