Advice Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Iam3hunna

Bronze

Advice

Post by Iam3hunna » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:09 pm

Last edited by Iam3hunna on Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

AshburtonGrove

New

Re: Advice

Post by AshburtonGrove » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:13 pm

Call me an optimist, but I really don't think all hope is lost on your end. At all. You have a great GPA, you're the the most in demand URM, and you've identified why you missed so many on LG. If you retake in December and get to 164, I'd give you a very decent shot at snagging at least one of CCN. Scholarship money may be a different issue, of course. If you register for December, you can still apply before you take the test, and they'll just wait to review your app until then. Just be sure to indicate it on your apps. Now whether or not you can get up to a 164 is a separate issue. -11 on LG is about 5 points (I haven't seen the curve tbh), but I'm also assuming that, at most, your one mistake was only responsible for 5 wrong answers. So obviously you have some work to do in the next couple of months, but nothing is impossible! And even if you only improved to, say, a 161, you'd still probably get into a lower t14 w/o money, which isn't ideal but an improvement nonetheless.

Iam3hunna

Bronze

Post by Iam3hunna » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:04 pm

AshburtonGrove wrote:Call me an optimist, but I really don't think all hope is lost on your end. At all. You have a great GPA, you're the the most in demand URM, and you've identified why you missed so many on LG. If you retake in December and get to 164, I'd give you a very decent shot at snagging at least one of CCN. Scholarship money may be a different issue, of course. If you register for December, you can still apply before you take the test, and they'll just wait to review your app until then. Just be sure to indicate it on your apps. Now whether or not you can get up to a 164 is a separate issue. -11 on LG is about 5 points (I haven't seen the curve tbh), but I'm also assuming that, at most, your one mistake was only responsible for 5 wrong answers. So obviously you have some work to do in the next couple of months, but nothing is impossible! And even if you only improved to, say, a 161, you'd still probably get into a lower t14 w/o money, which isn't ideal but an improvement nonetheless.

Lol I appreciate the optimism. Was very upset about the whole thing. The most i've ever gone in games is about -4. I'm just going to have to make sure that BS doesn't happen again. I don't want to waste my good Gpa. Thanks for the advice man!

chueca910

New

Post by chueca910 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:56 pm

I'm going to be the pessimist here and say that December/January might be too late and it's also likely that you'll get a bunch of waitlists and like the above poster said MAYBE 1 or 2 acceptances with no money.

Obviously this is just my opinion without too much hardcore evidence. You're gpa is indeed great but applying late with a 164 (that you haven't gotten yet) is still a gamble.

Here are how people did with your numbers: http://mylsn.info/h4iirh/

You never know until you try but if you do still intend on applying maybe speak to admission officers and see where you stand.

Iam3hunna

Bronze

Post by Iam3hunna » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:06 pm

Last edited by Iam3hunna on Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

velvet-lou

Silver

Post removed...

Post by velvet-lou » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:26 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by velvet-lou on Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

chueca910

New

Post by chueca910 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:15 pm

Iam3hunna wrote:
chueca910 wrote:I'm going to be the pessimist here and say that December/January might be too late and it's also likely that you'll get a bunch of waitlists and like the above poster said MAYBE 1 or 2 acceptances with no money.

Obviously this is just my opinion without too much hardcore evidence. You're gpa is indeed great but applying late with a 164 (that you haven't gotten yet) is still a gamble.

Here are how people did with your numbers: http://mylsn.info/h4iirh/

You never know until you try but if you do still intend on applying maybe speak to admission officers and see where you stand.

I understand what you're saying. I was told however, that due to the decrease in applications the december should be ok. Not sure how concrete this is nonetheless. I looked at the link though. Hard to draw any conclusions with such a small sample size (like two people).
Yeah exactly, everything that we (tls) tell you or that you hear from other people is going to be anecdotal/unrepresentative evidence so honestly you'll never unless you apply and see what happens. But best of luck!

TheodoreKGB

Bronze

Post by TheodoreKGB » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:23 pm

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trippel

Bronze

Post by Trippel » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:30 pm

TheodoreKGB wrote:Early January is most definitely not too late.

Even if it were "late" in the cycle, applying with a score many points higher is worth waiting to submit.
This is absolutely 100% correct.

I don't understand where all of this "December/January is too late to apply" crap is coming from. Applying right after the December LSAT is on time and November is early. A higher score is ALWAYS preferable to applying in November.
Last edited by Trippel on Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iam3hunna

Bronze

Post by Iam3hunna » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:23 pm

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”