What race do I put down????? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
cheesusprice

New

What race do I put down?????

Post by cheesusprice » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:55 am

Hi everyone!

I've tried to find something addressing my issue, but only found one small post.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread, since I'm not really a URM. I am Latina, but do not fall into the URM categories. I do have a question about what race to put down. I've always considered myself to be a mixed race person that looks mostly white, think America Ferrera with curly hair and pale skin. I've always identified with being part black and spoken about it often with my friends, though some of them have told me before that I should try to stop "being black" since I don't look it. I think that for the census my mother just left it as white and my college application I can't remember at all really. Plus, there were other issues going on messing with my mind at the time, particularly about my friends who didn't understand the concept of hispanic not being a race and because we're always pushed to identify, at least officially, as whiter than we really are.

Both of my parents are racially mixed as well, but they look it. My mom has light-tan skin and a larger nose. My father has dark tan skin with finer features. They both identify as mulattos (I know the term is offensive here, but in my culture it's not). Everyone in my family sees me as white mixed girl, my nickname as kid was even "negra" (black), my heritage is probably about 1/4 African. But I feel odd saying I'm black or part black.

TL;DR I look white-ish but identify as mixed race. Is it offensive to claim I am mixed race on my applications or is it something I can do because I am comfortable with it now and do identify with being part black.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: What race do I put down?????

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:08 am

You put down whatever you identify with. The form aren't asking for what you look like, but how you identify. So there's no problem with checking mixed race, or black as well as white and also Hispanic. (I don't remember what the forms actually say.)

cheesusprice

New

Post by cheesusprice » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:34 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:You put down whatever you identify with. The form aren't asking for what you look like, but how you identify. So there's no problem with checking mixed race, or black as well as white and also Hispanic. (I don't remember what the forms actually say.)
I just saw your post on another thread and thought your username was clever. I just have the fear I'll get accused of trying to be something that I'm not.

Thanks!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:49 am

Adcomms aren't going to do that, and they're the only ones who will know what boxes you checked.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:24 am

I think a good rule of thumb is that, if you need to ask whether you should check the box, its almost certainly not how you genuinely self-identify. But if you are the exception to this rule, and are honestly torn regarding your self-identity, then absolutely check both. If its the honest answer, then its the honest answer and no one is going to question you or say you are "wrong" for checking both black and white (and how you look isn't going to be a factor). There are tons of hispanic people of mixed racial heritage so it wouldn't be at all uncommon to self-identify with both.

cheesusprice

New

Post by cheesusprice » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:26 pm

kaiser wrote:I think a good rule of thumb is that, if you need to ask whether you should check the box, its almost certainly not how you genuinely self-identify. But if you are the exception to this rule, and are honestly torn regarding your self-identity, then absolutely check both. If its the honest answer, then its the honest answer and no one is going to question you or say you are "wrong" for checking both black and white (and how you look isn't going to be a factor). There are tons of hispanic people of mixed racial heritage so it wouldn't be at all uncommon to self-identify with both.
Yeah....I was expecting someone to say that. It's not that I don't identify with it, I do. It's just a complex issue, we're always pushed to be whiter because it's "better". ( I had one fellow hispanic boyfriend refuse to introduce me to his "whiter" grandparents because he said they'd judge me for being "too black").

I'm proud of my heritage. But, I try not to mention it to some people because of the superiority complexes that could cause.

If I went by the one drop-rule, I'd easily qualify (I don't like that rule though). Both my grandmothers are bi-racial.

I think what's most weighing on me is that I'm not African American, I'm not part of that culture, but I am part of the black race.

I hate all this categorization that has to go on *cue hipster spiel*.
Last edited by cheesusprice on Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:45 pm

cheesusprice wrote:
kaiser wrote:I think a good rule of thumb is that, if you need to ask whether you should check the box, its almost certainly not how you genuinely self-identify. But if you are the exception to this rule, and are honestly torn regarding your self-identity, then absolutely check both. If its the honest answer, then its the honest answer and no one is going to question you or say you are "wrong" for checking both black and white (and how you look isn't going to be a factor). There are tons of hispanic people of mixed racial heritage so it wouldn't be at all uncommon to self-identify with both.
Yeah....I was expecting someone to say that. It's not that I don't identify with it, I do. It's just a complex issue, we're always pushed to be whiter because it's "better". ( I had one fellow hispanic boyfriend refuse to introduce me to his "whiter" grandparents because he said they'd judge me for being "too black").

I'm proud of my heritage and do talk about it with my friends. But, I try not to mention it to some people because of the superiority complexes that could cause. Both my parents look mixed, particularly my father. But my skin is so pale (not that pale, just light colored), it just feels like maybe I'm insulting someone because I'm saying I'm part black.

If I went by the one drop-rule, I'd easily qualify (I don't like that rule though). Both my grandmothers are bi-racial. My family is kinda like Wentworth Miller's family, we're all mixed, but some of us are blonde and light-eyed and others are very tan and kinky-haired.

People generally have a hard time pinpointing my ethnicity/race.
Again, if you are truly torn regarding your self-identity, then check both. If its the honest answer, then its the honest answer and there is nothing else to it. You aren't insulting anyone because of how you self-identify so long as its genuine.

bellanoche2019

New

Post by bellanoche2019 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:47 pm

cheesusprice wrote:

I'm proud of my heritage and do talk about it with my friends. But, I try not to mention it to some people because of the superiority complexes that could cause. Both my parents look mixed, particularly my father. But my skin is so pale (not that pale, just light colored), it just feels like maybe I'm insulting someone because I'm saying I'm part black.

If I went by the one drop-rule, I'd easily qualify (I don't like that rule though). Both my grandmothers are bi-racial. My family is kinda like Wentworth Miller's family, we're all mixed, but some of us are blonde and light-eyed and others are very tan and kinky-haired.

People generally have a hard time pinpointing my ethnicity/race.
If you have significant roots as a PoC (and it sounds like you do) and you identify as such, then I would ID as a URM

mindatwork

New

Post by mindatwork » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:51 pm

I think this is a fair question. I'm in a very similar situation; I'm mixed (white/black/hispanic/MA) and have a relatively fair complexion. Similar to you, I've often had a hard time 'categorizing' myself racially, because I've always felt too white for my black family, too black for my hispanic/latino family, etc. etc. (hashtag typical mixed-kids problems).

But the nice thing about law school application is that you're not asked to limit yourself to one category - which was often the case for me on standardized testing in elementary/middle school (aka the years before 'check all that apply' or even 'mixed-race'). If you have a legitimate claim on a particular heritage, I don't think there's anything duplicitous in marking down all races/ethnicies that apply to you.

Colorism/privilege that comes from colorism is a legitimate issue that I don't think is addressed enough within the latin@/mixed-race/white-passing community, but that's not the case here. If I were you (and I am extremely similar to you, I think) I'd check all the boxes on your application that you have claimable ancestry in (in this case, white, black, latin).

cheesusprice

New

Post by cheesusprice » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:55 pm

mindatwork wrote:I think this is a fair question. I'm in a very similar situation; I'm mixed (white/black/hispanic/MA) and have a relatively fair complexion. Similar to you, I've often had a hard time 'categorizing' myself racially, because I've always felt too white for my black family, too black for my hispanic/latino family, etc. etc. (hashtag typical mixed-kids problems).

But the nice thing about law school application is that you're not asked to limit yourself to one category - which was often the case for me on standardized testing in elementary/middle school (aka the years before 'check all that apply' or even 'mixed-race'). If you have a legitimate claim on a particular heritage, I don't think there's anything duplicitous in marking down all races/ethnicies that apply to you.

Colorism/privilege that comes from colorism is a legitimate issue that I don't think is addressed enough within the latin@/mixed-race/white-passing community, but that's not the case here. If I were you (and I am extremely similar to you, I think) I'd check all the boxes on your application that you have claimable ancestry in (in this case, white, black, latin).

Glad to know I'm not the only one! Honestly, when I was on the LSAC website I immediately clicked on latino, black, european without thinking about it. Then I found this forum and saw people complaining about people trying to "pass" for one minority or another and it just freaked me out that someone might think I'm being dishonest. I really really really hate lying, but I'd be lying about who I am just because of what I look like.

I think it's hard for non-mixed people/non-hispanic people to understand the racism that can exist with an ethnicity and the prejudice a lot of the older generations have inculcated into our brains, many times against ourselves. It's such a complex issue. Bright side: watching everyone struggle to guess your race/where you're from, especially when they try to rationalize their guesses. <---- only funny when drunk people do it.

mindatwork

New

Post by mindatwork » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:54 pm

cheesusprice wrote:
mindatwork wrote:I think this is a fair question. I'm in a very similar situation; I'm mixed (white/black/hispanic/MA) and have a relatively fair complexion. Similar to you, I've often had a hard time 'categorizing' myself racially, because I've always felt too white for my black family, too black for my hispanic/latino family, etc. etc. (hashtag typical mixed-kids problems).

Glad to know I'm not the only one! Honestly, when I was on the LSAC website I immediately clicked on latino, black, european without thinking about it. Then I found this forum and saw people complaining about people trying to "pass" for one minority or another and it just freaked me out that someone might think I'm being dishonest. I really really really hate lying, but I'd be lying about who I am just because of what I look like.

I think it's hard for non-mixed people/non-hispanic people to understand the racism that can exist with an ethnicity and the prejudice a lot of the older generations have inculcated into our brains, many times against ourselves. It's such a complex issue. Bright side: watching everyone struggle to guess your race/where you're from, especially when they try to rationalize their guesses. <---- only funny when drunk people do it.
Definitely not the only one! I've never read the forum you're talking about, but I'd assume those people are complaining about people who a) have never identified as an "URM" ethnicity until applying for law school and/or b) who have a distant (think great-great-grandparent) relative that was a person of color. Which is a frustration I can understand - even if you can claim URM under the one-drop rule, if you've never identified as an URM until law school applications it does strike me as dishonest.

But that's not the case in your situation, so I wouldn't worry.

(And lord, if I had a dollar for each time someone said 'you can't be [insert ethnicity/race here] because you're too [insert arbitrary qualification here]' I could pay for law school.)

unsweetened

Silver

Post by unsweetened » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:04 pm

If you identify a particular way in good faith, I don't think there is anything wrong with identifying yourself in such a manner. mindatwork puts it very well.

cheesusprice

New

Post by cheesusprice » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:13 pm

mindatwork wrote:
cheesusprice wrote:

Definitely not the only one! I've never read the forum you're talking about, but I'd assume those people are complaining about people who a) have never identified as an "URM" ethnicity until applying for law school and/or b) who have a distant (think great-great-grandparent) relative that was a person of color. Which is a frustration I can understand - even if you can claim URM under the one-drop rule, if you've never identified as an URM until law school applications it does strike me as dishonest.

(And lord, if I had a dollar for each time someone said 'you can't be [insert ethnicity/race here] because you're too [insert arbitrary qualification here]' I could pay for law school.)
Yeah those are the type of people they mostly complained about. I feel completely justified in writing down my races now.

Everyone turns into a physical anthropologist the second they can't figure out where you're from. It's sad when it gets slightly racist and they have a quizzical look on their face throughout the interaction. Mixed people problems.

cheesusprice

New

Post by cheesusprice » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:14 pm

mindatwork wrote:
cheesusprice wrote:

Yeah those are the type of people they mostly complained about. I feel completely justified in writing down my races now.

Everyone turns into a physical anthropologist the second they can't figure out where you're from. It's sad when it gets slightly racist and they have a quizzical look on their face throughout the interaction. Ohhh, Mixed people problems.

cheesusprice

New

Post by cheesusprice » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:17 pm

unsweetened wrote:If you identify a particular way in good faith, I don't think there is anything wrong with identifying yourself in such a manner. mindatwork puts it very well.
Agreed, if it's all done in truth and good faith I think should have no issues. Thanks!

oreomilkshake

New

Post by oreomilkshake » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:17 am

I struggled with how to most accurately convey my multiracial identity via checkboxes as well. It seems like you've already come to a conclusion but while I was filling out my apps I read these articles/publications and found them interesting and wanted to share :)

Multiracial Identity and Affirmative Action
On College Forms, A Question of Race, or Races, Can Perplex
Mixed-Race Students Wonder How Many Boxes to Check

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:32 am

you put down whatever will enhance your career and admission chances without lying

cheesusprice

New

Post by cheesusprice » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:26 pm

Thanks everyone!

Oooooh I'll take a look at those links, I love reading articles about this subject.
:D

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:46 pm

El Pollito wrote:you put down whatever will enhance your career and admission chances without lying
This.

I'd assume those people are complaining about people who a) have never identified as an "URM" ethnicity until applying for law school
The thing is, the application doesn't ask if you are a "URM" ... it asks what you identify as. I think sometimes the hesitation to put a certain race, if you look white, is a feeling that you can't identify with a group unless it has put you at a disadvantage and/or affects your daily life. There's no question the system has flaws (a previous posted mentioned "colorism" which is apt since your color is generally what affects how you are treated), but, as an applicant, it's not your job to be thinking about the "system" or all the implications of your answer. Just give a truthful answer (within reason ... saying you're NA if your G-G-Gmother was a Cherokee Indian is definitely pushing it).

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:53 pm

cbbinnyc wrote:
El Pollito wrote:you put down whatever will enhance your career and admission chances without lying
This.

I'd assume those people are complaining about people who a) have never identified as an "URM" ethnicity until applying for law school
The thing, the application doesn't ask if you are a "URM" ... it asks what you identify as. I think sometimes the hesitation to put a certain race, if you look white, is a feeling that you can't identify with a group unless it has put you at a disadvantage and/or affects your daily life. There's no question the system has flaws (a previous posted mentioned "colorism" which is apt since your color is generally what affects how you are treated), but, as an applicant, it's not your job to be thinking about the "system" or all the implications of your answer. Just give a truthful answer (within reason ... saying you're NA if your G-G-Gmother was a Cherokee Indian is definitely pushing it).
Almost as if to point out the absurdity of this whole race thing, NA is the one race where there is a well documented objective test for affiliation. I actually think you count if your G-G-Gmother was a Cherokee, as long as you've registered as such.

Definitely want to second the suggestions on here that you check the racial/ethnic categories that feel right for you. No one knows better than you what you identify with and irrespective of whether or not you've experienced the hardships/disadvantages that others would expect to come with identifying as whatever you identify as, your lens on the world is going to be colored by how you see yourself.

Anyone who cynically chooses a URM category on a law school application just to gain an admissions advantage will eventually see that kind of thing catch up with them.

jrass

Bronze

Post by jrass » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:57 pm

The Indy 500 is probably the best selection. In these kinds of situations, many people might advocate Daytona, but Indy tends to be the race where relatively unknowns break through and give great payoffs.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:31 pm

No, I'm sorry, don't do what feels right. Do what is best for your future.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:28 pm

jrass wrote:The Indy 500 is probably the best selection. In these kinds of situations, many people might advocate Daytona, but Indy tends to be the race where relatively unknowns break through and give great payoffs.
I enjoyed this.

cheesusprice

New

Post by cheesusprice » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:31 pm

fliptrip wrote:
jrass wrote:The Indy 500 is probably the best selection. In these kinds of situations, many people might advocate Daytona, but Indy tends to be the race where relatively unknowns break through and give great payoffs.
I enjoyed this.

I also enjoyed this!

cheesusprice

New

Post by cheesusprice » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:36 pm

fliptrip wrote:
cbbinnyc wrote:
This.

The thing, the application doesn't ask if you are a "URM" ... it asks what you identify as. I think sometimes the hesitation to put a certain race, if you look white, is a feeling that you can't identify with a group unless it has put you at a disadvantage and/or affects your daily life. There's no question the system has flaws (a previous posted mentioned "colorism" which is apt since your color is generally what affects how you are treated), but, as an applicant, it's not your job to be thinking about the "system" or all the implications of your answer. Just give a truthful answer (within reason ... saying you're NA if your G-G-Gmother was a Cherokee Indian is definitely pushing it).
Almost as if to point out the absurdity of this whole race thing, NA is the one race where there is a well documented objective test for affiliation. I actually think you count if your G-G-Gmother was a Cherokee, as long as you've registered as such.

Definitely want to second the suggestions on here that you check the racial/ethnic categories that feel right for you. No one knows better than you what you identify with and irrespective of whether or not you've experienced the hardships/disadvantages that others would expect to come with identifying as whatever you identify as, your lens on the world is going to be colored by how you see yourself.

Anyone who cynically chooses a URM category on a law school application just to gain an admissions advantage will eventually see that kind of thing catch up with them.

Whenever I have come across someone that is multicultural/multiracial I have always thought that they should identify with all sides of themselves, regardless of how the world may see them. It's funny that when the tables are turned and it's your turn to identify you second-guess and question yourself because of all the outside influences.

It's also odd to explain your entire family history when someone asks you why you're X when you look like Y. But those are just nosy Norberts (swear I'm not a 55 year old soccer mom/cat lady).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”