:trololol Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
harvardlaw2019

New

:trololol

Post by harvardlaw2019 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:09 am

trololololol
Last edited by harvardlaw2019 on Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nomo

Silver

Re: Low income, black woman dreaming of Crimson

Post by Nomo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:23 am

Don't go at age 20!!!!

Spend 3-6 years working first. This will actually boost your chances of getting into Harvard (or any other decent school). It will also give you some time to figure out what you want out of your career, and what type of firm/practice area will get you what you want.

There is no good reason to rush into start law school at age 20. If you wait until you are 26 to attend, and graduate at 30, you still have 30-40 years to practice law before you retire. Take the time to work in another career now. You won't regret it. I have never met a lawyer who regretted spending a few years working a different career before going to law school. But I know tons who regret going straight from undergrad to law school.

TransferHopeful17

New

Post by TransferHopeful17 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:30 am

If you're more excited about Harvard at this point than whatever you'll be doing afterward, I would work at least 2-3 years to get some experience and think about it. As it is, you would have a great personal statement, but your resume might be lacking--through no fault of your own...you're only 20. If you're that into K-JD, do it and don't look back, but know that your peers might have a slight advantage over you with post-grad WE. Also, law school? Not super fun that first year. You might want to treat yourself to fun for a few years before hitting the books again.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:41 am

Didn't read one thing about why you want to be a lawyer.

Harvard has other grad/pro schools too, if "crimson" is all you're really concerned about

MadwomanintheAttic

Bronze

Post by MadwomanintheAttic » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:58 am

Clemenceau wrote:Didn't read one thing about why you want to be a lawyer.

Harvard has other grad/pro schools too, if "crimson" is all you're really concerned about
+1 it sounds like you're more in love with getting a degree from Harvard and wearing their colors than actually being a lawyer. I would take some time and figure out if law is really what you want to do. If it is, you've got a great shot provided you get a good LSAT score and you can read the guides in that thread on how to get a great score.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:10 am

Indeed.

Might I also suggest one of the following fine institutions:
  1. Indiana University
    New Mexico State University
    Saint Joseph's University
    Tuskegee University
    University of Alabama
    University of Denver
    University of Mississippi
    University of Nebraska at Omaha
    University of Oklahoma
    University of Utah
    Washington State University
    Worcester Polytechnic Institute

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:10 am

I disagree somewhat with the posters above.

Some people know what they want at 20 and spending 3-6 years working could result in wasted time (depending on the job and seriousness of their goals).

However, I'm not sure Op has clear, serious goals. Wanting to go to Harvard for the sake of going to Harvard is pretty shallow. You mention interesting experiences regarding immigration, but I'm not sure that's what you want long term (maybe it is). But if it was, there are other lower cost ways of advancing immigration reform that might be equally (not very) lucrative and don't involve going to a professional school you might hate.

So yeah, it might make sense to figure out what you're passionate about AND whether law school (let alone Harvard) is the best way to advance your passions before you study for the LSAT.

Edit: scooped

Aristogeiton1

New

Post by Aristogeiton1 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:13 am

harvardlaw2019 wrote:Currently studying for the October LSAT using powerscore material. I have a 3.7 GPA and have dreamed of crimson(hence my username) for as long as I can remember. However, I have no idea how to express that without sounding generic. I am a (very) low income black woman and the child of an immigrant group that is basically non existent in T 14s to my knowledge. My noteworthy ECs deal with immigration reform involvement at the legislative and policy level as well as being my universities immigration reform club president. I am a high level manager at my university and I speak three languages. I also attend an Ivy league so my work load is rigorous and I know I can thrive in a stressful/ fast paced environment. Shooting for as high as I can get on the LSAT, (not looking for someone to tell me I only need "XYZ" score) I want to have the best possible shot and the highest possible score. I have an older brother that just received a very prestigious scholarship(can you guess) to attend Oxford.... and a sister that is about to start medical school. Although we are dirt poor, I was always told I would be even more fucked if I didn't kill the academic game ya' heard!!!! After my bro got into Oxford my mama literally said "why no Harvard?", so here I go, mission Crimson lets get it! I will also be 20 when entering law school if that matters at all in admissions, I've heard it can be negative :/
Sorry if this was too informal. Its 3am here and I just finished some studying so I am getting pumped up.

Words of advice/ wisdom? Suggestions for a diversity statement? Things I should highlight in my resume, etc.
You're a Black, low-income, woman, coming from an Ivy league with a good GPA, and average-slightly above average softs.
You're a shoe-in for all of the T-14 (except maybe Y & S), with a lot of scholarship money. All you need is a good LSAT and to flesh out good reasoning for why you want to go to law school.
I was thinking of starting law school at 20 too, but I'm taking a year or two off, I won't tell you to, but I'm sure you will have some promising options immediately after you graduate. Enjoy young-adulthood, and you're in a good position.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:38 am

harvardlaw2019 wrote: Words of advice/ wisdom? Suggestions for a diversity statement? Things I should highlight in my resume, etc.
If you're dead set on Harvard and not Yale/Stanford, being a URM and having a high GPA/LSAT will get you in without any sort of mindblowing softs.

If you're worried about being dirt poor, you will almost certainly be able to get a job - a GREAT job - with a 3.7 from an ivy UG. Taking a few years off to do something interesting (immigration?) can only help - not hurt.

Applying to law school isn't like college. It's not a mark of shame, nor is there a sentiment of "oh he/she couldn't hack it going straight from undergrad to law school and had to take a few years off" in not going straight through.

I REALLY suggest taking at least 1 year off and see what it's like to work full time on your own fully. It'll be fun, you'll make some money, and really a life experience you won't be able to have again if you head down the law path. Plus you'll have more time to study for the LSAT.

Julien_Benda

New

Post by Julien_Benda » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:59 am

You and your mother both sound insufferable.

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:11 am

Julien_Benda wrote:You and your mother both sound insufferable.

QuentonCassidy

Silver

Post by QuentonCassidy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:12 am

Last edited by QuentonCassidy on Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:21 am

QuentonCassidy wrote:
Dude.
Yeah, this is not really appropriate for the on-topics, thanks.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:22 am

Also it will help you immensely if you can legally drink in law school. For your sanity and your social life.

silenttimer

Bronze

Post by silenttimer » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:31 am

Just curious, why do you consider yourself "low income?" You are in college and have a job as a "manager."

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:32 am

Presumably low income refers to her background. Ivy League schools usually extend a LOT of financial aid to low income students.

harvardlaw2019

New

Post by harvardlaw2019 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:49 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:

Indeed.

Might I also suggest one of the following fine institutions:
  1. Indiana University
    New Mexico State University
    Saint Joseph's University
    Tuskegee University
    University of Alabama
    University of Denver
    University of Mississippi
    University of Nebraska at Omaha
    University of Oklahoma
    University of Utah
    Washington State University
    Worcester Polytechnic Institute

Roll tide? no wayyyy
Last edited by harvardlaw2019 on Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harvardlaw2019

New

Post by harvardlaw2019 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:51 pm

silenttimer wrote:Just curious, why do you consider yourself "low income?" You are in college and have a job as a "manager."
you righhhh gurllll urmmms yoouuu know trololol
Last edited by harvardlaw2019 on Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harvardlaw2019

New

Post by harvardlaw2019 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:52 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
QuentonCassidy wrote:
Dude.
Yeah, this is not really appropriate for the on-topics, thanks.
We are, come join for some tea soon?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:52 pm

I'm not saying you shouldn't go to Harvard or won't get in, but if you're not ok with going to any law school other than Harvard, you probably shouldn't go to law school.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:53 pm

I think you are probably trolling, but if not, you really need to work on your self esteem and image. Identifying yourself immediately as low income is really weird.

harvardlaw2019

New

Post by harvardlaw2019 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:54 pm

holaa trololol

harvardlaw2019

New

Post by harvardlaw2019 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:59 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:I think you are probably trolling, but if not, you really need to work on your self esteem and image. Identifying yourself immediately as low income is really weird.
foorelll? tell me moo

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”