Should I apply? Or wait... Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
icj103987

New

Should I apply? Or wait...

Post by icj103987 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:30 pm

Hello,

I am a senior at UT-Austin this upcoming year, deciding on if I should apply for law school this year, or continue on in schooling for another year post senior year and apply next year. I am a transfer student from a community college, so law schools would see about 66 credits from the CC and roughly 30 credits from UT-Austin up to this point. Also I have 3 W's from the Community college, because I was younger and stupid. Overall I have a great upward trend.

Stats:
CC GPA: 3.30/UT GPA 4.0/combined GPA is about a 3.51
LSAT: 172
4 LOR, 1 from CC, 2 from UT Austin, and 1 from congressman I interned for.
Softs: Nothing worth highlighting. Jobs throughout college, 1 internship for a local congressman, membership or officer position's in various student organizations on campus, Deans list as well as on campus honors program member.
URM: AA-Male

Overall, I just want to know if with my stats I have a solid chance at some T-14's this application season, or if I should postpone until next application season. Thanks.

pancakes3

Platinum

Re: Should I apply? Or wait...

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:37 pm

This season as in start school in the fall? It's pretty late in the game. The rules are bent for URMs but even then I don't see how you wouldn't do better by applying for the 2017-2018 school year. Scholly money is more or less accounted for and class sizes are more or less set.

Great LSAT though. I suppose you owe yourself a retake but I think you're sitting pretty for lots of money from T-14s. Start applying to jerbs and enjoy your gap year. There are worse things to do with your life than being a young professional with disposable income in Austin.

icj103987

New

Post by icj103987 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:57 pm

pancakes3 wrote:This season as in start school in the fall? It's pretty late in the game. The rules are bent for URMs but even then I don't see how you wouldn't do better by applying for the 2017-2018 school year. Scholly money is more or less accounted for and class sizes are more or less set.

Great LSAT though. I suppose you owe yourself a retake but I think you're sitting pretty for lots of money from T-14s. Start applying to jerbs and enjoy your gap year. There are worse things to do with your life than being a young professional with disposable income in Austin.
No, I meant applying when apps open up in the fall for 2017-2018 school year. Thank you for your input though; do you feel as though law schools might value a gap year with a job more or less than improving my GPA? I feel like my GPA is a little low, but I don't think it justifies spending another year in college for 15k, when I could be out making money.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:38 am

http://mylsn.info/r/pre-law/admissions/search/

sift through the admission numbers and see what your chances are. i think a 3.5/172 makes you pretty competitive to anywhere up to and including harvard. i remember reading on here anecdotally that the number of AA 170+ scorers nationwide is double-digits.

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:43 am

Last edited by texcellence on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

icj103987

New

Post by icj103987 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:25 pm

Thank y'all for your inputs! I believe I will go ahead and apply for the 2017-2018 school year and see how it goes; if it works out then great, if not then I will go ahead and enter the workforce for a little bit and gain some more experience.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”