. Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
AshburtonGrove

New

Post by AshburtonGrove » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:55 pm

Last edited by AshburtonGrove on Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

AnonymousApplicant

New

Re: AA Male, 164, 3.75-3.8

Post by AnonymousApplicant » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:12 pm

It isn't guaranteed but you have a pretty good shot at Harvard, and you'd be a shoe-in if you were to retake and get a 166+. But again, your chances are already pretty good. I don't about stanford but I've heard of people with your numbers who have gotten into Yale, so you never know.

ltowns1

Silver

Post by ltowns1 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:23 pm

AshburtonGrove wrote:Hey everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster. Just got my first LSAT score and I'm trying to figure out what my chances may be for t14 + ucla/usc acceptances and money. I know the conventional wisdom is to retake and obviously I'm strongly considering retaking it in October, but I'd like to know where I stand now.

Additional info:
AA male, just finished UG, 164, 3.75-3.8, decent softs but nothing abnormally spectacular (several leadership positions and awards during UG and interesting internships).

I know t14 is relatively in play, but how am I looking for HS or $$$? Thanks for any help, and sorry for clogging up the forum along with all the other hopeful 0Ls who just got their score.

Unless you reallllly want to go there, and/or you have personal reasons for why you said UCLA or USC, I would just forget about both of them! Lol seriously with your score and GPA you'll prob.get into almost anywhere you want. I echo everything the previous poster said. Your chances are good in regards to Harvard and Stanford. A 165 would be pretty hard to turn down anywhere with the exception of Yale. In short, forget about UCLA/USC. If your chances are good with the #2 and #3 law schools in the country, you'll probably be able to get in anywhere. Apply to the all the t-14 schools. I think you'll like your results. Lol If you want money at H or S you will probably need to retake, but again, you're looking pretty good in regards to most of the t-14 and money as well.
Last edited by ltowns1 on Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:40 pm

ltowns1 wrote:
Long time lurker, first time poster. Just got my first LSAT score and I'm trying to figure out what my chances may be for t14 + ucla/usc acceptances and money. I know the conventional wisdom is to retake and obviously I'm strongly considering retaking it in October, but I'd like to know where I stand now.

Additional info:
AA male, just finished UG, 164, 3.75-3.8, decent softs but nothing abnormally spectacular (several leadership positions and awards during UG and interesting internships).

I know t14 is relatively in play, but how am I looking for HS or $$$? Thanks for any help, and sorry for clogging up the forum along with all the other hopeful 0Ls who just got their score.

Unless you reallllly want to go there, and/or you have personal reasons for why you said UCLA or USC, I would just forget about both of them! Lol seriously with your score and GPA you'll prob.get into almost anywhere you want. I echo everything the previous poster said. Your chances are good in regards to Harvard and Stanford. A 165 would be pretty hard to down anywhere with the exception of Yale. In short, forget about UCLA/USC. If your chances are good with the #2 and #3 law schools in the country, you'll probably be able to get in anywhere. Apply to the all the t-14 schools. I think you'll like your results. Lol If you want money at H or S you will probably need to retake, but again, you're looking pretty good in regards to most of the t-14 and money as well.
neither H nor S "gives money"

ltowns1

Silver

Post by ltowns1 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:50 pm

Clearly wrote:
ltowns1 wrote:

Additional info:

Unless you reallllly want to go there, and/or you have personal reasons for why you said UCLA or USC, I would just forget about both of them! Lol seriously with your score and GPA you'll prob.get into almost anywhere you want. I echo everything the previous poster said. Your chances are good in regards to Harvard and Stanford. A 165 would be pretty hard to down anywhere with the exception of Yale. In short, forget about UCLA/USC. If your chances are good with the #2 and #3 law schools in the country, you'll probably be able to get in anywhere. Apply to the all the t-14 schools. I think you'll like your results. Lol If you want money at H or S you will probably need to retake, but again, you're looking pretty good in regards to most of the t-14 and money as well.
Earn it??? Lol

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:03 pm

ltowns1 wrote:
Clearly wrote:
ltowns1 wrote:

Additional info:

Earn it??? Lol
HYS don't give merit scholarships is what I'm saying.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:06 pm

ltowns1 wrote:Earn it??? Lol
HYS only give need-based aid. No merit scholarships.

ltowns1

Silver

Post by ltowns1 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:30 pm

stasg wrote:

Oh wow...didn't know that. How many other schools are like that?

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:07 pm

ltowns1 wrote:
stasg wrote:

It's usually how elite private colleges work for undergrad. For grad school/law/etc, I think it's just the best of the best

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:17 pm

ltowns1 wrote:
stasg wrote:

The rest of the T14 give merit aid.

AshburtonGrove

New

Post by AshburtonGrove » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:13 pm

Thanks for the responses, everyone. To clarify, my question regarding merit aid was for the non-YHS t14 schools. We all know there's a URM boost for admission to these schools, but does the same thing happen for scholarship money? There seems to be much less data on this

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:59 am

AshburtonGrove wrote:Thanks for the responses, everyone. To clarify, my question regarding merit aid was for the non-YHS t14 schools. We all know there's a URM boost for admission to these schools, but does the same thing happen for scholarship money? There seems to be much less data on this
Yes, your 164 3.75-3.8 will reward you with scholarship money.

With your numbers you're at least going to get $$ from Penn on down (assuming you get in and have a good app). You'd be crazy to settle for less when it comes down to negotiating with schools. I'm not sure about T6 money on up.

Not all of these people quite fit your profile, but I think it's fair to build expectations off of them.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/mindthegap

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Flokk

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/JustAnotherNumber

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Anonzzz

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/mww5278

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/amw342

hamyeezy

New

Post by hamyeezy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:58 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by hamyeezy on Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

AnonymousApplicant

New

Post by AnonymousApplicant » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:17 pm

Hamyeezy, with respect, it is impossible for an AA male with a 170+ LSAT to get rejected from any school except for Y. As for OP, yes, you can expect some scholarship money from some of the lower-T14 schools. However, again, shoot for HYS, because you have a shot, especially at H.

AshburtonGrove

New

Post by AshburtonGrove » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:29 pm

Thank you all SO much for the info/advice/encouragement. Really appreciate all of it and you've definitely instilled a lot of confidence moving forward :D :D :D

ltowns1

Silver

Post by ltowns1 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:25 pm

AshburtonGrove wrote:Thank you all SO much for the info/advice/encouragement. Really appreciate all of it and you've definitely instilled a lot of confidence moving forward :D :D :D

Lol confidence should have came from yourself with those scores man! Good luck moving forward.

Oskosh

Silver

Post by Oskosh » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:07 am

When it comes to reverse splitters like us, do schools really take the time to look at an applicants essays and work experiences? Just curious, because the fact that YHS have admitted 160+ applicants is pretty neat, as it shows that they actually read the files of people with those numbers. Good luck to you, OP!

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:59 am

Very good chance at H, but it's not for sure. 166 and you're golden.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”