URM 2015-2016 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

You would turn down YSH for...(choose up to 4)

Hamilton @ CLS
21%
Ruby @ Chicago
15%
AnBryce/RTK @ NYU
13%
Levy @ Penn (LOL, no URM in history has ever gotten one)
6%
Dillard/Darrow/Full Scholarship @ UVA/Mich/Berk
12%
Mordecai/Full Scholly/Hughes/Full Scholly @ Duke/NW/Cornell/GULC
11%
Full @ Texas/UCLA/Vandy
5%
F* that dude...literally nothing could keep me from YSH. Debt be damned!
17%

Total votes: 219

ih8makingscreennames

Bronze

Re: URM 2015-2016 Cycle Thread

Post by ih8makingscreennames » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:42 pm

fliptrip wrote:
ih8makingscreennames wrote:
BillClinton Jr wrote:When is everybody planning on making decisions? Luckily, I don't have seat deposit deadlines until 4/22 and 5/1
I have to make a prelim decision next week (but I pretty much know how that's gonna go I think), secondary decision by April 15th, and tertiary if need be by the 21st. All scholly deadlines.
I am impressed that you seem to have formed a bureaucracy in your own mind, lol. Will the secondary or tertiary decisions have to be approved by the preliminary committee or the committee of the whole?
Each decision is an over and done. It is impossible to revert the primary decision during secondary or tertiary processes. I fluctuate between thinking it doesn't really matter and that this is the biggest decision of my life.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:44 pm

Oh it's important, for sure. Are you on the cusp of potentially ruining your life? Probably not.

Deciding whether or not to let a drunk friend take the wheel and drive you home would be closer to a potentially life-ruining decision.

Lapp03

New

Post by Lapp03 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:07 am

jnwa wrote:
Lapp03 wrote:Hey guys! I have a quick question I’m hoping you can help me with.

I am an international, Black, LGBT, female applicant applying in the next cycle. I read somewhere on a different thread that non-American Black applicants do not get the same URM boost as African-American applicants. Do you know if this is actually the case and would I get any kind of URM boost?

Thanks in advance! :D
Same boost...black Canadian here
Cool, thanks for the response!

Good luck with the rest of your cycle, this thread is crazy motivational

180kickflip

Bronze

Post by 180kickflip » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:16 am

Wasn't able to get into my dream school, but after 3+ years of TLSing and 2 application cycles, I might finally be going to law school. If I go, it'll be on good terms, but, I'm still shyting myself lol

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:20 pm

Hi, checking in!

Applied late in the cycle. atm i've been dinged at Berkeley and Penn, WL at Texas. Waiting to hear from 12 other schools :shock: Looks like I'll be spending my weekend figuring out an LSAT prep schedule for the summer...

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:21 pm

texcellence wrote:Hi, checking in!

Applied late in the cycle. atm i've been dinged at Berkeley and Penn, WL at Texas. Waiting to hear from 12 other schools :shock: Looks like I'll be spending my weekend figuring out an LSAT prep schedule for the summer...
Don't stress it. The LSAT can be conquered and you deserve credit for having the discipline to not go if you don't have a good option.

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:29 pm

fliptrip wrote:
texcellence wrote:Hi, checking in!

Don't stress it. The LSAT can be conquered and you deserve credit for having the discipline to not go if you don't have a good option.
Thanks for the kind words, flip. I really think it's best not to waste my high GPA bc I know I'm capable of T6! But bc I currently work in biglaw, it's really tough to carve out meaningful study time/not put so much pressure that I choke on my own anxiety at the actual test sitting, which is what happened in December. We'll see.

MixtapeFellThrough

New

Post by MixtapeFellThrough » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:46 pm

Update:

In @ Duke, Gtown, Columbia (as of yesterday), and Stanford as of ~10 minutes ago (!!!!)

WL @ Penn and Michigan (withdrawing from both)

Still pending @ Chicago, Harvard, and Yale

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:47 pm

MixtapeFellThrough wrote:Update:

In @ Duke, Gtown, Columbia (as of yesterday), and Stanford as of ~10 minutes ago (!!!!)

Congrats!!!!!!!!

Join me in paradise, friend.

MixtapeFellThrough

New

Post by MixtapeFellThrough » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:48 pm

fliptrip wrote:

Congrats!!!!!!!!

If I'm being real I 100% made that post just to tell you the SLS news, flip.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:53 pm

MixtapeFellThrough wrote:
fliptrip wrote:

Congrats!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!! I encourage others to post solely in interests of pleasing me. I love to hear about:

1. acceptances at SLS
2. acceptances at schools that are not SLS
3. impending marriages
4. impending divorces
5. new dogs
6. old dogs
7. bad dates
8. good shows to watch on Netflix.

TIA!

MarshallMarshal

New

Post by MarshallMarshal » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:54 pm

Stanford URM ASW meet up?

Iam3hunna

Bronze

Post by Iam3hunna » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:23 pm

Congrats on Stanford!

MixtapeFellThrough

New

Post by MixtapeFellThrough » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:41 pm

MarshallMarshal wrote:Stanford URM ASW meet up?
Absolutely. Hopefully by that time I'll no longer be in shock.

condensation

New

Post by condensation » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:18 pm

MarshallMarshal wrote:Stanford URM ASW meet up?
Yes yes yes

ih8makingscreennames

Bronze

Post by ih8makingscreennames » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:24 pm

fliptrip wrote:
MixtapeFellThrough wrote:
fliptrip wrote:

Congrats!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!! I encourage others to post solely in interests of pleasing me. I love to hear about:

1. acceptances at SLS
2. acceptances at schools that are not SLS
3. impending marriages
4. impending divorces
5. new dogs
6. old dogs
7. bad dates
8. good shows to watch on Netflix.

TIA!
The important things in life. You should def move that up for 3, and bad dates should appear before anything to do with a dog.

Nolachicken

Bronze

Post by Nolachicken » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:25 pm

Is anyone going to UCLA's diversity weekend coming up?

lawandorder2019

Bronze

Post by lawandorder2019 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:21 pm

Nolachicken wrote:Is anyone going to UCLA's diversity weekend coming up?
Yes! I'm super excited, especially since I've never been to Cali before!

lawyergirl94

New

Post by lawyergirl94 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:20 am

I've been accepted to quite a few schools, but am deciding between USC (bumped up from 60k to 75k) & UVA (60k). I am strongly leaning towards USC because I want to go into entertainment law (not really gung ho on big law) & with California as the place I want to ultimately end up, as a person with NO ties to the state or even the region, I feel that USC is the best choice. I am considering UVA primarily because of the combination of money & rank. I visited the school & while I loved it, I wasn't too thrilled with Charlottesville or even the DMV area as a whole.

As I mentioned before, USC has already bumped me from 60 to 75k. I am not visiting USC until April 15, which is when all deposits are due, with the exception of USC (due the 17th). I am considering submitting multiple deposits (UVA and USC) in an effort to get at least 90k from USC. Is this a common practice? Will the money from UVA be considered anymore by USC since they have already exceeded that?

Also, although I am not considering Emory Law School, they are (or were) higher ranked than USC & are offering me more money (84k). So feel like I have the most leverage by using them and am also considering submitting a deposit to them. Do schools take into consideration new USNWR ranks?

ih8makingscreennames

Bronze

Post by ih8makingscreennames » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:36 am

lawyergirl94 wrote:I've been accepted to quite a few schools, but am deciding between USC (bumped up from 60k to 75k) & UVA (60k). I am strongly leaning towards USC because I want to go into entertainment law (not really gung ho on big law) & with California as the place I want to ultimately end up, as a person with NO ties to the state or even the region, I feel that USC is the best choice. I am considering UVA primarily because of the combination of money & rank. I visited the school & while I loved it, I wasn't too thrilled with Charlottesville or even the DMV area as a whole.

As I mentioned before, USC has already bumped me from 60 to 75k. I am not visiting USC until April 15, which is when all deposits are due, with the exception of USC (due the 17th). I am considering submitting multiple deposits (UVA and USC) in an effort to get at least 90k from USC. Is this a common practice? Will the money from UVA be considered anymore by USC since they have already exceeded that?

Also, although I am not considering Emory Law School, they are (or were) higher ranked than USC & are offering me more money (84k). So feel like I have the most leverage by using them and am also considering submitting a deposit to them. Do schools take into consideration new USNWR ranks?
Rightfully so. I have no thoughts on entertainment law as I've been told it's not even a real thing. Cali might be your best shot to try and build some industry connections, but again, I don't really have any thoughts on that.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:41 am

lawyergirl94 wrote:I've been accepted to quite a few schools, but am deciding between USC (bumped up from 60k to 75k) & UVA (60k). I am strongly leaning towards USC because I want to go into entertainment law (not really gung ho on big law) & with California as the place I want to ultimately end up, as a person with NO ties to the state or even the region, I feel that USC is the best choice. I am considering UVA primarily because of the combination of money & rank. I visited the school & while I loved it, I wasn't too thrilled with Charlottesville or even the DMV area as a whole.

Leverage depends, and it's not necessarily easy to see with USNWR rankings. For instance, UCLA has way more leverage on USC and vice versa than Emory or Vanderbilt do. UVA is in a different league from Emory and Vanderbilt, so you should have a better shot using them to get USC to budge.

There's nothing wrong with submitting multiple seat deposits if you need to to buy yourself time.

Nolachicken

Bronze

Post by Nolachicken » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:02 pm

lawandorder2019 wrote:
Nolachicken wrote:Is anyone going to UCLA's diversity weekend coming up?
Yes! I'm super excited, especially since I've never been to Cali before!
Cool! Maybe I'll see you there. I didn't realize we were sharing rooms until yesterday. I'm a little worried :/

beckett

New

Post by beckett » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:31 pm

Rightfully so. I have no thoughts on entertainment law as I've been told it's not even a real thing. Cali might be your best shot to try and build some industry connections, but again, I don't really have any thoughts on that.
Chiming in to say that entertainment law is very real, unlike 'sports' law. I can't speak on negotiating, but I work in the entertainment industry and with a lot of attorneys who rep talent and work for studios and production companies. If you're really serious about entertainment, I would undoubtedly go to USC if the above schools are your only option. I'm not sure exactly what you want to do within entertainment law, but a lot of what I do is only based in Los Angeles, with a very very (very) small percentage based in NYC. Additionally, the market is just so incredibly oversaturated right now. I can't stress the enough. So, and I'm speaking from what I've seen and dealt with personally, but unless you go to a T3 AND are a rockstar, the best way to land a job is by networking and hustling from day one. Can you land an entertainment job from UVA? I'm sure you can, especially if you already have connections. But you're going to have a lot more opportunities if you're already in Los Angeles.

Again, I'm going to stress that I don't know exactly what you want to do. For example, I rarely deal with the music industry. I know nothing about that market. And if you have the connections to entertainment already, that makes this a whole different ballgame.

lawyergirl94

New

Post by lawyergirl94 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:15 pm

beckett wrote:

Chiming in to say that entertainment law is very real, unlike 'sports' law. I can't speak on negotiating, but I work in the entertainment industry and with a lot of attorneys who rep talent and work for studios and production companies. If you're really serious about entertainment, I would undoubtedly go to USC if the above schools are your only option. I'm not sure exactly what you want to do within entertainment law, but a lot of what I do is only based in Los Angeles, with a very very (very) small percentage based in NYC. Additionally, the market is just so incredibly oversaturated right now. I can't stress the enough. So, and I'm speaking from what I've seen and dealt with personally, but unless you go to a T3 AND are a rockstar, the best way to land a job is by networking and hustling from day one. Can you land an entertainment job from UVA? I'm sure you can, especially if you already have connections. But you're going to have a lot more opportunities if you're already in Los Angeles.

Again, I'm going to stress that I don't know exactly what you want to do. For example, I rarely deal with the music industry. I know nothing about that market. And if you have the connections to entertainment already, that makes this a whole different ballgame.
Thank you for that! Yes, I'm interested in the studio/television side of things. Not necessarily music, although I'm not opposed to it. Unfortunately, I don't have connections already, but am read to hustle as soon as I step foot in LA! Here are my other options:

1. Penn State (Full)
2. Texas ($76k)
3. Emory ($84k)
4. Georgetown
5. Howard ($90k)
6. GW ($75k)
7. Virginia ($60k)
8. UC Irvine ($135k)
9. Michigan ($45k)
10. Fordham
11. Cornell
12. Chicago
13. USC ($60k)

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:34 pm

umm, i think someone messed with the googledoc. is there a way for a mod to revert back to how it was formatted? i haven't checked since friday but i'm pretty darn sure those usernames/scores don't match with the admit/WL/rejection section anymore.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”