Hispanic URM...do related courses matter? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Broncos15

Bronze

Hispanic URM...do related courses matter?

Post by Broncos15 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:15 pm

Hello,

I was curious .....would i be impacted in a negative way from any URM boost if I am struggling in a Spanish course in UG?

I was born and raised here but my mother is Hispanic. Because of the influence i have had Spanish spoken around the home and was exposed to it....but not so much the grammatical nuances in a course. I feel having this influence helped me test out of Spanish 1 and 2 at my UG institution since I got the credits without prior studying..., but then in Spanish 3 I felt totally unprepared since the teacher gave us exercise problems without teaching or giving an explanation to the correct answers

Now I am in Spanish 4 ( the most advanced one needed for my graduation) ....and struggling since this is my first time getting formal teaching in a Spanish course in 5 years.

From a URM perspective: would struggling in this course and getting a B/C hurt me anymore than getting a B or C in a History course for example

itascot1992

Bronze

Re: Hispanic URM...do related courses matter?

Post by itascot1992 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:18 pm

Broncos15 wrote:Hello,

I was curious .....would i be impacted in a negative way from any URM boost if I am struggling in a Spanish course in UG?

I was born and raised here but my mother is Hispanic. Because of the influence i have had Spanish spoken around the home and was exposed to it....but not so much the grammatical nuances in a course. I feel having this influence helped me test out of Spanish 1 and 2 at my UG institution since I got the credits without prior studying..., but then in Spanish 3 I felt totally unprepared since the teacher gave us exercise problems without teaching or giving an explanation to the correct answers

Now I am in Spanish 4 ( the most advanced one needed for my graduation) ....and struggling since this is my first time getting formal teaching in a Spanish course in 5 years.

From a URM perspective: would struggling in this course and getting a B/C hurt me anymore than getting a B or C in a History course for example
No, thats like saying a lightskin black person is not as much a URM than a darkskinned black person

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:19 pm

What? No. I seriously doubt anyone's checking up extensively on your URM credentials. In some states they legally can't.

See this for more info:
http://www.lsac.org/jd/diversity-in-law ... applicants

Broncos15

Bronze

Post by Broncos15 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:20 pm

The reason I ask is because those applicants who show that being a URM has a provided them a diverse perspective are more likely to get any boost compared to someone who simply checks off the ethnicity box on LSAC

Tr3

Silver

Post by Tr3 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:35 pm

Nope, I don't think it will hurt you. I'm MA and got a B- in a Spanish class and had a good cycle. Just make sure your GPA stays high. (I also did really well in other Spanish classes, though...)

Anyway, I doubt it'll affect you.

BearsintheRafters

New

Post by BearsintheRafters » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:41 pm

I'm also an MA, and I never took Spanish classes (French... such a dumb decision). Moreover, I didn't write a diversity statement for my applications. I still had a great cycle, and from what I can tell I got the URM bump. I think adcomms will appreciate any unique experience you bring to the table, but they won't challenge you to prove how URM you are.

However from what I understand, it IS important to be MA! I don't think other Hispanic ethnicities get the same bump.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:05 pm

no

Broncos15

Bronze

Post by Broncos15 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:08 pm

So there is essentially no difference between getting a B in Spanish and a B in History for a HIspanic URM

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:32 pm

Broncos15 wrote:So there is essentially no difference between getting a B in Spanish and a B in History for a HIspanic URM
that would be like asking if black URMs get dinged for getting a B in african american literature or something

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”