AA application guidance Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
nineteen

New

AA application guidance

Post by nineteen » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:04 pm

Some things: AA, 16X & 3.X, top 10 undergrad, solid work experience.

The people writing my recs are highlighting important qualities that I could bring to the table that aren't really reflected in my numbers or anywhere else in my application, which is nice. I feel really good about my personal statement.

I have a feeling that I'm probably out at HYS just based on my numbers, but I'd love to get feedback on what my chances might be at CCN and other T14 schools. Should I submit my apps now or risk it and retake in December?

Thanks!
Last edited by nineteen on Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

AshburtonGrove

New

Re: AA application guidance

Post by AshburtonGrove » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:12 am

Hi there, OL so take my input with a heavy grain of salt. I think you would probably get a few decent offers from t14 schools. YHS are probably all out because of GPA. If you think you can improve the LSAT by even a point or two with the december test, it's worth taking IMO, but if you think you've maxed out, take advantage of applying early. You can still submit your apps while telling them that you plan on retaking in December and they'll likely hold your app until the scores come in. If I had to guess right now, as things stand with a 165 and 3.3, you'd get into most of the lower t14, with a shot at NYU and Columbia, but certain schools that value GPA a bit more (like Berkeley, UChi, and Penn) may be a stretch. I found a handful of profiles on LSN that are similar-ish to yours that may give you an idea of what is a realistic aim.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jcan91
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/hope14
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blackjackjr
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/LSH91

Talarose

Bronze

Post by Talarose » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:38 am

Agreed. I think HYS are out but CCN could happen. Anything below you're for sure in. Again, the LSAT is key. So like Ashburtongrove said, if you are PTing higher now or you plan to buckle down and study until December, I would hold off. Because those couple extra points could get you H. Otherwise, submit now! All depends on where you are with the LSAT.

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:37 am

An AA with a 165 should keep their fingers crossed and apply everywhere. I haven't run your stats through mylsn, but the profiles posted above are mostly for people going straight through, but you have work experience. That can change a school like H's opinion of whether or not you're ready for the big time.

For HYS, I'm not sure it makes a difference to wait till after your December score comes out to apply; it's not like they're going to reject you before they see that Dec. score. Hard to see the harm in applying now, though I doubt there's much advantage either. I would probably just apply now to get this process going. Maybe ask spivey.

180kickflip

Bronze

Post by 180kickflip » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:04 am

YS are probably out unless you're above their LSAT medians. H is probably out unless you hit 170. CCN is a 50/50 shot with a 165/3.3, but with the $ they'll give for those #s, it's almost definitely not worth going. UVA, B, Duke, Penn are in play (as long as you write why essays or can otherwise convince them you're a good fit/ not a yield risk). MCNG are probably your best bets (IMO)...your numbers will get you in to most of them, and they'll probably offer way more $ than the schools above.

Anything can happen, but I have a similar GPA, and this is how I've been seeing things shake out for people with out numbers the last few years.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”