PS vs. Diversity Statement Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mm89

New

PS vs. Diversity Statement

Post by mm89 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:42 am

What did you guys write about for your personal statement? I feel like what I want to say will end up being a diversity statement, not a ps. I just have no clue what to talk about. Every essay I have written is complete bs. Any suggestions?

Budfox55

Bronze

Re: PS vs. Diversity Statement

Post by Budfox55 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:08 pm

mm89 wrote:What did you guys write about for your personal statement? I feel like what I want to say will end up being a diversity statement, not a ps. I just have no clue what to talk about. Every essay I have written is complete bs. Any suggestions?
If you discuss race in your PS, you don't necessarily have to write a DS. There have been people who wrote a race-based PS and didn't write a DS and ended up doing fine.

As for me personally, I stripped away race from my PS as I felt that I could tell my story without it, and then I could talk about racial issues in another topic. I come from a low socioeconomic background, so I touched upon that and how that influenced my motivations for law school. If you look at my resume and past experiences, you would see everything pointing to a different career path so I thought it was very important for me to convey "why law" for my specific situation. I ended up being right. In one of the interviews that I had with a certain school, the only thing the dean of admissions had seen beforehand concerning my app was my resume and the first she said was, "Well why law school? When I look at your resume what jumps out to me is business school"

I then used my DS to touch upon some race-based issues and how it has affected me and how those experiences could help me make a contribution to the law school community.

I think the most important thing is to be personal and make sure to tell YOUR story. If you do some research, you'll hear every admissions officer mention that they want to be able to hear your voice through your writing. This is what they mean. Everyone is a snowflake in their own way, so use this opportunity to utilize your individuality.

Hope this helps!

mm89

New

Re: PS vs. Diversity Statement

Post by mm89 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:20 am

Thank you! I think I just need to strip away the race from my writing like you said and focus on my story more.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”